Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Some Dealers Will Try

Asking price and selling price are two very different things.
    I watch many guns that start at a ridiculous price and never get a bid.
    I guess the seller really doesn't want to sell it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I think guys who list a lot get sloppy with their ads. I have seen it a bunch of times. Need to email ad clarify

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I think they're scarce because nobody wanted or bought them before they were discontinued.

They evidently never found a niche-
    For a duty revolver, there's a bunch of other choices that seem to be preferred over a large-ish frame, 3", 5 shot.
    For a concealed carry revolver, its rather big and heavy.
    For recreational/target shooting, for most people it'd be pretty expensive to feed.
    Good ole' Charter Arms Bulldog has filled the bill since 72' for 200-400 bucks.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    After going to gunshows for many years, I decided that when used car dealers get drummed out of the business for being unethical, they start selling guns.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Master
    There used to be a term of derision called a “pretty feather merchant”. He seems to qualify.
    You can’t really call him a “dealer”.
    More accurately a “Museum Curator”.
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 12-09-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master

I was screwing around on GB about 2 months ago and saw a 629-6 for $885. Looked the pics over, real barrel, Hillary hoe, 3" with less than 8 hours on the auction. Said to myself it was going cheap, Davidson's did a run on yhem I seemed to recall and they were going 15 or better. Decided to push the bid alottle and won the bid @ 890.00. Checked when I got home Sunday night and low and behold, no other bids.

Teach ne to not mess around

Moderator Emeritus

The 696 family, if I recall (??) was only produced from 1999 to 2005 or 2006. The version with the $3,200.00 price tag is in fact the most-desired original "no-dash" model, which sported its firing pin in its hammer. While some profess this feature was eliminated before the first dash edition, the 696-1 is distinguished by the absence of this hammer-pin. A couple of other dashes followed which were believed to be less desirable than the no-dash or 696-1.
    The Charter Arms Bulldog is also a 5-shot .44 S&W Special, and most weigh in at between 19 and twenty ounces. The 696's weigh in at almost exactly one U S pound (16 oz) more!
    In my neck of the woods () Bulldogs do show up, albeit rarely, and the ones I have seen have price tags of $500 to $650 on them, with a few in the $800.00 range!. On the other hand, I've only seen one 696 (the 696-1 version) which had a $999.99 tag on it! I actually fondled it, and had quite the conversation with dealer about it. He indicated that if it had not the dash, the tag would 1st, have been $500.00 more; and 2nd -- the revolver would surely had been out the door! (This was about one year ago... prices surely have escalated?)
    The way I view it, if you're in the market for Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup, just about every grocery has lots of cans, so it's a buyer's market. On the other hand, if there's but one available -- whatever it may be -- and, there's also someone out there who wants "it" badly enough -- they'll pay the price!
    I recall attending an auction where ONE bottle of wine went for eighteen hundred U S dollars!
    Had I had the resources, that 696-1 definitely would now be mine!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    Gunbroker’s biggest flaw is that it allows FREE adds, often becoming nothing more than a showplace for stupid prices and scammers.
    Allowing adds to run for free, indefinitely, invites over-priced crap postings to flood the site. You can find entire stores listed at stupid prices because it costs nothing to be too greedy there.

Giving a free week, maybe, then charging a fee that would discourage the over-inflated prices every week would go a long way towards improving Gunbroker over all.
    A different option might be charging weekly UNLESS you reduce the listing by a certain percentage until it reaches a real selling price.
    You would need a clause that banned pulling an item only to re-list it later in an attempt to abuse the one free-week benefit.

Either option would eliminate a lot of the trash that overwhelms Gunbroker, and would promote a more consumer friendly site that would only bring listings to a more realistic value.
    It would also totally eliminate the pages of “stupid” listed by “dealers” that have their entire over-priced inventory wasting bandwidth ONLY because they can do it for FREE… forever.
    That would destroy the site. They've already raised their fees on sellers, and banned certain words in titles and descriptions. Charging yet more money has the potential to really hurt the bottom line of businesses, and dissuade private sellers from even using the site. I'd absolutely leave if they tried to centrally manage prices as you've described. It can take many relistings for an item to sell, even at a fair price, it depends on many different factors.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    That would destroy the site. They've already raised their fees on sellers, and banned certain words in titles and descriptions. Charging yet more money has the potential to really hurt the bottom line of businesses, and dissuade private sellers from even using the site. I'd absolutely leave if they tried to centrally manage prices as you've described. It can take many relistings for an item to sell, even at a fair price, it depends on many different factors.
    I’ve already pretty much left/ignored Gunbroker because of the excessive useless garbage listings.
    The site suffers from self-inflicted wounds, mainly running over-priced adds indefinitely for FREE. That leads to pages and pages of “useless”, and many serious buyers simply ignore the site because of it.
    I’ve bought and sold on Gunbroker for decades, and it’s always been a problem.
    If your item doesn’t sell, you’ve over-priced it for the market. I NEVER had problems selling…NOTHING on Gunbroker sits long when priced right.

They’d get more traffic, more sales, and generate more profit by having less trash listings (the vast majority of the site) and more competitive prices.
    How do you accomplish that?…. Offer a free limited time listing, then demand a realistic price reduction to keep your “free add” status or start charging a fee to get rid of all the trash listings that overwhelm the site today with no intention of ever selling… Cheap storefronts for greedy scammers.
    They’ve “raised fees” on sellers to survive because their business model sucks, and it’s their only way to generate funds.

A more consumer-friendly business model that discourages ridiculous listings by sellers that know they can get away with it for free would only improve the site.
    Less trash listings would encourage more serious buyer traffic and more sales…That would allow easing the pressure of generating funds only by increasing seller fees.
    It’s a win/win.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

"vintage", "rare", "scarce" im not sure who the numbnuts are that react to this tripe and throw their money away. I also have a giant red flag waving at the C&R. Im getting old but im not that old to remember the 90's isnt C&R but there is a sucker as P.T. Barnum said
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    "vintage", "rare", "scarce" im not sure who the numbnuts are that react to this tripe and throw their money away. I also have a giant red flag waving at the C&R. Im getting old but im not that old to remember the 90's isnt C&R but there is a sucker as P.T. Barnum said
    "When these are gone, there wont be anymore!".........Jon, you said exactly what i was thinking!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Good ole' Charter Arms Bulldog has filled the bill since 72' for 200-400 bucks.
    Yes sir, their latest incarnation, the pug ugly stainless Charter Arms magnums, are just about right as it gets though nowadays everything gives this elderly purchaser a severe sticker shock to the system.

Boolit Buddy
    Unless the thing I'm looking for is not widely known or not as desirable, you end up with 800 listing that you have to pour through to find the thing for which you are looking. Maybe if their search feature was better or something I would use it more, but as it stands, I only check there for somewhat oddball stuff. I did find a Hornady LnL shellplate for 30 carbine on there for about 50% of other retailers, but it was very specific.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12