RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Guns Have You Lost by Accident or had stolen ?

All of them on a canoe trip in the wilderness.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Lost - 0

Stolen - 3

Recovered and returned by police - 1

I still hope my other two guns show up one day . a Star Model PS in 45 acp and a Walther PPK in 32 acp

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man

To date, only one gun stolen out of our house, probably by someone we had cleaning for us when we were both working crazy hours, or some punk kid "friend" of our oldest boy. It was a Marlin 60 semiauto 22 rifle. My first gun was the Glenfield 20, bolt action 22. I still have that one. It was actually at my parents' house being neglected when the Marlin was stolen, or it would probably be gone too. I retrieved it in 2013. It had light surface rust all over, and my stepdad had replaced a lost Tasco scope mount bolt with just some other screw. So I completely disassembled it, cleaned everything with 0000 steel wool and gun oil, and put it back together with a new Barska scope and mounts. It looks great with all original finish, and it is a tack driver with that long barrel that you just don't see on 22s anymore. Now it's in a safe in our house with the rest of our horses of many different makes and calibers. But I wish I still had the Marlin semiauto as the sister gun to the Glenfield bolt.

Boolit Master

2 Enfield rifles were stolen out of my closet. Might have been my roommate, hard to prove. Fortunately they/he didn't see my Marlin 39A hanging in the back as it had a case. Replaced the Enfields, but the Marlin was given to me by my dad and wouldn't have been able to be replaced. Now I have a very stout gunsafe, so that won't happen again.

Boolit Master

I have been very blessed. I have only lost one through theft. My truck gun was stolen once.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    One, by family. 'Nuff said.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    My son had 4 long guns stolen from a home he lived in during college, but fortunately, he was good friends with a Texas Ranger at the time and they helped recover all of the firearms. They also busted a drug ring at the same time; the group was into all types of crime and had already fenced the guns, but the law was able to find them.

A good friend of mine dropped a .357 Colt Trooper in a duffel bag then put the bag on top of his car and drove away. He went about 3-4 miles before realizing his mistake - but he never found the bag. Someone saw it fall and stopped to pick it up before my buddy turned around.

None at all. But my daughter had a revolver that I gave her stolen from her vehicle parked in her driveway, and it was recovered and returned by the State Police 2 1/2 years later.

DG

Boolit Master
    Had a cop steal the first gun I ever bought, a 4” Ruger GP100.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I had one stolen out of a pickup. old 12g single shot junker I had just bought and stopped on way home.
    years later the local Leo called me to ID the gun, it was now a sawed off with short stock, I told him to keep it.

one day I had the Feds track me down through my Father (I had moved out on my own by than). years prior I had traded/sold a Ruger MarkII I used to own. it was used in a crime: they had the purp, but wanted to put the gun in his hands. this was back in the years before computers. I only deal with favorite dealers so I had a good idea where I traded it. but the dealer has passed on and I think the feds has his records, so they know right where to look. I never heard back from the Feds so I think they got there man

Boolit Master

Hands down I have a sizable collection of firearms and I would trade them all to recover just two inexpensive guns stolen from me in 1970'
    My grandfather was dying of lung cancer in Kansas in 1963 at age 71. I was 16 and living in California. He had sent to me his bolt action Mossberg 20 gauge with the screw on chokes and a bolt action Remington .22 also a 60lb recurve bow he had built for me. Along with a large cedar chest with all his flyfishing equipment he had taught me with. They were both taken in a burglary. It had to be some punks in the neighborhood and I put out offers for their return of several times the value, to no avail. That really hurt. But, the worse was to come. Paranoid about my stuff being stolen I kept the recurve bow he had made me in the truck of my car for safety. While I was out of town for a couple days
    I managed to violate some parking ordinance and my car was towed. When I went to get it the bow was gone from the trunk along with my spare tire. To this day I hate tow trucks and the thieves that operate them.

Over the ensuing years I have bought exact examples of the 20 gauge and .22 rifle. Just to have them. The modified screw choke for the 20 gauge I still have and it rides on the one I have now. I'v taken game with it regular thinking about my grandfather hands on it at least.
    Finally at age 46 I was able to get to his grave in Osawatomie Kansas in 1993.

I had the feds return another gun I frankly wished at the time I'd never see again.

I still have my 1970's RG .22 snub nose. In fact in the summertime here in Mississippi I pack that thing in my right rear pocket loaded w/5 rounds No12 snake shot. I "cleaned" the barrel til there wasn't much left of the rifling. Took off the fat plastic grips and wrapped the gun grip with very little black tape to give it a slim profile. That short barrel does not distort or spin the shot pattern and I get a perfect pie plate size cloud landing on those pesky water moc's that show up here weekly crossing from the creek on one side of the house to the pond on the other side. Back in the 70's I was fishing off a jetty near Balboa in Calif. and had the RG in my pocket. Stayed to late and the waves took me off it. Lost my pants in the rescue by some surfers. Long story short 2 days later I had the Feds on my front porch. They had a big time drug dealer dead on the beach. Shot with a .22, plus my pants and the RG with 5 empty shells in it. ( Had a little Jack Daniels and was shooting crabs off the rocks, Oh well ) Anyway, that little piece of junk and me had quite the adventure. Final... Fed Agent said your not who we'er looking for. Gave me a slip of paper to reclaim my property at the Huntington Beach Office. Went down a week later to get my "Roscoe" and it was in a ziploc bag full of sand and saltwater. One big ball of rust. Well that was a waste of time I thought. Came home and dropped it in a solvent tank I had in my shop. Forgot about it. A month later fished it out and Wa' La'..Looked like new. 50 years and still being of use to me.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Several. Someone cut the lock on a storage unit and took all long guns and a shotgun plus a bunch of tools. Thankfully, all my handguns of the time were with me. Nothing much of value and all told maybe $1,500 if generous but still irks me to no end. The State Police were very good and took the list but I never saw any of them again probably due to my losing my SN list so it was description only. A few were very distinctive and I am positive I saw the 12g in a lgs for sale. They wouldn't tell me who brought it in so I called the State Cop who took my info and he called. They told him of course but I never heard anything back although I know it was the gun. The insurance guy for the tools was great and I even sold him a Sig P239 I was letting go.

Only 2 of the guns really mattered. Both from my grandfather, a 308 and a 12g. Common in used racks nothing special to anyone but me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

All of my firearms were lost in a boating accident.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    60 stolen and 12 recovered. Perps to Federal Pen

Boolit Master

Luckily, none.

Boolit Master
    None
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    In the late 80's my Father gave me a new Charter Arms Undercover with a factory bobbed hammer. It was the most accurate 2" barrel revolver I have ever owned. I had a friend that was going through some very hard times, I was trying to help him anyway I could. The pistol was there and several hours latter I discovered it gone, couldn't have been anyone else and I told him so. Never went back and he never asked why. I think that's about as low as you can get.

I reported it stolen, I think you are required to report stolen firearms.

None, Thank You !

Boolit Buddy
    Around forty years ago I had a Beretta 92S (serial number B55748Z) stolen out of my home. I've also had a pistol damaged in an auto accident, but the worst was I once lent a "friend" a Remington 572 22 L.R. to take on a canoe trip. He used it to drive tent stakes, I kid you not. I did get the 572 back though.

Boolit Buddy
    None of my own, but twice guns I sold to a friend have been stolen in burglaries. Same friend, same house. In the first instance the perps had hours to toss the place and removed a large gun safe unopened. They were both good guns and I was madder than my friend. I have had two attempted burglaries at my current home but have measures in place that have so far been effective.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast