Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sharps Rifle suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Sharps Rifle suggestions

I'm finally in a position to get myself a nice sharps. I've handled enough Armi Sport (cimmaron) rifles to know that I don't want one of those.

The prices on pedersolis have gone up to the point where I might as well go with one of the two US makers.

So, I'm open to suggestions at this stage.

C. Sharps or Shiloh?

Are there any features that are a must?

45-70 won't do everything I'll want to do with it. I hope to attempt a mile shoot with it while my eyes are still good enough. I'm looking at .45-110, but would a .50-90 be better?

Shiloh offers the "Quigley", which is nice, but is a 34" barrel too much?

Boolit Master
    I owned a Shiloh in 45-70 - it was superbly finished and very accurate.

what are you planning to shoot at one mile? hope its not some poor animal.

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 .45-110's, a C. Sharps and a Shiloh, both great shooters. I already have my brass, but trying to stock up now is near impossible. For extreme long range shooting I prefer the 34" barrels.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You can get barrels up to 34 inches on about all the Shilohs
    The Quigley is a poor choice for long range completion
    Look at either a #1 or LRE 32 inch heavy barrel in 45-90 100 or 110
    You’ll likely find brass for the 90 and 100 a good long time before you can scare up enough 110 brass
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

And don’t overlook the model 77
    Which ever rifle you choose you will need to get the MVA car Buffalo soul or get an extention that raises the eyebrows cup on the soul sight that will give you enough elevation to reach the mile target

Boolit Buddy
    What specifically makes the Quigley a poor choice, so that I know what to steer away from?

The drop in the stock and the military butt don't lend itself to shooting prone very well. Also the lack of a pistol grip to help with follow thru and maintaining a good cheek weld.

Boolit Buddy
    I see. Now that you mention the 1877, shiloh's "English rifle #1" looks good.

Boolit Master
    The Quigley stock, for modern target shooting, has a lot of drop in it. Very 19th century, though.

It also has the narrow military style buttplate, often seen on the original buffalo guns, but if you’re not as tough as a hide hunter and plan on firing 50 shots or more a session, the “shotgun” style buttplate is more comfortable.

You might get by with the Quigley Model (which does look very period and cool) if you use an Accu-riser on the stock for a cheek rest, and a Past recoil pad on your shoulder.

You might wind up using those whatever model you get, in whatever Sharps caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    I wasn't dead set on the Quigley. In any case, it'll be 2024 before I get to the mile. That's going to take a lot of load development. Also, nobody has brass for anything other than 45-70, and, according to the people who regularly compete in the game, that cartridge won't get me where I want to go.
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 11-30-2022 at 10:32 PM.

The 77 is a fine long range rifle. I like it real well. I also have a couple of #1's and rough riders, and an LRE. Plus a #3 which is much like the Quigley only lacking the hartford collar and the engraving. Love that rifle for hunting, but it's a killer trying to shoot prone.
    The 45-90 or 45-100 will do real well for the long stuff, the 45-70 is good to 1000 and works quite well for midrange and sillhouette.
    If you're planning to have the rifle up and running for 2024 best either call Shiloh and order now or go thru Bill Goodman.

Boolit Buddy
    What about double set triggers? Are they a help, a hindrance, or just personal preference?

Double set triggers are the norm but I like a smooth crisp single trigger

I just got my Shiloh 1874 SPORTER #3 in .45-90 30", in mid October from Bill Goodman. One of his order guns. It's not the fanciest model but not bottom of the line either. The brass was ordered at same time as the gun, Starline backorder, still not in. She's a safe queen until the brass comes in.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I sent a message to Norma about their ".45 basic" brass. We'll see what they say.

Boolit Master

I had both, but it was 20 years ago.

One was a C. Sharps with a Shiloh marked barrel, before there was a Shiloh Rifle Company (Wolf marked).

The other was a C. Sharps after the split.

Fit and finish goes to the first one.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you think you will ever shoot BPCR silhouette with it? If so I think a 70 or 90 would be the way to go. You can use bore diameter bullets and get 80 plus grains in a 70 case. Even more in a 90 of course. If you go with a 110 then that might be tough to shoot silhouettes with. Plus if your going to shoot sillywets then you will want to keep the weight of the rifle right at 12 pounds and that’s with sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    A designated long range rifle with a long heavy barrel and a high capacity cartridge will not be ideal as a recreational shooter rifle. You might as well resign yourself to the fact that you will need two rifles. You'll probably end up with two or more anyway, one for fun and recreational shooting and one for serious long range business. With that said Jim Ratcliffe in Ohio has a 45/100 that he uses for everything from silhouette to 1000 yd and he is a tough competitor. He is an exception though.

Boolit Master

Some of it may depend on how much of a hurry your in. I've had two Shiloh's on order for for close to 19 months, they may start on them sometime after the first of the year. The last C. Sharps I ordered was 411 days to delivery. Then there's always the used market to fall back on. I use mine for hunting and casual target work,nothing competitive. If you are going to shoot matches I would probably steer clear of the 50-90, great round, I have two but a long string of shots is pretty tiring. I think 45-120/45-110 brass is going to be tough to find and expensive when you do. I passed recently on two Shiloh 45-120, older Big Timber's, nice. Decent price and the owner had a 1000 rounds of Norma 45-120 new brass he was selling separately. At 6.00 per round it was exactly double the price for either rifle. I wouldn't sell the 45-70 short and folks shoot is effectively at long distance, brass is a piece of cake compared to the 45-90 and 45-100 brass I've had on back order from Starline since last February. As to quality, I have I have 4 Shiloh and 5 C.Sharps and I like them all about the same. Fit and finish is good on both and shoot a lot better than I do. I have a couple Pedersoli's as well, and they will hold their own with both the Shiloh and the C Sharps accuracy wise. If you can find one used, get it. It makes the waiting a lot more bearable while they are building the one you order. Nothing like a Sharps.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast