Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xrf testing questions

Boolit Master
    And if you really need to get down to the hundredth of a degree you probably should be using jacketed bullets. There is no way you will be able to mix and maintain that kind degree of accuracy without a full lab setting. I am not sure a foundry could do that with lead. Maybe steel or aluminum but if it is possible with lead it certainly is not feasible.

Thinking about something, when you are mixing all your ingredients are you fluxing? I am thinking from the sounds of what you are saying this is not pristine lead you are working with so you need to clean it up a bit by fluxing so you are probably losing 1-2% here and there in the dross from fluxing.

A little beeswax is all that is needed for flux. This is lead that has been melted, blended and refined more than a couple times.

I was thinking the same thing about the missing alloy; maybe its coming out in the dross or it's in the last bit of tinsel in the pot, but I'm missing 2% of the Antimony. When looked at mathematically 2% of 20 pounds is .4 pounds or 6.4 oz. 6.4 oz of Antimony is a chuck of material! It's not the 1/4 teaspoon of dust that gets scraped off as dross.

This can't be that difficult. It's just percentages, not magic.
    Casting for .38 spec, .44 spec/mag, .45 Colt, 38-55, 45-70 and .50ML.... and the boy's slingshot.
    Shake'n'bake powder coating is amazing. Thank you to the guys that developed and shared the process.

Boolit Master
    This thread might help clear things up. Please review post #20.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...70#post5333770

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12