WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest nut seeds

Boolit Master

Chest nut seeds

Would any one know ? How would I get some Chestnut seeds and get them to grow ? Thank You

Boolit Grand Master

Amazon will sell seeds for either human consumption or deer plots. They require 3 or 4 months of cold (simulated winter) before they will germinate. Google will provide more details.

ETA: Minneapolis might be too cold…
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Wish I'd known you wanted some. I had a yard full this fall. I've got a half dozen planned in a big flower pot rite now to see how they germinate. Mine are American Chinese back cross. Some display more of one trait or another and are slightly susceptible to the blight, but it usually only causes a canker or occasionally takes a limb. Not sure how far north they'll grow as well.

Moderator Emeritus
    Thunderstick,

Do you eat the chestnuts?

I get saplings every year just from the nuts I miss the previous fall.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Thunderstick,

I have been on a meat only diet, so I haven't eaten any this year. In the past I eat them raw and candy them cooked. I have one granddaughter who loves them, and a dog that will flounder himself on them, while my other two dogs will only eat them if I hull them out!

Wash them with a dilute solution of water and bleach, rinse them off well with water. Place the nuts in a zip lock plastic bag filled with moist clean sand and place the bag in the refrigerator in the winter time. The nuts should begin to sprout around Springtime. Plant in a deep grow-tainer pot allow to grow until fall and transplant before the ground freezes to the desired location. It will resemble an uncooked bean sprout coming out of the nut. The problem I had was with squirrels digging up the nuts while they were in the pots. I had a bunch of Scarlet Oaks growing in deep root grow trays the squirrels destroyed these in one day.

A good friend of mine got a PhD in seed science and works in the seed priming industry, he told my about the moist sand in refrigerator technique.

May need to clean the sand with dilute beach as well.

These are the types of trays & pots that I used for growing trees. 1 qt and 1/2 gal paper milk cartons will work as well, I would assume a Pringles potato chip can should work for getting deeper downward growing roots as well. Maybe duct tape two milk cartons together to make deep root containers.

After transplanting on rural property and spot watering for the first year I would guess I had a 15 to 20% survival rate after 3 yrs or so. SW Iowa -- deer, mice, insects, and summer heat are tough on them. City Trees have a much easier life as compared to wild trees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HIKO_full-page-scaled-e1605223903626-300x300.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	307380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree pot.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	307381

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Thunderstick,

Have not had the opportunity ? Would like to try and also grow some for deer food plot ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I get saplings every year just from the nuts I miss the previous fall.
    Would like to get some seeds to grow and then try some for eating and deer food plots ??

Banned
    If your east of the Mississippi the nuts might need to be treated for insects if you want to use them as seeds , there's a weevil that lays its larvae in them that's fairly prevalent .

Had a Chinese tree in the backyard at my old place and you had about two weeks to gather up and eat the nuts before the larvae turned them into mush .

Boolit Master
    I got some nuts from a good fellow south CA that were from very good chinese trees and put them in tissue moisten bag in the fridge for a certain time that I had looked up. To keep rodents out I germinated them in pots in the house then outside with the cat right next to them. I had good germination, but I have lost some mainly due to where I put them.
    I also have 3 dunstans and an unknown chinese variety that does well. I also have some hybrid chinkapin x chinese chestnuts that are doing ok.
    Chestnuts when they put out mature tassels with pollen do not smell nice for sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I got some nuts from a good fellow south CA that were from very good chinese trees and put them in tissue moisten bag in the fridge for a certain time that I had looked up. To keep rodents out I germinated them in pots in the house then outside with the cat right next to them. I had good germination, but I have lost some mainly due to where I put them.
    I also have 3 dunstans and an unknown chinese variety that does well. I also have some hybrid chinkapin x chinese chestnuts that are doing ok.
    Chestnuts when they put out mature tassels with pollen do not smell nice for sure.
    Thank You for the information maybe I will be able to learn of all this in person ???

The local Rural King has saplings every spring. I have 6 trees planted in my yard and we are just now getting nuts. Here is a link.

https://chestnuthilloutdoors.com/
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The local Rural King has saplings every spring. I have 6 trees planted in my yard and we are just now getting nuts. Here is a link.

Thank You

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    They smell like rotting meat mixed with soap and sugar to me! They also seem to depend on beetles and flys for pollination. They stink for sure!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    They smell like rotting meat mixed with soap and sugar to me! They also seem to depend on beetles and flys for pollination. They stink for sure!
    Of course they rely on beetles and flys for pollination, prior to the European transfer there were no honey bees in America.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Soak them in water for 24 hours and then put them in a Ziploc bag and a wet paper towel in the refrigerator all winter and forget about them. Come closer to spring they’ll start growing tails. Then get them outside or in planters. I have a bunch of Apple trees I started from seats this way probably 13 plus years ago. Had a couple that turned out really good and are giving me big quality apples. Also 8 have a few sweet cherry trees Producing awesome cherries I started from seeds at the same time. I have a few crab apples that turned out from apple seeds so start a bunch of them Because you never know what you’re gonna get. If you have a few extra send some to me and I’ll experiment.

Boolit Master
    ive got about 500 chestnut trees but planted them all as seedlings. I never grew my own from seed. but just about a week ago I got some real nice Italian chestnuts I found at a grocery store in the city that I bought with the intention of growing. I'm going to try markp's advice and hope it works. it would be real nice to add another variety to the orchard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post

Chestnut hills was connected to the development of the dunstan chestnut. In the south they have regular truck route where they distribute trees to Walmarts in other stores. If you get on their mailing list they will publish those routes and drop off dates. There is a youtuber out of Erie Pennsylvania that does a lot on chestnuts. https://www.youtube.com/@johnsangl

Boolit Master
    if anyone is interested in buying seedling/saplings in bulk. many state have seedling sales programs as part of the department of forestry. some will ship out of state. this is where I got my Chinese chestnut trees and dustan trees for about $1 a tree. they ship bare root trees during winter and early spring to be planted during dormancy. they usually go on sale mid or late summer to be shipped in winter. varieties like chestnuts dont last long you need to place pre paid order as soon as the sale opens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast