Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: REM 760 action rod

Boolit Master

REM 760 action rod

I have a late 50’s 760 here that has the action rod filled with lead. Is that normal? I guess it was used to soak up recoil. Well , I am gonna take it out. Should I use heat or drill it out?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Is the 760 shooting good and accurate ?? If it is I would leave it alone and just enjoy ?

Boolit Master
    Yup, the gun is very accurate. I got 17 oz of lead out of rod. Gonna be a wee bit lighter which is the biggest reason i fell out of love with these as a teenager. Thought they were a little too heavy and my lever gun in 444 was a better carry gun.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Yup, the gun is very accurate. I got 17 oz of lead out of rod. Gonna be a wee bit lighter which is the biggest reason i fell out of love with these as a teenager. Thought they were a little too heavy and my lever gun in 444 was a better carry gun.
    You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the action rod filled with lead? I bought one mfg'd in 52 a few yrs ago and have not shot it much, mine seemed really pretty light weight like a 28 ga Rem 870. Mine is chambered in 30-06. Were they sold that way?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Maybe somebody thought they were making a target rifle??? I am down to three 7600s! One chambered in 30-06, one in 35 Remington, and one and 35 Whelan! Had one in 30-06 I bought for my dad with the deer and bear scrolls. He traded it for a brand new one exactly the same chambered in 243 because he was starting to get recoil shy with age. Then he got bored again with his new gun…again… after I bought him another 7600 in 35 Rem so he pawned off the the 243. He’s not in charge of his guns anymore needless to say.lol. I love my 7600’s! Just shot a coyote and a nine point that had a split G2 last week with the 06.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-01-2022 at 10:34 PM.