MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger .30 Cal

Boolit Master

Ruger .30 Cal

Which would you rather have .30 Cal Old Model 3 screw or a .30 Cal New Model? Both are shooters only.

Boolit Master

I really wanted one. Finally got one...took it out... I pulled the trigger......my fever broke.
    Last edited by Electrod47; 11-30-2022 at 06:48 PM.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Mine is an early 3 screw, very tight. I like the older Rugers, but the new model does offer the ability to use 32-20 cases, sized for 30 Carbine. My old model has the standard full length cylinder, all the way back to the recoil shield, so rimmed cases will not work.

I put an XR3 grip frame on it, along with a steel ejector rod housing and a steel Micro rear sight. Runs away with the style trophy.

Boolit Master
    I’ve considered the same thing.

I prefer the 3-screw action because it doesn’t have a transfer bar.

I’ve had a few problems with transfer bars. Mostly from them being to short. I’ve had some that impinged the firing pin below center and would wedge the firing pin up into the top of the firing pin hole causing drag and light strikes. Mostly this happens when the sear engagement is shortened to get rid of trigger creep. The trigger no longer moves enough to fully raise the transfer bar. But I’ve had one that was that way from the factory.

The 3-screw action makes me smile when I hear the 4 clicks. This is emotional but I like it.

The new model can use 32-20 brass fire-formed as Nueces points out. So that gives you 2 options on hard to come by brass.

The best would be to fit a New Model cylinder into a 3-screw frame.

I opted to bypass 30 carbine with its tapered case and 0.308” boolits and go with 327 Federal Magnum. That’s worked out real good for me.

But I don’t have a Blackhawk in 327. But I do have a convertible Blackhawk that’s 32-20/32 H&R. Never fired the 32 H&R cylinder because the 32-20 power level just seems more appropriate in the big Blackhawk.

So I get why that level of power with a 0.308” boolit in a Blackhawk is desirable.
    To answer your question though, I’d choose the 3-screw……unless I found a good deal on a New Model first.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Problem is they have the same old twist rate for the 110 grain round nose bullets. The Contenders in 30 Carbine have a 1-10 twist and will shoot heavier bullets with good accuracy. However, it head spaces on the case mouth and grows in length with any increase in pressure. It works, but.....kinda deal.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't buy either one. I'd buy one in 327 Federal.

Yep, we shot the new model in cowboy matches with 32-20 and a .310 diameter lead bullet. Currently 32-20 brass and ammo is very hard to find for a reasonable amount.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both, an unmodified 3-screw and a New Model. The 3-screw definitely cocks smoother, but the New Model has a better trigger pull.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have a New Model in 30 Carbine that I purchased new in 1990, I sent it to Doug Trunbull in the early 90's to have the frame color case hardened. Also put a Colt style ejector rod & assy and a SBH grip frame on it. Turned out really nice.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Both of mine are New Models. I like being able to use .32-20 brass as identification for milder loads and .30 Carbine cases for full snort stuff. The two most accurate revolvers I own. The cut-down which I got cheap off GunBroker 5-1/2" gives up about 80 fps with factory ammo compared to the original 7-1/2" length, but is much handier to carry. Approximates .327 Federal with factory .30 Carbine, and .32 H&R Magnum with .32-20s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger30Carb100yds31-100T7pt4AutoComp.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	307487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShortenedModel.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	307488
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-01-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

3 screw .

They don't make them any more and never will again .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

I'll put in 2c worth, and don't take this the wrong way, I am not knocking the gun or the caliber, but across the board, the 30 carbine BH cylinders are dimensionally the worst of any of Ruger's production. Badly egged throats, belled throats, wormed throats, tool marks, I am merely talking from my own experience honing these cylinders to straighten up the throats and size them for use with cast. The throats in these cylinders are fairly long, and they need a LOT of work to bring them to a uniform state, but the improvement is equally as dramatic.

If you have a factory stock 30 carbine BH and you think it shoots good now, all I can say is you ain't seen nothing yet... Typical stock from Ruger throats in these run .309" on average.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub

I've got the new model put steel grip frame steel ejector rod housing and got a super blachawk hammer to put on it yet. it is accurate with the speer hollow points. what mold are you guy's useing for 30 carbine brass.

For my buddies OM I sold him a small diameter 3118 (Lyman 32-20) that was dropping them about .310. Too small for my colts chambered in 32-20. I later found that mold that dropped them at .312-313. He is firing a moderate load of unique or 700X. Firing a full power 30 carbine in a 7 1/2” Blackhawk is the loudest handgun I have ever fired.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Firing a full power 30 carbine in a 7 1/2” Blackhawk is the loudest handgun I have ever fired.
    You've obviously never been to a Silhouette match
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    It’s 3-4-5 for me.
    3 screws in the frame
    4 clicks of the hammer
    5 beans in the wheel

Boolit Master

+1 smkummer

The 30 Carbine Ruger is truly ONE of the loudest guns I have ever shot....the other being a 22 Jet 6".
    But 3 screw is the best.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Every time the 30 carbine revolver is discussed, how loud it is always comes up!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Every time the 30 carbine revolver is discussed, how loud it is always comes up!
    That's because of how loud it is. Truly astounding.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast