RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington single shots

Remington single shots

The theme today at our monthly Oregon Arms Collectors show was Remington rifles, so I picked three Rolling Blocks, and three Hepburns from the safe to display. Sitting on the floor at the end of the table is an original Creedmoor Long Range 35x power Scelsi French spotting scope. It dates to the late 1800's.

The three Hepburns are top to bottom:

A Hepburn Mid-Range deluxe, engraved, with #3 weight 30" full octagon .45-70 barrel. Long range vernier tang sight, globe front sight, and 6x scope by unknown maker, in Winchester rings.

Hepburn Long-Range in .40-65 with a heavy #4.5 weight full octagon 34" barrel. Long-range tang sight with windage adjustment, and windage globe front sight. Double set triggers.

Hepburn Match Grade B in .32-40 B&M (.32-40 Ballard & Marlin) with nickeled receiver, Farrow buttplate, deluxe wood, double set triggers, and extremely rare 34" half octagon barrel. I think this is the only Match B known with a 34" barrel. Mid-range tang sight, and windage globe front sight.

Rolling Blocks.

Top an original Creedmoor Long-Range rifle with 34" full round barrel in .44-77SBN. One of three built with full round barrels, and a prototype built a full year before the Creedmoor was offered in 1874 catalogs. Long range tang sight, and heel sight base. Windage globe with spirit level front globe sight. Pistol grip checkered stocks.

Middle a Mid-Range rifle in .40-65 with 32" #4 weight heavy round barrel. Straight grip stocks, with ebony grip adapter. Skeletonized buttplate, and deluxe wood. Long range vernier tang sight with globe front sight.

Another Mid-Range rifle in .40-50SS with a heavy 4.5 weight full octagon barrel. Deluxe pistol grip checkered stocks. Long-Range tang sight, and windage globe front sight with spirit level.
    Last edited by marlinman93; 11-27-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice, Vall! I guess we’ll have to change your screen name to “Remington Guy”.

Seriously, you never cease to amaze me with the depth and breadth of your collecting interests. I always enjoy your posts and our discussions they evolve into. The period spotting scope was definitely the cherry on top of your cake!

Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving to kick off the Holiday season. Have a great one!

Your friend the Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

very nice, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Very nice, Vall! I guess we’ll have to change your screen name to “Remington Guy”.

Seriously, you never cease to amaze me with the depth and breadth of your collecting interests. I always enjoy your posts and our discussions they evolve into. The period spotting scope was definitely the cherry on top of your cake!

Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving to kick off the Holiday season. Have a great one!

Your friend the Frog
    My collecting interests are actually pretty narrow Charlie. My Marlin Ballard rifles, and my Remington single shot rifles are pretty much it for firearms collecting. I do collect old loading tools, especially Ideal tools, but also any old custom built loading tools like breech seaters, re-decappers, etc.
    There was an old Ideal gang mold for .38 Long heeled bullets at the show Sunday, and in wonderful condition! I wanted it pretty badly, as I've never seen one. But the price tag of $450 put me off pretty quickly. I think it cast 8-10 bullets at a time, and I;d never use it, just wanted it because I've never known of them before.

Boolit Master
    Nice! Very nice indeed!!!
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

"Nice! Very nice indeed!!!"

"very nice, thanks for posting"

Thanks guys!

Boolit Master

Wow - great collection. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Wow - great collection. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Steve!

Boolit Master

Those are very nice. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Ditto! I am a big fan of the Hepburns.

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Thanks!
    I like both the Hepburns and Rolling Block Sporting Rifles. Of course in most cases the Hepburns seem to get more collector interest and higher values. But in civilian sporting models the Rolling Blocks are about as hard to find on the #1 receiver as a Hepburn.
    What I'm missing still, and are almost impossible to locate is a #1 Rolling Block in a schuetzen model! I'm almost to the point I may end up building one up, as I've only seen them in pictures, and never an original in person.