RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Bushing firing pin Remington 700

Boolit Master

Bushing firing pin Remington 700

Had many Remington 700's over the years and they are my favorite rifle action.

But I have two newer 700's in .308 that were produced a few years before the last Remington fiasco. Problem is, both have a slight chamfer or bevel in the bolt face where the firing pin protrudes. Factory loads, low pressure loads, any loads, will crater or dimple the primer. I contacted Rem. a few years ago, and they said it was normal, and that it had been done for safety, as the "dimple" helped prevent blow-though of the primer, and the raised-radius (Dimple) made the primer cup stronger!

I am positively telling the truth, this was the response I received from Remington!....you can google the Remington primer protrusion problem and find that it is common with their new rifles. NOT a pressure problem, but a manufacturing problem.

Whether Remington is right or wrong, I just cannot stand the primers looking like this.

Anyone have experience with a good gunsmith/machinist who installs firing-pin bushings in Remington 700 bolts to cure this?

Doing some research, I have found some gunsmiths who specialize in this, but would like to hear from anyone who has personal experience and can give a recommendation.

Just to make it clear, I am not over loading or creating high pressure loads,...this is caused by the large firing pin hole and the chamfer/bevel that Remington machined into the bolt faces.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    It is a simple enough job that there should not be an issue having somebody do it that has done a few of them.

I see a potential degree of complication from the original face of the bolt not actually being square, but that would be as simple as just making it run square in the lathe.

In other guns like 1911 a side benefit is that the typically off center firing pin location is perfectly centered afterwards. They press in a plug to fill the hole then slide a perfect size transfer punch down the bore with the gun in battery and make a center punch mark on the plug, then put the hole there.

I have a 1911 45 acp that has the smaller firing pin used for 38 super done this way. it makes the fired brass look pretty .
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    I do my own, no I dont do them for others. However I have seen them done by Gre Tan, and his work is second to none. Other top name smiths who have great reputations but Ive never seen their bolt bushing jobs are Chad Dixon at Long Rifles, Jim Borden, etc. Check over on Accurate shooter for other recomendations.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Mold
    I just had my Remington 700 .223 done

carlsbad on the Accurate shooters forum did it.
    $110 plus shipping the bolt to him($10)USPS Flat rate box
    Less than 2 weeks from my sending until returned.
    Looks and shoots great.
    Do a search on that forum for a lot of info on this

I have done heaps of them when I was working in the rifle shop. And seen a lot of those bolts like that, I think some numbskull used a countersink to deburr them for a while before somebody noticed.
    Be careful doing it and don't cut any into the bolt face beyond the diameter of the primer so you don't increase the headspace.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I have done heaps of them when I was working in the rifle shop. And seen a lot of those bolts like that, I think some numbskull used a countersink to deburr them for a while before somebody noticed.
    Be careful doing it and don't cut any into the bolt face beyond the diameter of the primer so you don't increase the headspace.
    Nobade, you gave a perfect description of what I was trying to describe on the bolt face! It looks exactly like a countersink had been used on this bolt face in the firing pin hole. Still hard to believe the "C-Y-A" story the person at Remington gave me! They probably had to make something up to prevent recalling and replacing thousands of Rem. 700 bolts.

I have some older Rem. 700's in standard and magnum calibers and they have nice, tight, perfectly made firing-pins and bolt faces without any countersink/chamfer to the firing hole, so I can easily visually compare the difference with the newer ones...they are factory botched up.

Thanks to all for the input. I have several names to contact for a "firing pin bushing" repair on my M-700 bolts.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting