WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with components

Boolit Buddy

Flying with components

I知 flying to work a few weeks out of town and thought about taking my Lee hand press and spent brass to process in my downtime. No powder, no primers. Has anyone flown recently with these with no problems. The paranoid side of me thinks they値l have an explosives sniffing dog discover my bag and cause a problem. Any advice???

Mail it to your self. Just ain't worth the problems you may encounter. The days of earlier times have passed. I read some where that people are sending their luggage ahead of their flight.
    Last edited by super6; 11-28-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

If you can put it in a CHECKED bag I might take it. But if in a carry on bag, I wouldn't. Ain't worth the trouble though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Man, can imagine explaining that stuff to a TSA employee

Vendor Sponsor

Nothing good could possibly emerge from such an innocent enough plan, HOWEVER.. Them TSA agents are not usually gun friendly folks, you can travel with a firearm in checked baggage IF it is unloaded and in it's own locked container. I am assuming the ammo can't be in there with the gun, would have to check on that one but since I have NO plans of flying anywhere anytime soon, that one's on you.

Ammo components *could* be bomb making equipment depending on which TSA agent sticks their nose in your business.

If you got one of them butchy ones, liberal, Biden contributor, political activist pro life types, they could google your destination city for abortion clinics and if they come up with a hit in the same city you are flying to then "TSA AGENT FOILS PLAN TO BOMB ABORTION CLINIC" don't think for a New York instant they wouldn't do exactly that.

The fact that you are even thinking about flying with this stuff is VERY questionable.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-28-2022 at 05:38 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6ー 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I wasn't allowed to carry Airgun pellets in carry on.
    I would think twice about checking it too.

You may be legal but you may get hassled anyways

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    If you can put it in a CHECKED bag I might take it. But if in a carry on bag, I wouldn't. Ain't worth the trouble though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    I bought new brass one time on a trip. Put it in my checked luggage but asked TSA about it. They told me that even unprimed, never loaded brass cannot be in carry on luggage. I would have liked to hear the justification but thought it best no not press the issue. We're not talking about knowledgeable people here.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I was denied boarding once because I had 12 untipped arrow SHAFTS. That being said most airlines allow you to have loaded ammunition or components in your checked baggage. Hawaiian airlines allow 11 pounds per passenger.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Empty shells without projectiles are allowed. I would still not try it...
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../shell-casings
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    Last I flew to Benning for world tryouts, shipped loaded ammo down, had loaded ammo in checked baggage on flight back, no problem, had rifle in locked case on flight down and back, no problem, fired brass in another checked bag on way back, TSA took apart every box of fired brass and checked it. Chocolate sometimes trips there sensers. Wife had her bag checked, had a pound of chocolate.
    Ship it to your self ! Both directions !

Boolit Master

I think I壇 find something else to do with my down time.
    It値l cost $17.00 to ship a MFRB each way plus your time and gas to get to the PO. Depending on your packing skills, you can fit 1,700 pcs of 38 special brass in that MFRB. And wait while the PO gets around to delivering it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Man, can imagine explaining that stuff to a TSA employee
    long story short, I once had a very difficult time explaining to TSA what the custom orthotic foot inserts were in my shoes. For a few minutes I thought I was going to jail for having custom foot arch supports in my shoes.......would advise against your idea...

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    long story short, I once had a very difficult time explaining to TSA what the custom orthotic foot inserts were in my shoes. For a few minutes I thought I was going to jail for having custom foot arch supports in my shoes.......would advise against your idea...
    Try explaining running shoes that have battery operated lights in the heels.

Every time you take a step the light flashes.

One trip with those was enough.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I bought new brass one time on a trip. Put it in my checked luggage but asked TSA about it. They told me that even unprimed, never loaded brass cannot be in carry on luggage. I would have liked to hear the justification but thought it best no not press the issue. We're not talking about knowledgeable people here.
    I had an NRA bullet keyring signed by Charlton Heston. Obviously a keyring with the ring through the body of the "bullet". Flew to the Caribbean with it and got questioned by TSA couple of times with nothing but a "neat" until the return in Miami. TSA through a fit and I ended up with several of them standing around, finally a supervisor showed up. I could see him trying to come up with something to back up his guys and gals and finally told me as justification for taking it "you might wrap it up in a piece of paper and threaten to hurt yourself with it" and looked rather embarrassed at having just said it ...I was so speechless I just stared at him then told him if he wanted it that bad to just keep it, I'd get another. I bet he still has it in his pocket.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Agree with all the above . Unfortunately not worth the hassle.

Take them, you might enjoy the pat-down and the conversation.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I once tried to board a domestic flight with a new, still in the plastic and cardboard packaging, empty, 1911 magazine in my carry-on (ca. 2015). After responding to the airport, the very nice policeman explained to me that I could send it in my checked bag, but not in my carry-on. In today's world, I doubt that I would try to ship reloading components of any type, even in my checked baggage.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

They won't let you smoke, but maybe they'll give you coffee and a doughnut while you sit in the green room and miss your flight
    while answering foolish questions while they run a criminal check on you.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sloughfoot View Post
    I知 flying to work a few weeks out of town and thought about taking my Lee hand press and spent brass to process in my downtime. No powder, no primers. Has anyone flown recently with these with no problems. The paranoid side of me thinks they値l have an explosives sniffing dog discover my bag and cause a problem. Any advice???
    Sometimes, just sometimes, it pays to be a bit paranoid.

Ignore the sane advice, just do it and post the results! Should be very interesting reading. I see the headlines now. TSA charges domestic terrorist with hollow point rifle brass. Man attempts to board plane with a grocery bag of ammunition. Why would anyone need 50 pieces of brass? That痴 just the beginning of the entertainment. Wait until they interview you. I知 thinking it would start to go down hill about then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast