Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sharps Rifle suggestions

They've got two rifles in stock over on the Shiloh website, both 45s.

Boolit Buddy
    They're both .45-70. I have inquired as to whether or not one can be rechambered to .45-110, since one of them is already pretty much set up the way I would want.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you think you want one of those rifles, you probably best keep track of the office hours and call first thing Monday morning. They will lengthen the chamber but it will cost a bit extra, but chances are pretty good neither rifle will be there Monday.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    If you think you want one of those rifles, you probably best keep track of the office hours and call first thing Monday morning. They will lengthen the chamber but it will cost a bit extra, but chances are pretty good neither rifle will be there Monday.
    Knowing the demand for Shiloh Sharps rifles I'd be sending e-mails right NOW!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't rely on email. I'd call. Sometimes they get pretty busy and take a few days to answer emails.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I wouldn't rely on email. I'd call. Sometimes they get pretty busy and take a few days to answer emails.

Chris.
    I agree, but an e-mail will give you a timestamp if push comes to shove. The last e-mail I sent took almost three weeks for them to reply.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Knowing the demand for Shiloh Sharps rifles I'd be sending e-mails right NOW!
    Well, it's not that critical, since it will be months before I can get brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I would grab the in-stock rifle is it's what I want. Lengthening the chamber is easily done. To me that a better option than waiting a year or two. With posting enough WTB in enough locations you will find enough brass until another batch is ran.

Stretching is also an option. http://texas-mac.com/Stretching_Shor...R_Chamber.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-11-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Well, rifle and brass are ordered, and I snagged some swiss 1.5f. I talked with Corbin about a swaging die for a 540gr, dual diameter PP elliptical bullet. I'll get 2 rams, one for a cupped base and one for a flat base.

That's my plan for now. Wish me luck, gentlemen.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you having one built or going with one that is in stock?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Are you having one built or going with one that is in stock?
    Since BACO told me it was going to be a good while before they got my 110 brass anyway, I decided to put in a custom order through Mr. Goodman. That way, I get exactly what I want, instead of something that's kinda close. He believes I chose a good set of specs. Time will tell.

Be sure to check back in and show us what you bought.

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions when I get into the whole loading process. You'll probably be seeing a lot about that rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    Well, rifle and brass are ordered, and I snagged some swiss 1.5f. I talked with Corbin about a swaging die for a 540gr, dual diameter PP elliptical bullet. I'll get 2 rams, one for a cupped base and one for a flat base.

There are several good moulds, that have won national championships available in paper Patch. Just a lil fyi, I have never been beat by a swaged bullet, lot of work for no approachable gain, my casting sessions weight spread runs .3-.4 tenths of a grain weight spread on 65-70 bullets. The world record PP group size in Pedersoli’s famed 5@200 match was shot with a 518 gr PP bullet of my own design, 1.336 inches for 5 Shots. It was cast of 16-1 alloy. In my old 45-110 Creedmoor Rifle.
    Oh and forget the cup base also.

Kenny Wasserburger

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Kenny's right, a number of good moulds out there that will cast bullets from a suitable hard alloy, much easier and less expensive than swaging.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post

TM,

The .45-2.6 is a good caliber and it's good you chose to go with what you want for your rifle.
    I have a .45-2.6 (.45-100) and it can be loaded down to a .45-90 or loaded up to the .45-110 using a proper wad stack. Mine is not a Shiloh it's an 1877 Axtel and it has a 34" barrel and weight in at right at 12 lbs.
    I'm interested in your choice of the Corbin Swage die. I use both Corbins, Richard and Daves equipment and it has served me well at the shoots I attend and they have held me in fine shape at the end. That particular bullet in the photo has the 1.5 S ogive a very close to the Medford bullet and it shot a 41 at the Quigley but it kept me out of the top 10 with a tiebreaker.
    Which ogive design are you going with?

I tell you what when push comes to shove and you get your rifle before you get your brass and get itchy to shoot it let me know and I have some I can give or loan you some so you can foul the barrel

Kurt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3403.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	308088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	446 PP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	308087

Boolit Grand Master

The way I am reading this the OP went with the 45 2 7/8"?

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The way I am reading this the OP went with the 45 2 7/8"?
    That's correct. The decision came down to the fact that BACO was getting an order filled for .45-110 brass. I went ahead and pre-ordered 500 pieces. That's probably enough to last me a lifetime.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    TM,

The .45-2.6 is a good caliber and it's good you chose to go with what you want for your rifle.
    I have a .45-2.6 (.45-100) and it can be loaded down to a .45-90 or loaded up to the .45-110 using a proper wad stack. Mine is not a Shiloh it's an 1877 Axtel and it has a 34" barrel and weight in at right at 12 lbs.
    I'm interested in your choice of the Corbin Swage die. I use both Corbins, Richard and Daves equipment and it has served me well at the shoots I attend and they have held me in fine shape at the end. That particular bullet in the photo has the 1.5 S ogive a very close to the Medford bullet and it shot a 41 at the Quigley but it kept me out of the top 10 with a tiebreaker.
    Which ogive design are you going with?

I tell you what when push comes to shove and you get your rifle before you get your brass and get itchy to shoot it let me know and I have some I can give or loan you some so you can foul the barrel

Kurt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3403.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	308088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	446 PP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	308087
    I actually went with the .45-110. Mr. Goodman tells me the rifle should arrive sometime this coming summer. BACO could not give me an ETA on the brass.

Corbin tells me that their die for rockchuckers will be perfectly sufficient for what I'm trying to do. They're about $280. They offer a design with a 1.5e ogive. They also said that a dual-diameter wouldn't be a problem.

I planned to go with swaging because it would give me better uniformity and ensure that there are no voids in the bullet. It would also give me a perfect nose and a perfect base, as opposed to a mold that would force me to choose between the two.

I was going to try the cup base because it is supposed to mitigate feathering.

In the end, I suppose the rifle will tell me what it likes, regardless of any theories I might have.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast