Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas check engagement on boolit shank

Boolit Bub
    I guess it's more a gas check flaring tool. What's the inside depth of you gas checks? measure and let me know. just trying to keep you from seating checks with a hammer

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by agcannon View Post
    I guess it's more a gas check flaring tool. What's the inside depth of you gas checks? measure and let me know. just trying to keep you from seating checks with a hammer
    The gas checks I received from Sage's Outdoors are .319" outer diameter, .283" inner diameter, and .056" in depth, as near as I can measure with a digital caliper.

Scotty

Boolit Buddy
    I would try an unsized bullet put the gas check and see if it works, I think larry hit on it, if the bullets are allready sized then there in no resistance to help get the gas check on.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I would try an unsized bullet put the gas check and see if it works, I think larry hit on it, if the bullets are allready sized then there in no resistance to help get the gas check on.
    I'll try that with the next batch of boolits I cast up.

I think the problem I am experiencing now is gas check shanks that are too large. (the pressure from forcing them through the sizer might have smooshed the shank out a few thousandths of an inch wider?) The gas checks just won't go onto the boolit shank straight and square without pounding them on. When I reduce the shank diameter with my home made tool, they go on easily, nice and straight and square, and they crimp on just fine. It seems to work, but it's kinda tedious, that's all.

Scotty

Boolit Master
    I believe the gas check will get seated fully when the round is fired. As long as it's on there securely.

Even if it's not on there securely, it would probably be ok, but you can check this yourself. I had one bullet out of a batch where the gas check easily slid on/off after lubing and sizing. I was afraid it could fall off inside the case. To test this idea, I seated it in an empty case and then cut the case in two, right behind the bullet. At the proper seating depth, this left the gas check almost 100% protruding into the case... yet I couldn't pry the gas check off. So it must have been only 95% exposed.

After realizing the case will hold the check I loaded up a batch of unsized bullets with the gas check just placed over the shank without sizing/crimping it in place. The unsized gas check killed the neck tension, and the bullet would just pull out of the case if you unchambered the cartridge. But the gas check would still be in there, holding the powder in. It wasn't a big batch, but I didn't notice any difference in POI or accuracy.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - scottyp99 needs a decent MICROMETER to measure DIAMETERS.
    Various calipers are great for LENGTHS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12