Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 240gr Elmer Keith hardcast loads

Vendor Sponsor

Push a .430" boolit through the cylinder throats from the front, see if they go or if you gotta force them. If you have to force them, then the cylinder will size them down to throat diameter, and with BHN18 you may or may not see much obturation, so you may see leading.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    As DougGuy said, the cylinder throat size will be the major factor in leading. I was gifted some old Laser cast (BHN 21) sized at .430. All my guns prefer .431. As long as I got the velocity up around 1000 they would bump up and not lead, below a thousand they leaded. Larry is right a light coating of LAA will help. The other thing you can try is use Tightgroup or Bullseye and start at 850 fps. I have noticed these faster powders pressure curve helps in situations like this, assuming your throats are larger than .430. I can shoot undersized bullets with unique starting in the 9.0/9.5 range under a 240 swc with no leading. I can not remember the tightgroup charge.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    i was going to check this after it was mentioned. the first loads i was going to try was with 10grs of titegroup. from different sources it tells me i should be around 1288( this came from load data. com) but i was going to start out a 9.0 and chrono them. i figure at this hard of boolit i would want something a little fast/hot. am i correct?

Boolit Buddy
    btw, i was looking thru several threads and came upon one that i think was from laser cast boolits from Oregon trail.
    the link looked like lsrc. something or other. it was load data for their cast boolits. i went to their site and i didnt find anything.
    another search i did for this brought up someone saying they paid 24.95 for the data but now it was free.

anyone know where i can find this data or was it dropped from oregon`s web site?

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried my bookmark for the online manual and it is gone. It used to be a pdf document. I did print the pages I use the most but I guess I should have saved the whole thing. Interesting data but not much you cant find in other places other than the cowboy data. I just checked the Hodgen's online site and 10.0 is max with a 240 at 1288 for titegroup. A little hot for my personal preferences and I would use Unique or 4227 for the 1000 to 1150 velocity range. 2400 and H110 will do it as well, they are just a little blasty for my taste.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for looking

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Push a .430" boolit through the cylinder throats from the front, see if they go or if you gotta force them. If you have to force them, then the cylinder will size them down to throat diameter, and with BHN18 you may or may not see much obturation, so you may see leading.
    dougguy,
    i just put one of my boolits down into the cyl, even with a little bit of force it would not go thru.

Boolit Buddy
    do anyone of you know of another manufacturer of liquid alox besides Lee? never used this stuff before so i was looking on line and reading some reviews and several if not quite alot said they received the 4oz bottle and when they went to use it it did not pour...it had to be squeezed out the bottle because it was thick like old wood glue. said you could use thinner but i did not want to mess around like that if i did not have to. i dont have a local shop around here to buy some so i have to order online & i dont want a bottle that was laying around for a long time. thats why i was wondering if another maker besides Lee made the alox. thnx!

Boolit Buddy
    did a little looking around. i found LS`s 45-45-10 lube & a lube called Rooster Jacket (makers claim its a very good product up to 1,400 f.p.s.
    anyone used one or the other or both?

Boolit Buddy
    Another fly in the ointment may be a bevel base on the commercial cast bullets that will make leading more possible with any but light loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    LS 45-45-10, which is the commercial version of the Recluse 45/45/10 formula=45% Alox, 45% Johnson's Furniture wax, and 10% mineral Spirits, works very well. If it is a little too thick, warm it up. Place the bottle in a pan of hot (not boiling) water and let it set for 10-15 minutes and you'll be good to go.

If you want to make your own, just check the stickies in the Lube and Coatings section. That's what I did and it works as well as the store bought and dries faster than the LLA.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    just bought 16oz from lsstuff. they also told me it dries fast. thnx.

Boolit Buddy
    You've been given a lot of good advice. I'm onboard with Larry, H110/W296 and IMR4227 are the best powders you have listed for the 44 mag. working in the 21 to 23 grain range. IMR4227 you can load down and use a standard primer if you wanted. Before I began casting my own boolits, Montana Bullet Works is a great company to deal with for good bullets and great customer service along with the folks at lsstuff. There is 2400 out there if you search hard, I just bought 5 one pounders about a month ago. I'm also a fan of Accurate #9, Blue Dot, Universal and Longshot in my various 44's with cast boolits. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks, been doing some good reading from the LASC.US site. learning a lot from that site. one thing i`m remembering is a formula
    of 1440 x the BHN of the cast boolit to try to prevent leading. i just purchased 500 keith style 240gr cast from missouri boolits.
    they have a bhn of 18. if i load my rounds to 25-26k (according to the formula) i should not have a problem with obturation, which i had a concern about.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that formula.

Leading is more about fit and the lube used than about BHN. A BHN 18 bullet of 240 gr in the 44 Magnum can easily be shot at 36,000 psi (the SAAMI MAP) w/o any leading if the fit is correct and an appropriate lube is used. I've [along with hundreds if not thousands of others] shot thousands of said load [Keith's classic 22 gr of 2400] over the years w/o any leading using 240 - 255 gr bullets cast of COWW allow having a BHN of 11 - 12. Many, many other examples that we've been shooting for years with rifle and handgun cartridges that prove the formula wrong.

There are many things [myths, superstitions and old wife's tales]in this game that have been printed and sound good but in reality, are not factual. That formula, along with Lee's, are dogs that won't hunt.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    will take that in consideration. still learning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12