RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: opinions on aperture sights

Boolit Master
    FWIW
    for slow shooting the tang sight proly better but they get in the way of your grip out in the field (hunting) the receiver mounted sight wins that race.
    You might be surprised at the quality of shooting you can do with a really coarse rear aperture if you have a decent front sight.

I installed a Fire Sight a few years ago to use with a tang and changed it back to a squared front. I couldn’t see a crisp front post because of the color “bleed” around the edge. Can’t remember if it was red or green, but it was fuzzy. I like a square post better than a round. Although the rounded front isn’t as bad as the bright color, with aging eyes, it’s still had to see exactly where the top of the front post is.

Boolit Grand Master

For fast hunting shots hard to beat a receiver sight. Put a good visible front sight on it. Learn to shoot it with Both eyes open !
    For my 73 year old eyes as fast as a shotgun. Practice alot one shot groups. Lift rifle to shoulder, front sight on target and fire..
    After practice you will be a natural moving game slayer.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same experience as castaway with the fiber optic front sights. Also they're a little fragile. Finally settled on wide blade front sight. Works fine and also easier to see in low light.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Buddy
    I couldn’t see a crisp front post because of the color “bleed” around the edge.
    That's good to know... I haven't used FO sights, only looked at them in stores.

Finally settled on wide blade front sight. Works fine and also easier to see in low light.
    I saw that Skinner sells a wide blade front sight... that one might be in the cards.

Boolit Master
    I had a Henry Big Boy in 44 Magnum and it did a fine job of dampening 44 Magnum loads, but it was just too heavy at 8.5 pounds to tote easily in the woods. So I got a Rossi R92 which at 5 pounds was fine for me. However, I am 71 and the lettle buckhorn sight up near the front sight on the Rossi is tough. I have been considering getting the Skinner peep replacement for the Rossi safety. I used peep sights while on the college rifle team 50 something years ago, and understand and appreciate the improved light gathering ability and improved accuracy of a peep sight over a buckhorn sight, especially when the buckhorn is so far up the barrel. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Skinner peep replacement.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I installed a Fire Sight a few years ago to use with a tang and changed it back to a squared front. I couldn’t see a crisp front post because of the color “bleed” around the edge. Can’t remember if it was red or green, but it was fuzzy. I like a square post better than a round. Although the rounded front isn’t as bad as the bright color, with aging eyes, it’s still had to see exactly where the top of the front post is.

FWIW, I long ago learned the proper way to use a peep sight so the front sight is clearly seen is to:

1) Look through the aperture, and not "at" it - focusing on the front sight only.

2) Then move the front sight and place it on target (which may be a bit out-of-focus) and shoot.

Out-of-focus target or not, the bullet should strike true if the shooter does their part.

BTW - Fiber optic front sights ("Firesights" is only the Williams Gunsight Co's name) are available from diverse makers (Williams, Marbles, Hi-Viz, Tru-Glo, etc, etc) in different heights & colors (red, amber, green & more) so the proper color may be chosen to accommodate various folk's color perception (some colors work better than others for different folks).

Also, the fiber optic light pipes are also available (google) in lengths that a user may cut & polish (the cut ends) to make their own sight or replace the F-O rod on existing sights.

Last edited by pietro; 12-01-2022 at 12:02 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use the Williams Foolproof or Lyman 66 on most of my leverguns and .22's, they work great. For deer hunting I ordinarily use a low powered scope only because it offers a much more clear view in dim light.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to keep the Henry as "handy" as possible, so a scope is sort of the final option. I know I can hit things with a scoped rifle..
    My goal is simply to be able to group pretty well with it at ranges out to 100yds or so. 3-4" groups wouldn't break my heart at that range. If I can do that with an aperture, I'll be tickled.
    I have ordered a Skinner Express sight, and will see how it goes. If it doesn't give me the resolution I need, I'll mount the Leupold on it and be done. I've always been a "form follows function" kind of guy. Appearances don't matter to me nearly as much as results do...

Another aperture or peep sight fan. I find that having the rear sight closer to your eye works best. Fiber optic front sights are nice but the trade off is durability. The Skinner sight is top quality.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I would like to keep the Henry as "handy" as possible, so a scope is sort of the final option. I know I can hit things with a scoped rifle..
    My goal is simply to be able to group pretty well with it at ranges out to 100yds or so. 3-4" groups wouldn't break my heart at that range. If I can do that with an aperture, I'll be tickled.
    I have ordered a Skinner Express sight, and will see how it goes. If it doesn't give me the resolution I need, I'll mount the Leupold on it and be done. I've always been a "form follows function" kind of guy. Appearances don't matter to me nearly as much as results do...
    That should be doable. My biggest problem is that after about 60 yards I can't tell exactly where I am aiming, even using a six o clock hold. Minute of deer is the absolute best I can do.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    One tip that the old timers know: if your front sight is a round bead, make sure to sight in the rifle with the TOP of the bead on target, because if you just put the whole bead on the target you maybe can't see as much deer as you need in order to know where you're going to hit.
    Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 12-01-2022 at 03:54 PM. Reason: sunspots

Guys.. I'm on the cusp of "improving" my new Henry 357 levergun... I shot it with the factory buckhorns, and my grouping was pretty dismal at 50 yards. At 25 yards it was somewhat better, but still not what the rifle is capable of...

The problem is 68 yr old eyes...

I've heard that aperture sights will improve things greatly, but I am just curious if they will make this a hunting-worthy rifle.

So, in you older guys' experience, will apertures allow me to shoot actual groups at 50-100 yards, or should I just go with a scope? By eliminating having to focus on the rear sight, does that bring the front sight and target into better resolution?

I know the scope will make the rifle less "handy" to some extent, but I'm willing to do that if that's what I need to do to get good groups.
    I hated to admit to myself my eyes were done, and that was years ago now. I have a Leu 2 x 7 on my 45-70, much as I tried and tried to work Skinner sights. The game deserves better.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 12-01-2022 at 06:23 PM.
    -Paul

A visible front sight is a big deal for me with iron sights. I prefer peep sights if I can't have a normal scope setup.
    But, I'm learning to like the Burris FF3 a lot.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I switched to aperture sights many years ago. About the same accuracy as a scope. Too much fuzz in the aperture now, so switched back to factory iron sights and vastly better accuracy albeit headaches and eye strain. It seems for me at least, I will be moving over to scopes.

Boolit Grand Master

Guys.. I'm on the cusp of "improving" my new Henry 357 levergun... I shot it with the factory buckhorns, and my grouping was pretty dismal at 50 yards. At 25 yards it was somewhat better, but still not what the rifle is capable of...

The problem is 68 yr old eyes...

I've heard that aperture sights will improve things greatly, but I am just curious if they will make this a hunting-worthy rifle.

So, in you older guys' experience, will apertures allow me to shoot actual groups at 50-100 yards, or should I just go with a scope? By eliminating having to focus on the rear sight, does that bring the front sight and target into better resolution?

I know the scope will make the rifle less "handy" to some extent, but I'm willing to do that if that's what I need to do to get good groups.
    Aperture sights are superior to normal rear sights in both accuracy and speed. On the speed issue if the aperture is too small that will create issues for speed. There is reason the US military has been using them since 1917 on their main battle rifles.

The issue with aging eyes is the ability or lack of ability to clearly focus on the front sight. If you are focusing on the rear sight that is going to create problems. Apertures do help clear up the front somewhat.

A properly setup scope or red dot is quicker that open sights on a rifle. If you have to raise you head off the stock it's not setup properly.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-01-2022 at 08:40 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    I recently put a Skinner peep sight on my winchester 44 mag trapper, It helped with my 62 year old eyes. I have a krag carbine with a redfield 102k I put on it about 5 years ago, so I was already used to the aperture sights. Both sights use the same thread pitch on the aperture.

Boolit Buddy

peep/ aperture sights are likley one of the least- mastered forms of technology out there. It was the choice for irons for nearly every military weapon for decades until real marksmanship ceased to be a priority.
    As reliable now as it was on the buffalo feilds, Boer deserts, and trenches of WWI.
    Love 'em!

Boolit Buddy

Some 30 yrs ago I learned the value of an ivory front bead from a late friend that was 15 yrs older. Quite visible, but none of that bright, shiny reflective "bloom" of a brass bead. Not having the $$$ to spend on ivory bead inserts or the time to find them, for years I've degreased brass beads with acetone and applied a dab of almond-colored appliance touch up paint made by Rust-Oleum. Those off-white poor man's painted "ivory" beads really stand out with buckhorn, receiver, or tang sights, to my halfway to 138 yr old eyes. That tiny bottle of paint has lasted 13-15 yrs. When the paint flakes or chips off, wipe with acetone and reapply.

Noah

Boolit Buddy
    Those off-white poor man's painted "ivory" beads really stand out with buckhorn, receiver, or tang sights, to my halfway to 138 yr old eyes.
    dang... didn't know I was going to have to do math.... so, you're a year older than me, give or take...
    That's a good idea about the ivory touch up paint... I might give that a try on my Rossi with a brass bead...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast