WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Heating Element In A Lee 10 Pound Pot

Heating Element In A Lee 10 Pound Pot

Anybody ever replaced a heating element in a LEE 10 pound pot. I was given one (that makes 4 that I have) that the heating element has gone bad. You can hear pieces of it rattling around. I think I could put it to use if I can replace the element.

ACC

Boolit Grand Master
    This is coming from someone who has never taken a lee pot apart.

They aren't all that complicated, and the parts used to be available from Lee fairly cheap.

My advice is to take it apart before ordering parts, see what it actually needs. A multimeter may be very useful in trouble shooting.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Check Ebay

Boolit Master
    I thought my heating element went out, found out it was the temperature gauge / element ?

Boolit Master
    Contact Lee Precission. They probably will send you one, you just have to pay shipping.

Banned

I was just going through some stuff and found my old junker one that I quit using. Fought it for years, then one day after getting a pot full melted, it clogged up like it did a million times before, but I couldn't easily get it unclogged and had recently got a used Lyman so dumped it and got the Lyman out. I can plug it in to check, but it still heated up last I knew.

If you can use it, let me know, a lead pot is one place I definitely learned you get what you pay for.

Hey ACC
    The Lee 10 pound pot is my staple furnace. I have replaced the heating coil many times. It is not difficult and becomes easy with practice. Lee will send you an element for shipping costs. Now is the time to do a few upgrades that will make your little pot a dream to use and extend the element life. Insulating the liner is an improvement that few have realised the value of. Lapping the valve and seat is simple with the pot empty. A wire wheel and high tempature paint will help extend life of the pot and parts. Here is a trick you should pay a dollar for: A slight bend in the tip of the valve stem will make the angle correct for much better seal and a vast reduction of the legendary dripping. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun stuff 009.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	307376 Sorry about the picture quality. You can see the slight bend difference here side by side with an unbent valve. You must pay attention to the proper direction of the bend but it is easy to bend. Along with a quality PID and you can cast projectiles superior to any you might purchase. This is coming from hands on experience. Hope it helps, good skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

I have a 10 pounder that I have been using for 45 years. I have replace the element, the inner liner and the thermostat once.

As suggested, take it apart before you order parts. I found pieces of lead that had found their way between the inner and outer liners of the pot.

Your problem could be something as simple as a broken wire.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was just going through some stuff and found my old junker one that I quit using. Fought it for years, then one day after getting a pot full melted, it clogged up like it did a million times before, but I couldn't easily get it unclogged and had recently got a used Lyman so dumped it and got the Lyman out. I can plug it in to check, but it still heated up last I knew.

If you can use it, let me know, a lead pot is one place I definitely learned you get what you pay for.
    I finally gave up on getting it unclogged, and have been using it ever since as a plain melter. Since all my molds are double cavity and don't need high production; I have been using a ladle and making pressure pours with it. I took the valve assembly plumb out of it for clearance. And it sure does not leak anymore.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Moderator Emeritus

Easy to replace.
    I would get both the element and the thermostat...and maybe a liner and valve too.
    Order them direct from Lee's webpage and Lee will send you them for free, but you pay shipping.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I think my Lee pot went bad today. I use to propane torch to melt a cold ingot to improve casting time. But, the lead is clogged at the nipple and liquid at the top. I've been using a paper clip to clear the nipple every so often. Does that nipple tend to clog up? The spout pours at different angles and the paper clip wire doesn't clean straight. Can I disassemble my pot and run a thin drill bit through the nipple. Also I need to disassemble my pot. Beside a broken wire, I'll have to do a search on how to test the pot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I think my Lee pot went bad today. I use to propane torch to melt a cold ingot to improve casting time. But, the lead is clogged at the nipple and liquid at the top. I've been using a paper clip to clear the nipple every so often. Does that nipple tend to clog up? The spout pours at different angles and the paper clip wire doesn't clean straight. Can I disassemble my pot and run a thin drill bit through the nipple. Also I need to disassemble my pot. Beside a broken wire, I'll have to do a search on how to test the pot.
    You can clear the spout with a 3/32" drill bit.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Look on Titian they have a link on the top of the page here and they have what you need , That is where i got my element and thermostat they are easy to replace, i had worn my out and need to get myself another one and use the one I got for parts. I usen a pot from Lyman the Big Dipper with a large ladle to do casting for now till I get myself another 10lb Lee pot . Here is the link to the one I think is the one you need on Titian website . https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...oil-500w-110v/
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Can I drill straight through the nipple into the pot reservoir? the path of the hole is at an angle and I don't want to damage the pot if it's designed to be crooked?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!