RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sharps Rifle suggestions

Boolit Master
    I'd pick a Shiloh over a C. Sharps any time, based on my experience with them. As for options, if you want to shoot at far targets I'd recommend a pistol grip stock with little drop and a shotgun butt plate. Long Range Express, #1, or the newer Rough Rider stock. I'd pick a .45-90 at minimum, but the .45-100 will be a better choice. The .45-110 is great, but you'll have a hard time getting brass. I bought plenty back when the Normal .45-2.88" brass was easy to get.

Unless you plan on shooting off hand, heavier barrels are better. I prefer them to be longer than 30" personally, as they just seem more stable on cross sticks, unless they are a bull barrel rifle which is very steady on the sticks.

I think the ideal choice is my most recent Shiloh. 16lb bull barrel .45-100, 1:16 twist, 30" barrel, modern Rough Rider stock. It's set up for a 23" MVA scope as well as a LR Buffalo Soule and Windgage front sight.

Chris.

Boolit Man
    I own both C Sharps and Shiloh. I’ve won long range matches with both. I prefer the C Sharps only because it’s two pounds heavier which helps dampen the recoil somewhat.
    For long range, a heavy rifle with a high comb and pistol grip stock is desirable. More important is that you learn to read wind and load perfect ammunition.
    JKR

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh all the way. Great rifles and great customer service.

C. Sharps can also make a fine rifle, but the owner is dishonest. I may buy one of their used rifles some day but will never, ever buy a new one from that company. Might as well give your money to Biden.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    Shiloh all the way. Great rifles and great customer service.

C. Sharps can also make a fine rifle, but the owner is dishonest. I may buy one of their used rifles some day but will never, ever buy a new one from that company. Might as well give your money to Biden.
    That's how I ended up with my 45-100 C. Sharps. I am very happy with it. Shoots awesome and fit and finish is equal to my friends Shiloh's. The only thing I don't like about it is no pistol grip but that's how it was ordered. The original owner ordered it at the NRA Convention is Minneapolis in the early 90's. He paid a significant amount for high grade wood. When it arrived the wood was very average. C Sharps would not do anything about it. My friend was so PO'ed he only shot it a couple of times. Later he sold it to me for his cost minus the wood upgrade.

Every person that I have talked to about Shiloh only had one complaint and it was always the same. They didn't like having to wait for the back-order times.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have a pedersoli sharps long range model and a winchester 1886 both in 45-90 but i should be getting my 45-110 from goodman sometime in january. 45-90 brass was hard to find during the covid era but when it became available i stocked up a bit. The only source of 45-110 is 45-120 brass that you trim down and although it is expensive, you wont cycle through it like normal high pressure brass if you use black. Maintain them well and they will last many more cycles. Some say a lifetime but i haven't lived a lifetime yet to know.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Man
    I love Sharps rifles, don’t get me wrong. But, knowing what I now know about BPCR long range competition, if I were to build a rifle just for long range, it would be a High Wall.
    JKR

Boolit Master
    I've a Shiloh LRE love the rifle fitted with an RHO Malcolm scope but I made one minor mistake if you want to calling that it has a 34" heavy barrel and it weighs in at 14 lbs. I'm not a long range shooter 100+ yards but the extra weight of the barrel sure dampens recoil especially when using 500+ gr bullets. Rifle is 45/70 .

I've got a Shiloh in 45-90 and it is a great rifle. I like it better for long range silhouetes than my pedersolli rolling block in 45-70 as it is extremely accurate if you can cast high precision bullets. However the pedersolli handles 28,000 CUP smokeless powder which makes it a better general purpose rifle for hunting and non-serious target shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    I've got a Shiloh in 45-90 and it is a great rifle. I like it better for long range silhouetes than my pedersolli rolling block in 45-70 as it is extremely accurate if you can cast high precision bullets. However the pedersolli handles 28,000 CUP smokeless powder which makes it a better general purpose rifle for hunting and non-serious target shooting.
    28,000 CUP/PSI is standard SAAMI for the 45/70. At 28,000 PSI and CUP are the same. The point is Shiloh is safe at 28,000 PSI/CUP. If SAAMI doesn't have a spec all manufactures say BP only for the older BP cartridges.

Example here:

http://www.texas-mac.com/BPCR_Firearms.html

Shooting smokeless ammo in your Browning or Winchester BPCR:
    A question I’m asked a lot is, “Can I shoot smokeless ammunition in
    the Browning or Winchester BPCRs”? I addressed this issue in more
    detail in my book but thought I’d also provide a response here to
    “head off” additional questions. Due to liability concerns, I’m not
    going to make a recommendation on using smokeless in your BPCR,
    but I will provide some details to help you make an educated
    decision.

