RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Easy lubrication of brass

Easy lubrication of brass

I learned this trick from and olde timer, when I was not an olde timer. To lubricate brass, use a large Country Crock plastic container. I saturate a 2"x2" GI patch with Hornady's paste lube, then put 10-15 cases in the container. Put the patch with the lube on it in the contaner and add another 10-15 cases. Put on the lid and shake the container for 1 minute. It will lube all the cases ready to size. I find this method easier and not as likely to over lube the cases and cause dents in the shoulder areas of bottleneck cases. I have never had a case stick in a die, that was lubricated this way.
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds great, I have a bunch I was planning on doing tonight, I'll give it a try ! I've been trying Lees water base lube, cut it with water about 4:1 and hand apply, was trying to come up with a better way, if this works I'll be eternally grateful....... well, at least for a week or so.

Boolit Master

I use Crisco.
    I take a Q-tip, ring the inside neck, then ring the outside neck and part of the shoulder. I size/deprime, then toss them back in the vibrator while I do other stuff.
    I found that to be long term simpler and cleaner.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Yes, it is easy for the outside; personally I use a small paint brush and lay them in a tray; dip the brush in the lube once, then wipe back and forth over the neck/shoulder area a few times. However for the necks it is still the chore of using a q tip or small brush. I've not found a happy way to avoid this yet...

I just use homemade spray lube on 50 at a time standing in the loading block and have at it, then wipe clean using laquer thinner.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Talking

I just dump a hand-full into a plastic container about the size of a shoe box, spray with Dillon case lube and shake them with the cover on for about 30 seconds and add another hand full and another spray of Dillon case lube. I repeat this till I have about 150 to 200 cases done. Dillon case lube is alcohol and lanolin and needs to be shaken before you spray it. After the cases have been coated with the Dillon case lube you have to let them set with the cover off for about 5-10 minutes to let the alcohol evaporate leaving the cases covered with lanolin that can be washed off with dish detergent. When I size cases I dump them into my case feeder with only a sizing die in my Dillon 650 and when they are all done I wash them in a plastic tub to keep the noise down and after a quick drying I dump them all into the tumbler to dry them. After they are done I leave the cover off the tumbler to let the corncob dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I just dump a hand-full into a plastic container about the size of a shoe box, spray with Dillon case lube and shake them with the cover on for about 30 seconds and add another hand full and another spray of Dillon case lube. I repeat this till I have about 150 to 200 cases done. Dillon case lube is alcohol and lanolin and needs to be shaken before you spray it. After the cases have been coated with the Dillon case lube you have to let them set with the cover off for about 5-10 minutes to let the alcohol evaporate leaving the cases covered with lanolin that can be washed off with dish detergent. When I size cases I dump them into my case feeder with only a sizing die in my Dillon 650 and when they are all done I wash them in a plastic tub to keep the noise down and after a quick drying I dump them all into the tumbler to dry them. After they are done I leave the cover off the tumbler to let the corncob dry.
    +1 on this only I use Lee lube diluted with lots of alcohol and sometimes cheap liquid car wax.

Boolit Buddy
    I lube them one at a time as I place them in my 550B by putting a little mink oil on my fingers and rubbing the case between them. I havent had a stuck case since I started doing it this way

I've been using Johnson paste wax. Just a dab on the finger, each case gets a quick swipe. It's been working great.

Boolit Master

I've used an old rock polisher and a 1-lb coffee can. Put a drop of CD-2 or STP size of a pinto bean in side the can, smear it around with your finger to spread it out, fill the can half full of rifle brass, put the lid on, and tumble away for 30 minutes. Dump into Cool-Whip bowl and press on.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

I used to load rifle cases in quantity (1000 at a time). Ed Harris, former American Rifleman staffer and Ruger Engineer had an excellent tip. Dilute Lee water base lube (with water), decap the cases with a universal decapper, then dip the cases in the liquid lube. I used a french fry basket and put a couple hundred at a time in the basket and lowered it in a .50 Caliber ammo can full of lube. Bring the basket out, shake the excess off and lay out on newspaper overnight. Next day, the cases are dry, and lubed inside and out with a wax that does NOT disturb powder (as long as they are dry. It IS important to decap them so air circulation will completely dry the cases quickly. Leave the mixture in the ammo can closed tightly and it'll be ready the next time. You may want to shake up the can before you open it as the mix tends to settle out a bit.

Best way I have found in sixty years of reloading.

Dale53

You can go to Lowes or an electrical supply store and buy GB Wire Aide. I don't know but am told this is the same as Lee case lube. I think it is though. It is much cheaper--a quart bottle is less than a 4 oz tube of Lee. I have not tried dilluting it. I just put some on my hands and as I handle the brass it gets lubed.

inside neck cleaning

I have never put lubricant inside a case neck. I use tight fitting nylon brushes and they clean the soot from the insdie of the necks. The passing of the neck over the expander ball is made much easier when the iside of the necks are clean.
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

Banned

for years ive used nothing but anhydrous lanolin. I had a bunch for making felix lube and still do and still will use it but refering to my post about about processing thousands of 223s it just gets to time consuming. I bought a couple pump spray bottles of frankfort arsonel case lube a few years ago and its been just sitting on the shelf. I figured id give it a try and it turns out to be a pretty good lube. I think its much better then one shot at lubing cases. I never had one stuck case with the stuff and with one shot im allways sticking cases especially when im sizing military brass in a small base die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    for years ive used nothing but anhydrous lanolin. I had a bunch for making felix lube and still do and still will use it but refering to my post about about processing thousands of 223s it just gets to time consuming. I bought a couple pump spray bottles of frankfort arsonel case lube a few years ago and its been just sitting on the shelf. I figured id give it a try and it turns out to be a pretty good lube. I think its much better then one shot at lubing cases. I never had one stuck case with the stuff and with one shot im allways sticking cases especially when im sizing military brass in a small base die.
    Kinda along the same lines here. I was using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and anhydrous lanolin but didn't care for the separation.

Now using 1 part anhydrous lanolin to 5 parts Iso-Heet in a quality 4 oz spray bottle. I'll never have to buy case lube ever. Its the same thing as Dillon lube and the others, but smells better. Oh, and there is no separation of the liquids.
    Sprue ™

Moderator Emeritus
    Sprue,

If you mix the Lanolin with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol it won't separate and is supposed to be the same as what Dillon sells. I have used Dillon's lube as well as mine and they do seem to be the same.

You can make quite a bit for what Dillon charges for a container. I put mine in a quart pump sprayer from the dollar store. It will last me several years.

I lube a couple hundred cases in under a minute. I tumble the sized cases for about 15 minutes to remove the lube.

John