Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: How fast can I push Ranier plated 148 grain .3575 DEWC?

Boolit Master

How fast can I push Ranier plated 148 grain .3575 DEWC?

I was digging for something on the floor under my work bench and came up with a full 1,000 piece box of Ranier plated 148 grain .3575 DEWC. I'll bet that box has been there for at least 10 years and I don't even recall ordering it. Anyone have an idea how fast these can be pushed in .38 Special and .357 Mag without stripping off the plating? I'm assuming these were swaged then plated, but I don't know for sure. Thanks in advance, Gray Fox.

Boolit Master

They use the same load data as cast bullets, so don't push them to fast.

Boolit Buddy
    Midway says not more than 1500 fps for some Rainier bullets. I remember reading an article that had two levels of max speed for the plated bullets; can't find it now.

Rainier has an accuracy page on their website and they recommend no more than 1200 fps.

I got quite a few plated .40/10mm RN bullets in a deal- and they are shooting well enough at 900 ish fps to keep me using them until they are gone. I'll bet Raniers web site will state a velocity limit for their bullets.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks, guys, just what I need. I don't expect to exceed 1,000 fps in a .357, and I'm picking up a near mint 1977 S&W 12-3 2" Wednesday that's going to live on factory standard loads. GF

Boolit Master
    Even in a 357 I would be looking in the 8-900fps range depending on where you find the best accuracy. No need to push them at all. All my past use of plated bullets had a speed limit of 1200fps I soon after got into casting and have not looked back.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Even in a 357 I would be looking in the 8-900fps range depending on where you find the best accuracy. No need to push them at all. All my past use of plated bullets had a speed limit of 1200fps
    Good advice. Also be careful with crimping. A rupture of the plating can cause it to peel. Not to sound discouraging Plated works fine.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    I came across a box of Berry's bullets. 9mm (.356) 124gr Hybrid Hollow Point.
    "Recommended Velocity: 1050-1150fps"