RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Does the MP311-235 hollow point work with 308 Winchester?

Does the MP311-235 hollow point work with 308 Winchester?

Hello

Can any one say if this mold will feed from magazine with out jamming up and whether or not it can be made accurate in 308 Winchester rifles?
    My concern is it may be too long.

From the MP-MOLDS website:

Cast .311 cal. – 233 grain solid

216 grain GAS CHECK Hollow point

230 grain PLAIN BASE Hollow point

NO LUBE GROOVE

Meplat to Crimp Groove: 0.872″

Crimp Groove to Base GC: 0.324″

Crimp Groove to Base PB:0.383″

Brass 3 cavity

Steel sprue plate

Hardened steel alignment pins

Allen keys included

RCBS/Lyman top punch included

Use LEE 6 cavity handle or MP mold handles (NOT included)

See our product pictures in gallery

I want to use this with rifles I already have as opposed to buying the blackout that it is designed for.

I have been casting and shooting the MP 308 HUNTER and the LEE 170RF bullets in 308 Winchester. These bullets are pretty fun however they are short and blunt.

The rifle is a Ruger American Hunter with a Leupold 1-4 and Magpul AICS plastic magazines.

The problem I am having is the nose shape hangs up when feeding and jams up, sometimes damaging the bullets nose and I must remove the magazine to clear the double feed.

The LEE bullet is more accurate with IMR3031 and the MP308HUNTER is more accurate with Trail Boss.

Started testing the Hunter bullet with Winchester Auto Comp and it worked!

I have also been looking at the RCBS silhouette bullet mold and a couple others too.

I am open to any suggestions as well. I have been loading the bullets so the cartridge mouth matches the crimp groove that is why the overall length around 2 1/2"
    Thank you for the time and any responses are appreciated.

It is perfect heavy bullet for .308 Win, (also .30-06
    And .300 WM) it is bore rider and proved very accurate in folowing rifles, cycling perfectly in cal.308 Win: Mauser M18, Sako A7, Sako M85, Bergara B14 and break open Blaser K95 and Bergara B13.

You can easily seat to to crimp groove and despite looking long, it will work. Nose protrude into chamber but not touch rifling. I seat 1mm shorter because of my M18 magazine.

Accuracy: me and my friends with those rifles mostly use this bullet for subsonic work in .308, no GC attached. We cast it from 20:1 alloy of lead and tin and so far expansion is better or on pair with Sub-X.

This year I tested it with GC and used 5744 for reduced loads, 21,22,22,24 (500 m/s) and 25 grains practically same group. See photo above.

To make it subsonic, 9.5grs of TrailBoss will work for you, similar with TinStar.

Purple bullet photo is from my friend who used it in .300 WinMag, reduced load.

It has a smaller HP then MP 312-159 Hunting, but it has weight and seated right it doesn’t protrude below neck, as Hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet looks great, is it for 300 blackout too?

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Official name is MP 311-235 AAC BLK and was designed for .300 BLK. You will get around 220grs, depends on a design ( NLG, FB, GC…HP..)
    Designed as bore rider it doesn’t protrude into case.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    i load the non HP plainbase version for several B/O's, lets just leave it at it shoots pretty good
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_173355 (1).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	308408
    Last edited by pacomdiver; 12-22-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Wow gamsek thank you for sharing all that information and pictures!

Interesting I have a 2 problems with chambering the rounds when powder coated and loading in 300 black out, Ruger American ranch 300 BLK with pmag BLK magazines.

1) After successfully leaving the mag and entering the chamber-The bullets hang up in the throat and it become difficult to close or open the bolt. The solution for the chambering problem I have found is to hitek the bullets. Powder coat makes the noses too wide.

2) Sometimes it is challenging to feed from the magazine correctly. I have been adjusting cartridge overall length and currently settled at 2.2" for best feeding with the 311-235NLG/GC.

The cartridges nose dive and double feed if it does not go perfectly. Then I have to remove the mag to fix the jam.

I have been sizing through a lee .311 size die.

Yesterday assembled a batch sized through a lee .309 size die. Will test soon for feeding and leading and accuracy.

Do y'all have any solutions??

Soon eventually I'll open the worm can in 308

Boolit Bub
    I have had the same experience with this nose rider design. Fine tuning the nose diameter with NOE push trough nose sizing dies cleared the issue for me. I wasn’t excited about purchasing more tools for a mold that I had just bought. However, after nose sizing there is absolutely no issue chambering and extracting the powder coated pills.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Butcher View Post
    I have had the same experience with this nose rider design. Fine tuning the nose diameter with NOE push trough nose sizing dies cleared the issue for me. I wasn’t excited about purchasing more tools for a mold that I had just bought. However, after nose sizing there is absolutely no issue chambering and extracting the powder coated pills.
    Hello Mr Buck butcher could you describe how much work and what tools and time is involved in nose sizing?

Is it like a half way lee push through sizer, push it in then punch it out?