RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Marinade and version recipes?

Boolit Mold

Marinade and version recipes?

Well got a buck on Thanksgiving, didn't get to hunt much because of work and it was nice the Temps went above freezing in MI.

First time processing the deer myself, growing up always took it to get done but the place I used stopped and prices are now like 75 on up.

Last year I got 3 and took it to a friend of my mom's and she helped me.

This year tried to remember and do it myself. Got a few of the prime steaks out but then the rest I kinda got lost and ended up with just big chunks of meat I cut into pieces . So sadly might have missed out on some good cuts and they are now mixed.

Ground up some for burger and any of the bigger chunks that looked good I figured mark as roast for slow cooking or made into chunks .

Sadly after doing more research i guess the consensus is to hang and age them which I did not so I guess I missed out on better taste. Also I wasted some meat it seams off the neck and apparently people cut the ribs into pieces to cook and keep some cuts on the bone, where I took all the meat off the bone. Oops.

Anyway what are some recipes and marinades to slow cook the roasts or little chunks to stir fry?

In the past I only dealt with steaks which I just seasoned, seared and ate medium done or burger which I mixed with hamburger in pastas.

Since burger is a lot of work with old hand grinder I only ground up the really small stringy meats or thin cuts etc and the rest I left as roast or cut into small pieces.So not so sure how to use them.

Boolit Master
    I put the big chunks in the slow cooker with a bottle or two of Italian salad dressing over and cook for the day.

Boolit Mold
    Oh that sounds easy, I like easy.
    In the past for beef I tried a few that involved apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and variations like that as marinade but they didn't seem worth the effort.

I have seen some really complex ones that involve marinade, then seasoning and spices with fruits and or nuts put inside and then put in oven. But I kinda killed any chances of fancy ones like that since I cut the roasts into smaller pieces. Wish I knew how to process deer optimally and have it sorted so I knew better what meat pieces to cook which way .

Do you marinade the meat first to let it soak up the marinade and get tender before throwing into the pot?

Boolit Master

I do not hang or age deer anymore. You must cut off the dried "skin" when processing.

What I do now is debone and place on ice in the ice chest with the drain open.After 3 to 5 days, the blood has leached out of the meat and it is more of a pink color than red. It also is much more tender. I have had some mature bucks that should be tough that were as tender as a yearling when aged for 5 days on ice.

In my experience, that is the way to go and have never been disappointed in the last 15 years with wet aging on ice.

As far as processing, I separate out the muscle groups and package them separately. I do not slice to cook until it is thawed. I like some thin, some thick, and some whole as a roast depending on the meal planned.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 11-28-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Cut some of the larger pieces into steaks. Bet you won't know the difference.

Use the pieces in shish kakobs, stews or soups. I use hoesen sauce (sp) to marinade the bobs, I add pineapple, green pepper and onion on skewers and grill like steak.

We even marinade the meat with the hoesen sauce then vac pack and freeze for a later meal.

Grill or Traeger the roasts at 300° till center is 140° for medium rare or 150° for medium.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollins View Post
    Oh that sounds easy, I like easy.
    In the past for beef I tried a few that involved apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and variations like that as marinade but they didn't seem worth the effort.

I have seen some really complex ones that involve marinade, then seasoning and spices with fruits and or nuts put inside and then put in oven. But I kinda killed any chances of fancy ones like that since I cut the roasts into smaller pieces. Wish I knew how to process deer optimally and have it sorted so I knew better what meat pieces to cook which way .

Do you marinade the meat first to let it soak up the marinade and get tender before throwing into the pot?
    I just throw it all in the pot and turn on and walk away till suppertime. I have a recipe for venison soup, uses all the bits and pieces, taste just like combles vegetable soup, if you have an interest I will look it up, PM me ? It is an easy one just put all stuff in pot and walk away, I use it for one on the dishes at deer camp, sits on the wood stove from Friday night till supper Saturday night.

Moderator Emeritus

+ 1 for Italian dressing. For a home made solution, get an injection needle and mix equal parts garlic POWDER, johnny's seasoning salt and lemon pepper in a cup. Add 3 times the amount in water. Get your needle and put it inside the roast until it swells. Do at least 4 injections in different places.Sear it and slow cook it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Aging is just an excuse for people who want to take a nap, not that I've never done it. Some people like ribs. I don't. I don't use a saw ever for processing. I want meat, I don't eat bones. One thing I now take that not everyone does in the tongue. That is a great chunk of meat, every bit as good as backstrap.

I'm not a big roast guy. Instead I normally like to turn them into shredded meat. I like basic seasonings in a crock pot. Minimal salt, generous black pepper, and a bunch of chopped garlic is always in there. Adding anything more is really hard to gauge the end flavor. Instead I prefer to add seasonings after it is well cooked and shredded. From there I often go with BBQ sandwiches. I don't do it often, but one of my favorites is to make enchiladas. I don't have a recipe to share. I think marinating is not the best way to go if you are going with a crock pot. Instead if you want a certain flavor such as teriyaki, I would add that to the crock pot while cooking.