RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag with 2400 under a 240 gr swc

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Super Blackhawk with two sticky chambers. If I recall correctly a light polishing of the affected chambers by a local gunsmith cleared up the problem. I love Ruger handguns but they are a little rough on the inside and can have teething problems.

Boolit Buddy

Have you verified your powder scale with check weights?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ia.redneck View Post
    Have you verified your powder scale with check weights?
    That would be my suggestion. Sticking in two different firearms is a strong indicator the problem is with the ammunition.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Do the cases with the lighter load come out dirty? That would mean you are getting crap between the case and the cylinder wall and that is causing the cases to stick.

Again, what do the primers look like?

Boolit Master
    Definitely agree on verifying your scale with check weights. If you don't have them, you can get them MidwayUSA and others fairly cheaply. Definitely a required item for handloading.

Also agree on checking the appearance of the primers. Are they still rounded at the edge, or are they ironed flat? Does the firing pin dimple have a raised edge and look like a crater?

One other important thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, does commercial ammo have the same problem with the cases sticking?

Boolit Master
    ^^^ a Dime has always been ~35 gr...
    good enough for detecting wayyy outta wack...which this would have to be...

Boolit Mold
    OK guys, Thanks for all your help. It came down to my powder dispenser, and digital scale. It was reading 17gr when in actuallity it was 26.2. We fixed the issue! Using a new Digital and a. beam to verifyI know why cases were sticking....LOL

That could have been disastrous. I have never used a digital scale for powder. Only a beam scale and check weights. Glad you are OK.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    That could have been disastrous. I have never used a digital scale for powder. Only a beam scale and check weights. Glad you are OK.
    I keep a dime by the Scale!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That would be my suggestion. Sticking in two different firearms is a strong indicator the problem is with the ammunition.
    Not 44's, but 38 Specials here. I loaded up some Lee 356 158 grain rounds in an assortment of cases. I noticed they were sticking a bit when chambered, and after firing were more difficult to extract than normal in my S&W Model 67. I went back and used a heavier crimp on the remaining rounds, and then tried a "plunk" test with the rounds I had re-crimped. Further, those that passed were not hard to extract either. A few 38 Special cases head stamped WCC still would not pass the "plunk test".

I'd suggest you try and re-crimp a few rounds and see if they then passed the "plunk" test.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherboo1 View Post
    OK guys, Thanks for all your help. It came down to my powder dispenser, and digital scale. It was reading 17gr when in actuallity it was 26.2. We fixed the issue! Using a new Digital and a. beam to verifyI know why cases were sticking....LOL
    26.2 grs . of 2400 ... .
    some call that hot ... I recently bought a digital scale but after playing with it for awhile I'm not going to use it ... I just don't trust it 100% like my RCBS 5-0-5 .
    The thing acts squirrely at times .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Elmer Keith would say 17 grains was kindly hot, but 26.2 is way on up there.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Elmer Keith would say 17 grains was kindly hot, but 26.2 is way on up there.
    If his scale was reading over 26gn for a 17gn load. He stated that his loads were 21gn's that would mean he was running over 30gn of 2400 under that 240gn keith. Just measured up 30gn of 2400 and it fills the case up level to the top. Even 26.5gn's would be hard to seat that bullet to depth.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Grand Master

Very dangerous indeed is 26.2 gr of 2400 under a 240 gr bullet. Good thing you were shooting a Ruger BH and not a S&W.

In the 44 magnum 22 gr of 2400 will give a psi just under the SAAMI MAP of 36,000 psi with a 240 gr cast bullet. Very close to that MAP with a 255 gr cast. I suspect a load of 26.2 gr would be at or above proof level psi's.

If you weighed those bullets on that digital scale are you sure they weighed 240 gr?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I periodically check my dillon dig scale with check wts. Its your first place to look when your load seems off.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

WOW

I always knew my Ruger SBH was tough, but Damn.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I keep a dime by the Scale!!!
    Keep it simple....

Boolit Master
    My Lyman beam scale acted up on me one time. I can’t remember why… might have been the damping magnet moved out of position. I use check weights every time I load, even with beam scales.

I keep a hornady 55gr rifle bullet next to my scale

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast