Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Low Light

Boolit Buddy

Low Light

Is there better than average in low light scope in the 3-9 (or less) power range for $200 or less? I didn't appreciate how bad a really cheap scope could be at dusk until last Saturday. Was using a 6X Nikon binocular to watch deer right up to dark-thirty until deciding to take one, when the rifle went up the view went dark. Went back to the bino's momentarily then cranked the scope power down to three, but even at that I was only able to just barely make out one animal from the other. I aborted.

The scope in question was a pawn shop too-ugly-for-the-used-rack, back-room special rifle... a rusty Western Auto Marlin 336 rifle I bought for the action only. Pulled the scope out to put on another rifle just to be able to shoot it. It worked fine in the daylight.

Boolit Master
    I have not found a cheap scope that works in low light. Would be interested in if anyone knows of one or more ??

Boolit Grand Master

The Leupold VX-1 and VX-Freedom are decent in low light. They aren't $200 anymore either though.

Boolit Master
    usually good and cheap don't go together

The larger the objective is, it seems to 'gather' more and more light.
    Even a cheap scope should do OK with a 40mm objective.

An easy way to check one is look through it backwards and see the image you see looking through it at the ground.
    Is it bright and how much of the full tube diameter you can see through.

Can you see through the full diameter, or does it look like a tube with a washer in it?
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-29-2022 at 08:51 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    The scope in question wears a 40mm objective - but,cheap does as cheap is. Rifle shoots darn good but, at $105 new back in '96 I cringe at the thought of spending $300-$400 on a scope for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    The scope in question wears a 40mm objective - but,cheap does as cheap is. Rifle shoots darn good but, at $105 new back in '96 I cringe at the thought of spending $300-$400 on a scope for it.
    If you want cheap ? You can try looking into a air-gun scope to put on your gun, I bought one a while back for the boys 30/06, if I remember right I paid $15.00 for it, works good for him, still, even in low light.

Boolit Grand Master

It's been a few years since I've tried them, but 5-10 years back the Bushnell Banner was a good inexpensive scope for low light. Today it's hard to talk about any low cost optic without at least mentioning Vortex too.

Weaver V3 1-3X -- I bought 1 and ended up getting (3) more put them on Slug guns and had one on my Rem Seven for a while until I put on a 1.5 - 5 Leopold VXIII. My Seven is chambered for a 416 wildcat based on a 300 WSM case, the Weaver V3 held zero. I compared the V3 in low light with a 2.5 x 7 Leupold VX3 and for my eyes and my daughter's young eyes the clarity was pretty similar. I was impressed due to the low price point. Another test to try is shooting towards a sunset into a shaded hill or timber. (brighter light behind a shaded area) Cheap scopes cloud up and turn orangish brown

Boolit Master
    4x40 was the thing years ago.
    They were pretty good low light scopes most of them.
    The 4x32 in a good brand would be as clear.
    You want about 7x the diameter of ocular lens to the power you use.
    6x56 was a low light fox shooting twilight wonder.

Probably all changed but a 2-3x clear lens at dusk is better then I could see naked with clarity.
    Germans used to make some big ocular scopes for stalking in dark Forrest’s.

Just a thought.

Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not cheap-cheap, $300 is okay $500 is not. I have a Vortex, one with a red dot. Bought it for a 45 Colt 336 that's never been finished. Stuck it on an AR just to shoot it - the dot is too big for the bull to shoot for group, ought to be great for hunting with the 336 though. Saw the first Burris today that I've laid eyes on in a number of years. Have their scope on a 44mag Super Redhawk and really like it. Looked at prices online - Burris seems to be price-point oriented, don't remember them making that impression on me back in the 90's when I last bought one. Where in the ranking do they land?

I'll look at Vortex again, the store with Burris had a good selection, Luepold too.

MarkP - good info.

Boolit Grand Master

Burris has changed quite a bit. They used to be a midrange quality scope for a good price.. They also used to be made in USA. Today they are mostly made in the Phillipines, they aren't bad scopes, but today they are definitely in the lower price category. I don't hear too many people choosing them over a nearly identically priced Vortex. Burris handgun scopes are an exception. There are very few handgun scopes today, and Burris makes a pretty good one.

For $300 you can buy a Leupold VX-Freedom. I've only got one, but it's as good as the VX-1 if you ask me. Some people aren't crazy about them, they do have a slighly blockier look, but they seem to perform as good as the VX-1. I have never heard anyone claim the glass in them is not as good as the VX-1 was. Alternatively ebay has some really good deals on VX-1 scopes if you look.

Low light scopes depend on entrance lens size and coating. Coating makes a big difference - daylight changes 'color' at dusk. Go to a big box store with a scope sunshade and try a selection of scopes. Look at the floor.
    Whatever!