Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone experienced mice eating lubricant from cast bullets?

Boolit Master

If you're going to feed them, feed them Decon.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I have a little 9 pound chihuahua-****zu mix that LOVES to hunt mice so I don't have any issues here.

What's funny is to take her to Home Depot or Lowes and watch her hunt their mice. She has a great sniffer and knows they're there and goes crazy for them every time.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Another
    No But, I had squirrels bend up and chew on the lead flashing around the vent pipes on my roof.
    they're gone now though,

The vent pipes or the squirrels?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    The vent pipes or the squirrels?
    Both, I have moved...
    Thanks for asking though,

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

our possum, Bob, chowed down on some lube sticks before we started feeding him

he gets dry dog food and a few grapes.

rooms with the two outdoor cats, Marmalade and Miss Gray, in the garage when temp drops.

No mice, no bugs and Bob is cute in an ugly way
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I have a little 9 pound chihuahua-****zu mix that LOVES to hunt mice so I don't have any issues here.

What's funny is to take her to Home Depot or Lowes and watch her hunt their mice. She has a great sniffer and knows they're there and goes crazy for them every time.

--Wag--
    Maybe I should trade in all our cats for a chihuahua. They never did anything about my mouse and rat problems. Only poison works for me now. However, I once rented a house with a severe mouse problem. I adopted a cat and the first day I saw her eating one. A week later no more mouse problems. I think my wife spoils our cats with too much food now.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Maybe I should trade in all our cats for a chihuahua. They never did anything about my mouse and rat problems. Only poison works for me now. However, I once rented a house with a severe mouse problem. I adopted a cat and the first day I saw her eating one. A week later no more mouse problems. I think my wife spoils our cats with too much food now.
    I have three other chihuahuas who couldn't care less about mice so YMMV. Little Bella loves 'em, though. I found her playing with one in the yard one day, having the time of her life with a mouse that she tortured to death. One of the other little dogs is almost 100% chihuahua and loves to catch sparrows but he's not a great hunter. In eight or so years, he's caught two and stole one from a hawk one day, with Bella's help, of course.

And yes, if you overfeed cats, they get lazy and will not hunt.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

No !!! I had no idea they ate beeswax !
    50+ years with beeswax , sticks of boolit lube and lubed boolits in a small wood framed out-building and I haven't had them eat any of it .
    We do have a couple cats but they aren't that young and when I notice "rat tracks" I put out DeCon Rat Chow ... I keep putting out Rat Chow until it stops getting ate up .
    I need to get some more for my Garage , thanks for reminding me !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Mice can be particular. I once pulled my tulip, gladiolus, and daffodil bulbs and put them in paper sacks on the basement steps for temporary storage . I have an old Michigan basement and it has mice. All of the tulip bulbs were eaten but the daffodil bulbs and the gladiolus corms were not touched. I had heard that daffodils were poisonous and I guess the mice knew too. A friend brought me a bunch of lead round balls that were purposed for his Cap and Ball revolver and there were several that had been chewed by a rodent.

Boolit Master

I've had them chow down on bullet lube sticks for the Lyman sizer. Now I poly coat. So far they haven't tried the poly paint.

That would explain the tiny squirt marks in the garage.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    ... Outside, in the Barn... Double Bubble, bubble gum... All critters, from mice to Raccoons, (certainly ground hogs) love it ... Kills 'em !!!
    I had a ground hog (call'em woodchucks here) in my garden. Fed it so much bubblegum it was laughing at me. A Conibear #2 with apple slices on the trigger wires got it first set. Conibears are illegal in my state even for licensed trappers but was at the end of my rope trying things and found one online at a True Value about an hour away. Someone ordered it but never picked it up. The store owner told me it was illegal which I knew but after telling him what I had been through with the critter he sold it to me and as I was leaving he said "If you can catch up to it a baseball bat works too!"

Boolit Master
    Best ratters I ever saw were dachshunds and Jack Russell terriers. My old dachshund Rhea (she has passed on now) would burrow through the hay bales in the barn and bring out all manner of vermin. She would kill a rat and bring it out then go back for another one. Only problem is that we would occasionally also have rattlesnakes in the hay; they were looking for rats, too. Fortunately, Rhea and the snakes never collided.

I also had a little fat JRT named Bullet who sat around and did nothing until he spotted something, then he hit it like a ton of bricks. One of the few dogs I ever saw who could kill a raccoon in seconds.

Boolit Master

https://www.ruralking.com/ramik-bars-4-pack-116334

I started using this stuff last year, and it works WAY better than that green crap every other store sells. I let this stuff in my chicken coop, and I'm finding dead or dying mice within 24 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12