RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Muzzle loading with a question

Boolit Master

New to Muzzle loading with a question

Hello all,
    I recently put a CVA wolf muzzle loader on layaway and I'm looking for help. From what I've read you're able to load .452 bullets in 50 caliber sabots. Is it ok to shoot cast bullets made from 16-1 alloy in the high twist inline barrels with the sabots? I plan on using Blackhorn 209 and magnum 209 primers. Thanks in advance, Boats

Boolit Master
    Why not just make and load .50 cal bullets in pure lead, there are a number of molds and bullet designs that work real good, blackhorn209 works great, was the only powder i used for years till they priced it so high now. I try to keep all my loads at about 1200 FPS in all my black powder guns with pure lead. In my 45/70 or .50 cal with blackhorn209 depending on lot number runs about 38 to 42 grs weighed, under a 500 gr bullet across a coronagraph to get 1200 FPS, with Mag primers. My Wolf CVA will put 5 touching at 100 yds if I do my part ?

Boolit Master
    The Sabot as long as it fits your Boolit will work with whatever type of alloy you use it even jacketed bullets

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Why not just make and load .50 cal bullets in pure lead, there are a number of molds and bullet designs that work real good, blackhorn209 works great, was the only powder i used for years till they priced it so high now. I try to keep all my loads at about 1200 FPS in all my black powder guns with pure lead. In my 45/70 or .50 cal with blackhorn209 depending on lot number runs about 38 to 42 grs weighed, under a 500 gr bullet across a coronagraph to get 1200 FPS, with Mag primers. My Wolf CVA will put 5 touching at 100 yds if I do my part ?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The Sabot as long as it fits your Boolit will work with whatever type of alloy you use it even jacketed bullets
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    You'll be happy with the pistol bullet in a sabot. I started out with Hornady SST bullets, which were super accurate and spoiled me. The problem was paying about $2 a shot for them. They were fine for hunting season, but I shoot more than I hunt. I tried casting round ball and was disappointed with accuracy out at 100 yds (12" groups?). Then I tried the Lee REAL, and it had better accuracy (4-5" groups) but I was dealing with lube and wads. My most recent foray has been the pistol bullets in a sabot, and I'm very pleased. They are easy, economical, and are giving consistent 2" groups at 100 yds. If there's a down side to them it's that they take a little more effort to ram down the barrel, but that tight fit may be the reason they are as accurate as they are.

I haven't used Blackhorn. I grab Pyrodex powder off the shelf and have found my TC Pro Hunter with the 28" twist really likes 80gr by volume with a standard primer. I'm not looking for monster power since the whitetails here are down around 150# live weight, so the load is more than enough. More powder was good for more smoke, noise and recoil, but did nothing for accuracy.

Good luck with the new adventure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    You'll be happy with the pistol bullet in a sabot. I started out with Hornady SST bullets, which were super accurate and spoiled me. The problem was paying about $2 a shot for them. They were fine for hunting season, but I shoot more than I hunt. I tried casting round ball and was disappointed with accuracy out at 100 yds (12" groups?). Then I tried the Lee REAL, and it had better accuracy (4-5" groups) but I was dealing with lube and wads. My most recent foray has been the pistol bullets in a sabot, and I'm very pleased. They are easy, economical, and are giving consistent 2" groups at 100 yds. If there's a down side to them it's that they take a little more effort to ram down the barrel, but that tight fit may be the reason they are as accurate as they are.

I haven't used Blackhorn. I grab Pyrodex powder off the shelf and have found my TC Pro Hunter with the 28" twist really likes 80gr by volume with a standard primer. I'm not looking for monster power since the whitetails here are down around 150# live weight, so the load is more than enough. More powder was good for more smoke, noise and recoil, but did nothing for accuracy.

Good luck with the new adventure.
    Thanks

Vendor Sponsor

I do that now in a CVA Optima (1 grade higher than the CVA Wolf) use a NOE 452-350 HP 2% tin and Pure lead and a Knight Black hi Pressure 50 cal sabot for 450-452 bullets
    Shot quite a few deer with this and 2 50 Grain White hot pellets. Have not lost a deer with that combo yet
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I do that now in a CVA Optima (1 grade higher than the CVA Wolf) use a NOE 452-350 HP 2% tin and Pure lead and a Knight Black hi Pressure 50 cal sabot for 450-452 bullets
    Shot quite a few deer with this and 2 50 Grain White hot pellets. Have not lost a deer with that combo yet
    Thanks. Are you lubing? Gas Checking?
    Last edited by boatswainsmate; 11-29-2022 at 04:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswainsmate View Post
    Hello all,
    I recently put a CVA wolf muzzle loader on layaway and I'm looking for help. From what I've read you're able to load .452 bullets in 50 caliber sabots. Is it ok to shoot cast bullets made from 16-1 alloy in the high twist inline barrels with the sabots? I plan on using Blackhorn 209 and magnum 209 primers. Thanks in advance, Boats
    Nice looking hollow points that's for sure!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Nice looking hollow points that's for sure!
    Thanks

Vendor Sponsor

No need to lube as the sabot protects the bore.
    I powdercoat everything I shoot but again not really necessary with the sabot
    Powdercoating will protect the kead bullet from growing hairy in very long term storage
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

No need for a gas check on the bullet. You don't want to lube the bullet either. It can help to use just a thin smear of lube on the outside of a sabot to help ease loading. That's one of the few good uses for TC bore butter. If they load real hard, you can size the bullet down. The alloy you use for the bullets doesn't matter. Pure lead is fine. For the speeds you will be seeing, I think 16:1 is going to be a very good choice with your pictured bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    No need to lube as the sabot protects the bore.
    I powdercoat everything I shoot but again not really necessary with the sabot
    Powdercoating will protect the kead bullet from growing hairy in very long term storage
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    No need for a gas check on the bullet. You don't want to lube the bullet either. It can help to use just a thin smear of lube on the outside of a sabot to help ease loading. That's one of the few good uses for TC bore butter. If they load real hard, you can size the bullet down. The alloy you use for the bullets doesn't matter. Pure lead is fine. For the speeds you will be seeing, I think 16:1 is going to be a very good choice with your pictured bullet.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Need to keep in mind the velocity a muzzle loader develops. You want to ensure bullet expansion at any distance when using a sabo.
    As stated. 16-1 that's about 5.88% addition of tin to a smelter batch of pure lead so to create a 11 Brinell of hardness.
    No higher than a 8-Brinell of lead hardness should be you're goal. {Reduce Tin addition in current recipe by 50%} That lesser measure of Tin will ensure a softer lead material. Ideal for energy dump on target and a large wound channel if your a Hunter?
    A 8- brinell hardness. That is near perfect for sabot use in B/P barrels.

Boolit Bub

I shoot lead bullets with a harvester crushed ribbed sabot out of 2 cva accuras. I have used 44 and 45 caliber boolits and they all shoot good. I use 90 grains of blackhorn powder. Cva makes a special breech plug for the blackhorn powder.

Boolit Master
    the casting look's to be perfect.

Boolit Master
    Load anything you like in a sabot , accuracy is dependent on barrel/twist /Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Need to keep in mind the velocity a muzzle loader develops. You want to ensure bullet expansion at any distance when using a sabo.
    As stated. 16-1 that's about 5.88% addition of tin to a smelter batch of pure lead so to create a 11 Brinell of hardness.
    No higher than a 8-Brinell of lead hardness should be you're goal. {Reduce Tin addition in current recipe by 50%} That lesser measure of Tin will ensure a softer lead material. Ideal for energy dump on target and a large wound channel if your a Hunter?
    A 8- brinell hardness. That is near perfect for sabot use in B/P barrels.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast