Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: opinions on aperture sights

Boolit Bub
    NECG picatinny rear peep sight. It’s what I’m mounting on my Rossi 92.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Hint: The smaller the aperture the smaller the group. so called ghost rings are ok for close in hunting in poor light, but have their limitations. I don't hunt any more, but when I did I keep a Redfield Twilight in the sight and a target pin hole sight in my pocket and changed them as conditions changed. No, the POI does change when the aperture is changed.

Before the war, the Lyman receiver sight were made with a fold down small aperture and a threaded portion for a screw in aperture.
    Agree, but rather than changing out apertures in the field or on the range, Merit adjustable apertures allow you to instantly go from pinpoint to ghost ring or anything in between. I have several #4s to install on my rifles with Redfield, Lyman, Williams, Pacific and Marple receiver sights. The threaded sight disc opening for these are all the same.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	307846

Boolit Master

Hint: The smaller the aperture the smaller the group. so called ghost rings are ok for close in hunting in poor light, but have their limitations. I don't hunt any more, but when I did I keep a Redfield Twilight in the sight and a target pin hole sight in my pocket and changed them as conditions changed. No, the POI does change when the aperture is changed.

Before the war, the Lyman receiver sight were made with a fold down small aperture and a threaded portion for a screw in aperture.
    Glad to learn that the sight that was on Dad's 1903 sporter was a pre-war sight. My uncle that lived in Oregon gave it to dad in about 1964. in 1977 I removed the Lyman and installed a Williams with a shallow, wide V on the barrel at my dad's request. If/when I get time to work on it I intend to re-install the Lyman,
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    Agree, but rather than changing out apertures in the field or on the range, Merit adjustable apertures allow you to instantly go from pinpoint to ghost ring or anything in between. I have several #4s to install on my rifles with Redfield, Lyman, Williams, Pacific and Marple receiver sights. The threaded sight disc opening for these are all the same.

Yes, I have a couple of those, plus the one that attaches to your shooting glasses with a suction cup.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Now this is a properly sighted rifle.
    This is one of the best looking NRA Sporters I have ever seen. I have had the Fence Post Pic in my archive for about 10 years now.

I am currently building a "Replica NRA Sporter" using an 03A3 barreled action. I finally found someone who could duplicate the stock for me and I have the proper Butt Plate and Barrel Band and Sling Swivels. It took me 4 hours on my Mill to drill and tap the two holes in the 03A3 receiver for the Lyman Rear Sight. Broke the tip off the tap in both holes 2 times each. The Receivers are Case Hardened inside and out.

I sweated blood for all 4 hours on that project!!!

Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Access C.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-10-2022 at 07:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This is one of the best looking NRA Sporters I have ever seen. I have had the Fence Post Pic in my archive for about 10 years now.

I am currently building a "Replica NRA Sporter" using an 03A3 barreled action. I finally found someone who could duplicate the stock for me and I have the proper Butt Plate and Barrel Band and Sling Swivels. It took me 4 hours on my Mill to drill and tap the two holes in the 03A3 receiver for the Lyman Rear Sight. Broke the tip off the tap in both holes 2 times each. The Receivers are Case Hardened inside and out.

I sweated blood for all 4 hours on that project!!!

Randy.
    Strange, mine is a Smith-Corona 03A3 and it was easy to drill and tap for the receiver sight. Used a regular hi-speed carbon drill bit and a normal carbon tap.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Hey Hornet:
    Sell that Henry and buy a Marlin! They are better made and are drilled and tapped for a Redfield or Lyman aperature sight. My old pre-lawyer 1895 Marlin in 45-70 has put alot of fur on the ground. My eyes are even older than yours! A 77, I see the sights and game very well. The Marlin will shoot an inch at 50yds and spread out to 1 1/2" at 100yds with handloads. Also have a Marlin in 44 mag that I installed a Redfield aperature sight. It shoots like it has eyes! carry it around the farm in a scabbard on my quad.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Henry will accept the FP-336 aperture sight, and only needs two holes drilled and tapped on the side for the Lyman 66 or Williams FP-94. The FP-336 is a more solid mount using the two rear scope holes, in my opinion. No reason why the Henry can't do anything the Marlin will. I sure wouldn't pay more for a nice but not rare Marlin over a Henry.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Charles: Mine is a Remington and it is super hard about .015 deep on the inside and outside. This is typical when the case hardening is done in a vacuum furnace using acetylene as the Carbon. all exposed surfaces get hardened.

It was a little hard to drill the holes but I started the holes with a Carbide Drill to get thru the case.

First broke the tip off the tap going in the hole, then broke it again when the tap went thru the inside. This happened on both holes and I did all this on my mill with a Center in the tap handle so the tap was going in dead strait. I also every kind of Magic Spuge on the tap. I managed to regrind the tip of the tap and made it thru both holes and I still have what's left of the $26 tap! It was Memorial Day and about 100F + and I sweated blood for 4 hours because there was no way I was going to be defeated by a Damn Tap!

The grain on my stock is nothing close to yours, and like I said above you have the best looking NRA Sporter (Replica?) I have ever seen. I kinda went ape with the Burgundy Tint in the oil finish and I may revisit that before I call it done. like to get a little more orange into it.

I am sending the metal for that gun and my .35-303 Enfield Sporter to Vang Comp to get them both Cera Koted as I don't have an oven large enough to swallow the barreled actions.