All the Browning and Winchester BPCRs with Badger barrels are
    identical concerning the source and the material used. All the
    barrels are made from high quality SAE 4150 chromemoly steel.
    The Browning .45-70 rifle barrels are marked RECOMMENDED FOR
    BLACK POWDER. The .40-65, .45-90 and .50-90 rifle barrels are
    marked …BLACK POWDER ONLY. Browning’s Owner’s Manual clearly
    states that the .45-70 can also accept the pressures of
    commercially loaded smokeless ammunition with jacketed bullets.
    Therefore it’s clearly OK to shoot smokeless ammo in the .45-70
    BPCR. Of course the ammunition must meet SAAMI specifications.
    But the same factory recommendation does not apply to the
    Browning .40-65, Browning or Winchester .45-90 or Winchester .50-
    90 rifles.

Browning proof-tested the Badger barrels prior to selecting the final
    barrel supplier. During the test, pressures were increase to a level
    sufficient to liquefy the brass and drive it into the extractor slot.
    The brass was cleaned out and the testing continued without barrel
    failure. Based on the test results, “calculated” failure pressures
    were well above any range expected to be reached with
    commercial smokeless ammo.

So why can’t smokeless ammo be used in the .40-65, .45-90 or .50-
    90 rifles? The barrels are quite thick and heavy, with lots of high
    quality steel surrounding the chamber and bore. With the
    exception of freebore and a slightly longer chamber, the .45-90
    bore is identical to the .45-70. The chamber and bore dimensions
    of the .40-65 are smaller than the .45-70, resulting in additional
    barrel material surrounding the chamber and bore. The answer is
    because Browning and Winchester are SAAMI members, and SAAMI
    does not specify chamber dimensions and ammunition standards for
    the .40-65, .45-90 or .50-90 cartridges. Consequently, due to
    liability concerns, Browning and Winchester made it clear the .40-
    65, .45-90 and .50-90 rifles were designed for BLACK POWDER ONLY
    by clearly stamping the barrels accordingly. It’s certainly your call,
    but personally I would have no concerns about shooting
    commercially loaded smokeless ammo in one of my Browning or
    Winchester Badger barreled BPCRs.

Wishing you great shooting,
    Wayne
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-02-2022 at 01:40 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

There is nowhere to shoot long range blackpowder in my neck of the woods, so I'll just stick to plugging hogs and goats with my Shiloh 1874 Carbine.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    There is nowhere to shoot long range blackpowder in my neck of the woods, so I'll just stick to plugging hogs and goats with my Shiloh 1874 Carbine.
    A perfect example of the perfect rifle for its intended use!

JKR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    I have a pedersoli sharps long range model and a winchester 1886 both in 45-90 but i should be getting my 45-110 from goodman sometime in january. 45-90 brass was hard to find during the covid era but when it became available i stocked up a bit. The only source of 45-110 is 45-120 brass that you trim down and although it is expensive, you wont cycle through it like normal high pressure brass if you use black. Maintain them well and they will last many more cycles. Some say a lifetime but i haven't lived a lifetime yet to know.
    Not sure where you get your information, but you’re mistaken. Norma makes the 2-7/8 case and you don’t have to trim 45-3-1/4 to do so.

It’s this kind of misinformation that needs quashed.

I been shooting the cartridge since 1994 that’s 28 years and never made brass from a 3-1/4 case.

Kenny Wasserburger

Somebody needs to breathe from a paper bag for a bit, can you find this norma brass at the moment?
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Norma doesn’t list either of their 45 basic brass on their website
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Norma doesn’t list either of their 45 basic brass on their website
    Do you know if this common practice for them, or are they discontinued like some distributors mention?
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Don't know , but my guess is discontinued due to lack of sales/orders

Boolit Mold
    I would bet that if Norma made a run of 10,000 or more .45 basic cases they would be sold in a week. There surely are a lot of shooters waiting to restock their case supplies, and MFG's are still chambering new rifles in 45-110.
    kw

It would probably take some one to contact Norma and order 10-20k to get them back in production
    Even at that it probably wouldn’t happen until the demand for 6.5 Jenner and 9 mm crinchintinker to get caught up

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    Somebody needs to breathe from a paper bag for a bit, can you find this norma brass at the moment?
    Someone needs to get their facts straight.

I just checked Norma’s website still shows 45 basic the 2.880 and the 120.

I received 100 cases from buffalo Arms less than a year ago, and have 100 more on order.

KW.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBA12FCE-740F-42B5-8C29-111FF49D1A9B.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	307547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B6A92BE-83A3-4393-95C3-44C42451D3EE.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	307549

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast