MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Anyone on oxygen?

Anyone on oxygen?

I've been on oxygen for a short time, about 3 months now. I'm on 2 liters which I believe is what the delivery tech set, but I know nothing about this new event in my life.

I've been monitoring my O2 level with the finger thingy (pulse/ox) and it's been all over the place. I've change batteries but to no avail. The readings scare me, most are in the low 90's, which I can live with, but sometimes dip into the upper 80's. If I hit 95 it's a miracle. My Doc says if under 90 I should go to the ER, however, it does get back into the lower 90's. Nothing is steady and that's what's scaring me. I don't want to go to the ER if I don't have to.

I set the level to 3 and then to 4 liters but did not detect any change in my O2 levels. I believe 95 to 100 is the norm but I'm still under that. I went back to a setting of 2 and that's where I'm at now. Any suggestions are welcome.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Make sure you breathe through your nose! If you’re congested it’s not going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Make sure you breathe through your nose! If you’re congested it’s not going to help.
    Yup, doing that, even have an adaptor to hook it up to my to my CPAP machine. Thanks.
    Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I was on oxygen for two months in beginning of 2021 when Covid got me. Was also sometimes below 90 (sitting or laying down, relaxing helped me). The 2L was the standard and I only bumped it up when moving around in the house or going for a short walk. I also used the finger thingy for $20 and it worked relatively well. I would not go crazy after that not being 100% accurate - I took it as "above 90 is fine, under 88, sit down, take an extra nose of O2...".
    I had the large bottle to roll around, but they have pretty small, battery operated machines that are much more portable. If you are on O2 for a longer period, it may be worth looking into those.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine was on O2 and the normal is about 98. Sometimes I run about 97% Below 90 kick back and breathe deep through the nose. This is winter so perhaps your fingers are cold and skin will shrink and wrinkle. Good contact with the skin surface is needed. Pick one side, left or right, and go with the middle finger as it is larger and more contact. See if that levels things out a bit. If you are cold, add a layer of clothes.

These are questions that the doctors nurse or the nurse practitioner can answer over the phone.

Boolit Grand Master
    My oxygen levels run about 90-94, but I live at 6000 ft. When covid was rampant, doc wanted me to go to the ER if I hit 88. Few years earlier, I was at 83 and he wasn't concerned, so I thought, why go at 88 if he wasn't concerned when it was 83!! If I hit 88, I am not concerned.
    I get a quicker readings on my left hand vs. my right (I am left handed). Change hands and see if your reading change.
    I run my oxygen concentrator at 2 liters at night, for my CPAP.

Boolit Master

if your sats drop at night, use a mask rather than the nose thing, if you breath through your mouth your not getting any oxygen with the nose canula. only use enough to keep sats up, excess oxygen (pure) is leathal so use what your doctor has ordered and dont just turn the amount up without consulting your doctor
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Been there...done that - with Covid. If your confidence is low in the "$20" saturated O2 monitor you are using, buy a GOOD ONE and follow the excellent recommendations penned.

You do not say why you have been placed on supplemental O2 for low blood saturation. If for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), you may have long term physical limitations - another good reason to buy a better monitor. If for Covid, it is a long road, a rough road, but a recoverable road.

Two (2) liters per minute (Lpm) of supplemental O2 is on the road to recovery, imho. When Paramedics took me to the ER with Covid, my saturated O2 had been below 80 for most of the night. I was in distress looking DEATH in the face. They placed me on non-invasive, high-volume O2 by canula, at 55Lpm (iirc), heated to 37* C, with 100% relative humidity, which volume was reduced over 10-days hospitalized, O2 saturation improved, and my lungs recovered as a result of intervention protocol against the virus.

Upon release from the hospital (protocol < 4 Lpm O2, saturation 93%). I was put on an O2 accumulator (with bottled O2 as a back-up) at home. The Tech set the initial rate to 6 Lpm, reduced across 3 months, and eliminated after EXERTION, meaning walking the corridor at the Dr's Office - observed by the ARPN - back and forth for not less than 7 minutes, then checking saturation at 93% - or better.

You are "almost there" at 2 Lpm...maybe get a better monitor.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 12-02-2022 at 03:41 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I've been in the hospital 4 days followed by my wife for 2 months with Covid. 2 liters of oxygen is pretty normal. The reading of the oxygen meter is actually taken through the nerves in the finger nail; and yes it can be all over the place. I've been in the 70's and seen my wife in the 50's (panic time!). I believe you can get so fixated on the "readings" you forget to breath. Covid attacks the lungs ability to recover; the lungs will heal itself eventually barring secondary lung problems, such as COPD. You can usually tell when your oxygen level drops without a monitor or oximeter; sit down and breath in through the nose and exhale through the mouth (harder to do when concentrating on the mechanics of breathing!). Don't fret about the "80's" if your recovery time is reasonable after a rest - you can beat the Covid! Oxygen is a great help, but not a cure. (Do not let them put you on a vent; lungs need to adapt, not a machine.) I am not a doctor, but I (and my wife) are survivors. She was on oxygen for 6 months, myself 2. I have yet to talk to a doctor, and I know many, who claim to know how Covid "works"; for it is a lab manufactured virus who seems to effect everybody differently. Obviously the "jab" didn't prevent it and I do not believe the shot to be a treatment. I do not believe your oxygen level to be critical as you have described it. Recovery is a slow process. (BTW, both myself and my wife are in our mid 70's.) My .02 and free medical advice, for what it is worth. Prayers you will have a complete recovery.
    Last edited by kaiser; 12-02-2022 at 02:09 PM.