RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: So my friend wants to give me his lubri-sizer

Boolit Buddy

So my friend wants to give me his lubri-sizer

I've always had good luck with Lee Alox. Any value in me having this lubri-sizer? I've never used one.

Boolit Master
    A lube sizer can make your out of round or over sized bullets to a consistent diameter. That is a good thing. They can help you seat gas checks if you use them on rifle loads. That is a good thing. Use of the soft wax bullet lubes can at times make up for a mildly undersized cast bullet because it will act like a gasket, unless you get too happy on the pressures.

In my view, the only difficulty will be finding a place on the bench to mount it.

Many casters do not see the need for a PID until they have and use one. Then they understand the value. Not a necessary item, but sure makes things more consistent.

Boolit Grand Master

Th price is right!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Mounted two lubrisizers to a piece of oak with the heater. Bought the orange one, the other was a gift from a friend. I just clamp them on the bench when I need them. Been using the Orange Magic lube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 474043C0-E10A-42A0-B458-679ED9645996.jpg  

Id suggest you accept his offer. Even if you don’t use it right away, you might in the future. If it has the correct die and top punch for the bullets you are using, you’re golden! If not, the dies run about $35 and the top punch about $12. You’ll never wear them out. The lube sticks are under $10 if you buy them and a stick will lube a whole bunch of bullets. Another nice thing is that you can load them as soon as you get them lubed. No waiting for a day or so for the Alox to dry.

Heck, you might even get crazy like me and make your own lube! Lots of recipes out there….

Good luck!
    Sam Sackett

The only advantage I’ve seen is in gas check seating. A tight check, using the gas check tool will seat square. You don’t always get a fully seated check with push through sizing if it’s a tight fit.

If you use pointed bullets, then the lyman won’t deform the tips like push through sizing can.

One advantage, and to me the main one, is clean bullet noses. I don’t like cleaning them and don’t want them messy.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-01-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, I think it's an offer I can't refuse. He has it set up for 45/70. Which I cast for.

Boolit Master
    Say thank you, set a side and then see if it works for you ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The only advantage I’ve seen is in gas check seating. A tight check, using the gas check tool will seat square. You don’t always get a fully seated check with push through sizing of it’s a tight fit.

If you use pointed bullets, then the lyman won’t deform the tips like push through sizing can.

One advantage, and to me the main one, is clean bullet noses. I don’t like cleaning them and don’t want them messy.
    I could care less about the bullet noses, I want clean, flat, undamaged basses ! That is a very big part in accuracy, with cast.

Boolit Grand Master

Never look a gift lube/sizer in the "H" Die ... Thank your friend profusely and take the danged thing .

A Lyman 450 lube/sizer was the sweetest piece of reloading equipment I ever bought ...
    in 1973 and it's still in use .
    Think about this ... one cycle of the handle and a tweak on the lube pressure handle ...
    Down - tweak - up ... and out pops a sized , lubricated and , if needed , gas check seated boolit ... that's right a finished boolit in two motons ...ready to shoot . nothing is faster in producing sized and lubed boolits .
    Use a good lube , (1 part Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithum grease to 3 parts Beeswax = Lithi-Bee Lube) and you will never have a leading problem .

My Daddy would tell you ... Don't be acting the fool boy ... take that lube/sizer !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I got by for 15 yr of this nonsense w/o one ........ 500 bullets one afternoon in a couple hr with checks took care of my cheap need to thumb lube and push through size ever again.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

There are reasons to have a lube sizer other than sizer, Which is necessary, It will be your friend when crimping checks. I have a magma ( star) and could not be with out it ,but it shure makes life ez,
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    Take it before he changes his mind. You will enjoy using it. Get a heater and you will enjoy using it even more. I like the finished product better than tumble lube. I also like not having tumble lube accumulate in my seating dies and firearms.

Moderator Emeritus

Never ever say no to more tools
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

So many ways to get things done with cast. One of the reasons I love it.

Sometimes this isn't noticed(apologize if you already know) but a big difference in push through compared to,in and out(lube sizers)is on the latter you get to control how far "up" from the bttm of bullet you want to size.

IOW's.... a push through,the whole bullet gets sized. Lube sizer- you can hit the GC,and as much of the bands you decide on,then back it out. Not sayin one is better,saying a lube sizer gives you that option. I have 3 Lyman 450's... with handguns I could probably get away with push through. But would be lost when shooting rifles... because I only do the GC and 1/2 the lowest drive band. Lube by hand with pen knife. Only use the tiny space above GC.

Good luck with your project.

Boolit Buddy

Got my Lubrisizer today. It's the Lyman 4500 with hole for the heater. the thing is like brand new!
    Kind of fun to have a new tool! He also gave me a tube of Lyman Orange magic and one of Super Moly.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many opinions here already, here’s mine… a Lyman Lubri-Sizer pump and 50-50 NRA lube are a match made in Heaven for your cast bullets. If you pick a die that just “kisses” the bullet diameter it will true up any slight out-of-roundness while evenly applying the lube in the grooves (and installing the gas check, if desired). Unless working in very cold conditions, no additional heat is required with that 50-50 and a heater of some sort can be made/purchased later if you decide you want a harder lube like Carnauba Red. Your friend is offering to give you a very useful gift. My advice is to accept graciously and enjoy it. Does he like bourbon? If so, a thank you bottle might be appropriate.

Froggie

PS With the discontinuation of the currently preferred version of Alox, it might be a good idea to lay in as a good supply of 50-50 as you can find now… it will likely disappear quickly. I bought about a dozen or so sticks to use in one of my lube pumps, and wouldn’t turn down a deal on another similar amount!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Thumbs up

What Green Frog said!