RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Will bullet lube melt / burn off if you put in a melting pot?

Boolit Mold

Will bullet lube melt / burn off if you put in a melting pot?

I got what was supposed to be some "copper plated" bullets in a trade. I didn't inspect them before the trade, but when I got home I discovered they weren't copper plated. They were "copperized" - which looks more like a copper wash than anything. I decided to part with them, but have received quite a few PM's and responses to the effect of "Ugliest bullet I've ever seen". Slightly annoying, but also just as amusing, because I think they are pretty dang ugly too. Ha!

Anyway, I was considering just melting them down and trying to re-pour them into something more useful to me - like maybe a ton of 9mm, .357, or maybe even some shotgun slugs. But I don't know whether the bullet lube would melt off / burn off, or just cause a huge mess in the melting pot. I'm also not sure how these would melt either, as I've never dealt with "copperized" lead.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. I did some searches on the site, and found plenty of reference to these NBC (National Bullet Company) bullets, but most of it was about shooting them, vice remelting them into something else.

All the best,
    Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NBC 265 grain.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuntec View Post
    I got what was supposed to be some "copper plated" bullets in a trade. I didn't inspect them before the trade, but when I got home I discovered they weren't copper plated. They were "copperized" - which looks more like a copper wash than anything. I decided to part with them, but have received quite a few PM's and responses to the effect of "Ugliest bullet I've ever seen". Slightly annoying, but also just as amusing, because I think they are pretty dang ugly too. Ha!

Anyway, I was considering just melting them down and trying to re-pour them into something more useful to me - like maybe a ton of 9mm, .357, or maybe even some shotgun slugs. But I don't know whether the bullet lube would melt off / burn off, or just cause a huge mess in the melting pot. I'm also not sure how these would melt either, as I've never dealt with "copperized" lead.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. I did some searches on the site, and found plenty of reference to these NBC (National Bullet Company) bullets, but most of it was about shooting them, vice remelting them into something else.

All the best,
    Glenn
    dunno if this helps but I got hold of some "copperised" lead sheeting - said that on the label attached and you could see the sheen on it - I fluxed it extra in the pot and it casted fine -----only way is to is try a handful - see what happens I guess.

I think National Bullet Co has been gone for 20 years or more. I still have a few cast bullet from them. Years ago I think towards the end they offered some copper washed cast bullets. I’ve never tried any but seem to remember that the guys that did try them had pretty good results. This was probably pre HyTek or PC bullet time. Think they were made in Ohio somewhere and the owner passed away. Might try some other forums for old info.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd shoot them, but in answer to your question, the lube will melt right off and help flux the melt.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Would not have a problem melting them in a pot. The lube will melt off,might smoke some, and the impurities will float to the top.

I'd shoot 'em.
    Melting and re-casting them is just making extra work for yourself.
    There's probably plenty of other people more than willing, or would be glad to do that for you.

Better yet- if they aren't a boolit/caliber combination you already shoot:
    This is the perfect reason why you need to buy a gun that will.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If the bullets are totally encapsulated with copper plating, I would cut each bullet in half so the lead has a way out of the copper skin.

The lube will melt off and smoke a lot, throw in a match to burn off the smoke.

Before melting try buffing them out a little. I experimented with plating a few years back and some of the bullets came out looking similar to those. If they don't buff out throw them in the melting pot. Another alternative is to tumble lube the whole bullet and shoot them.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I'd shoot them if I had a gun they fit in.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd shoot 'em.
    Melting and re-casting them is just making extra work for yourself.
    There's probably plenty of other people more than willing, or would be glad to do that for you.

Better yet- if they aren't a boolit/caliber combination you already shoot:
    This is the perfect reason why you need to buy a gun that will.

Don't forget our motto ... Never Pass up a Good Excuse To Buy a Firearm !
    and having a bunch of boolits falls under Great Excuse !
    Remelting and recasting new boolits is just too much danged work ...
    New Gun is the easy way to solve your problem ... and easy way is the best way !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"