Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: "Muzzleloading" 209 Primers

Boolit Master

"Muzzleloading" 209 Primers

I bought some fancy pants "muzzleloading" 209's made by Federal at Walmart. They make big promises but they didn't pan out.

I shot some today and they gave me worse accuracy. The cups are also steel unlike my cheap Chedite primers so I got more blowback and a dirty breach plug.

I switched back to the cheap French primers and all was good.

Boolit Master
    Federal muzzleloading primers don't seal. Talked to a fed rep years ago, His answer was to call federal and send them back. I did not. Will not use them again. Found some off brand mag 209 primers that work great with blackhorn209, Remington also work good for me.

Boolit Master
    I use regular CCI 209 in inlines/sidelocks with Mag spark adapters ,been using them for 15-20 yrs no problem with BH 209 /OE BP nothing fancy just works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Ed

Boolit Master
    Still having a good time with my Rem 97’s for plinking away. I have a box of Federals and CCI’s sitting in the bag just in case I decide to do some real hunting with the ML. So far with my limited experience I’ve seen a bigger difference in group sizes based on bullet choice and powder charge. All of them seem to make a mess in the primer areas and I just chalk it up to just being how it is with an inline.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=Primers

pilot error

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

"The cups are also steel unlike my cheap Chedite primers so I got more blowback and a dirty breach plug." ....sss

SSS, If you wrap your breech plug in teflon tape + a bit of lube, you won't get as much blowback. A small wire brush will remove the teflon tape when you want to remove the breech plug and clean your rifle.
    Last edited by Maven; 11-30-2022 at 02:33 PM.

I use reg W209's and was mixing them up with Regular Fed 209's . Left me scratching my head with my load 370 Maxiball over 90gr of Goex FF . What I found out is the Fed's grouped 4" lower at 100yds than W209s . The Winchesters also grouped better as well . I thought that the ML 209s were created to help with the T7 crud ring .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Banned
    I could only find the remington "muzzleloading" 209 primers. I stopped muzzleloading for that reason.