Will post pics when it is done. My barrel is a two groove and it is un fired from the DCM in 1965. My Metal Shop Teacher bought it for $15!

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-11-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Charles: Mine is a Remington and it is super hard about .015 deep on the inside and outside. This is typical when the case hardening is done in a vacuum furnace using acetylene as the Carbon. all exposed surfaces get hardened.

It was a little hard to drill the holes but I started the holes with a Carbide Drill to get thru the case.

First broke the tip off the tap going in the hole, then broke it again when the tap went thru the inside. This happened on both holes and I did all this on my mill with a Center in the tap handle so the tap was going in dead strait. I also every kind of Magic Spuge on the tap. I managed to regrind the tip of the tap and made it thru both holes and I still have what's left of the $26 tap! It was Memorial Day and about 100F + and I sweated blood for 4 hours because there was no way I was going to be defeated by a Damn Tap!

The grain on my stock is nothing close to yours, and like I said above you have the best looking NRA Sporter (Replica?) I have ever seen. I kinda went ape with the Burgundy Tint in the oil finish and I may revisit that before I call it done. like to get a little more orange into it.

I am sending the metal for that gun and my .35-303 Enfield Sporter to Vang Comp to get them both Cera Koted as I don't have an oven large enough to swallow the barreled actions.

Will post pics when it is done. My barrel is a two groove and it is un fired from the DCM in 1965. My Metal Shop Teacher bought it for $15!

Randy.
    My barrel was a new in wrap S-C four groove. I bought it years ago for something like $30.00. I had that barrel and a good long slide Lyman 48, plus a milled trigger guard and floor plate. I had to do something with them. So, the idea was born.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post

That's the most practical option. One aperture was all I needed thirty years ago and if I had to swap them out in the field I'd probably have to buy replacements every year.
    The older I get the more I appreciate Merritt and Hadley.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I put the Skinner peep sight that mounts on the receiver on my Henry blue steel .357 magnum. I then had to get the Skinner front post sight to zero the rifle, as the OEM front sight was too short and caused my rifle to shoot very high.

After getting the taller Skinner front sight, it shot great,....easily zeroed to point of aim.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I put the Skinner peep sight that mounts on the receiver on my Henry blue steel .357 magnum. I then had to get the Skinner front post sight to zero the rifle, as the OEM front sight was too short and caused my rifle to shoot very high.

After getting the taller Skinner front sight, it shot great,....easily zeroed to point of aim.
    I eventually got the Alaskan, but also had to get a taller front sight. I just can't recall what height I ended up with. Anyone else use the Alaskan on their 45-70 guide gun, and remember what height front sight they bought?
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy

Good Working Aperture Sights

These aperture sights work great !!! My old tired eyes are able to guide a projectile to put Bambi on the turf. Have no experience with the new Henry rifles. They do not have the styling the old Winchesters and Marlins have. The 1895 and 336 Marlins are all drilled and tapped for an aperture rear sight. Easy install. I tried to up load a few photos.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aperature3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	308038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aperature2.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	308036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aperature3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	308038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aperature4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	308037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aperature1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	308035

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

That's encouraging.... that's exactly what I've done... tried the Skinner sight with original front sight, and was about 5.5" high at 25 yards. I put a taller Skinner front sight on it, and haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. This front sight is about a quarter inch taller than the original... it looks pretty tall, until you compare it with the original, which helps put it in a better perspective...

Name:	Henry front sight new.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	308160

Name:	Henry front sight compare.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	308161

My barrel was a new in wrap S-C four groove. I bought it years ago for something like $30.00. I had that barrel and a good long slide Lyman 48, plus a milled trigger guard and floor plate. I had to do something with them. So, the idea was born.
    Well you done good and I would be very proud of that gun were it mine, made by me. Hope mine turns out as good.

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-23-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    For what it’s worth, the use of ivory or a dogs tooth on front sights was because of a slight glow that helped in seeing the sight in low light. Ivory colored paint just isn’t the same
    Ivory/almond paint on the front bead or post works just fine for my eyes, although your comment about the "glow" from genuine ivory has me thinking about compounding some mica into the Rust Oleum Almond Appliance Touch Up paint. Can't put too much in or the critical pigment to binder ratio will be too high and adhesion/cohesion will be poor. Thanks for the comment that prompted the idea!

Noah

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    Ivory/almond paint on the front bead or post works just fine for my eyes, although your comment about the "glow" from genuine ivory has me thinking about compounding some mica into the Rust Oleum Almond Appliance Touch Up paint. Can't put too much in or the critical pigment to binder ratio will be too high and adhesion/cohesion will be poor. Thanks for the comment that prompted the idea!

Noah
    I wonder if ivory from an old piano key would be useful.

Boolit Buddy

Don't see why not! Now I gotta find and old abandoned saloon . . .

Noah

Well I'm a bit late to the party. Not much to add to the conversation that hasn't already been said. I'll just say five pages of posts and not enough pictures. So I'll chime in with my vote for peep sights with a link to photos of some of my rifles with peeps.

The little Marlin was a gift to my great Uncle when he was a boy pre-war. He said it was quite used at that time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tFeFNJ5qNB1A8XQn6

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to get the pictures to post on the thread yet.

RustyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	levers_small.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	308496
    Last edited by Rusty Goose; 12-26-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast