Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: critique my plan

Boolit Buddy

critique my plan

I am getting into muzzle loaders, new territory for me. Cast is not. I am planning on using a Sabot, and trying the Lee 452-300 bullet. I am thinking I will keep them in the 1650 MV range. That should give me retained velocity of 1,000 or so at 200 yards. Assuming a .18 BC) I am thinking of using a 49-49-2 alloy (SOWW/COWW/PEWTER). Does that seem like it should give good terminal performance? Specifically not flattening too much at close range, yet maybe some expansion at 1,000 fps? Realistically most shots will be 50-100 yards.
    Edit to add: would I be better off looking at a 250ish grain SWC design? It would save lead!

Boolit Grand Master

16-1 alloy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Pure lead, will give you all the expansion and energy transfer you will ever need. I assume you are using a .50 cal gun ? Use a .50 bullet. Lee makes at least 3 that will work very well, 300+, a (real bullet) they call it, drops deer like right now with a good hit. Large flat tip does wonders..
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 12-13-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    So what advantage would 16:1 or pure have in this situation? Will a 49-49-2 be too hard/brittle for reliable expansion?

Boolit Master

Probably not brittle, but almost no expansion. With that big meplat, expansion should not be a problem, I would think. The softer 16:1 lead:tin alloy would give plenty of expansion as well as weight retention.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

Bloodman14

Thanks
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I used to use the Lee c300 rnfp with a sabot in my CVA Optima Pro cast with cowws. I killed many deer out to 100 yds. That boolit would knock them sideways for about 8 feet and leave an awesome blood trail,.. although they'd only run about 10 yds. or so.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, one question, if I use pewter instead of tin will the little bit of antimony make a difference or would you still alloy it as you would pure tin

Boolit Master
    Sorry I have to ask a question to the statement "I am getting into muzzle loaders, new territory for me". Do you have a smoke pole now? Inline, side lock, under hammer, twist, one would assume a 50 cal by the .452". Just checking so the cart doesn't get ahead of the horse.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Sorry I have to ask a question to the statement "I am getting into muzzle loaders, new territory for me". Do you have a smoke pole now? Inline, side lock, under hammer, twist, one would assume a 50 cal by the .452". Just checking so the cart doesn't get ahead of the horse.
    Yes, sorry. Should have clarified. I purchased a CVA Wolf on Black Friday. My local Dick's had it on sale for 259 with a scope. It has a 1:28 twist.
    I borrowed a friend's inline for this year's hunting season and realized I enjoy that more than archery! So I would have shot a muzzleloader maybe 6-8 times!