Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pit bull mix

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Hard to go wrong with a Lab IMO. They are in many respects the total opposite of a Pit Bull.

Friendly, good with kids/family, dedicated and totally sane all the time with a need to please.
    What?

"Friendly, good with kids/family, dedicated and totally sane all the time with a need to please" perfectly describes every pit bull our family has had. And, pit bulls are not hyper.

A pit bull is a house dog. They need to be raised from pups as one of the family. They can be raised with children, cats and other dogs. They need to be introduced to other dogs from a young age, and while they are growing up.

Because they form very stong social bonds, they become psychotic when left alone. Keeping a pit bull locked up in the back yard on it's own, is a recipe for disaster.

Always get a puppy, and always inspect the breeding pair first hand for temperment. The mother must not be aggressive when you try to handle her pups. The father must be friendly to you as a stranger.

Avoid pit bull crosses. A cross tends to bring out the worst characteristics.

Staffies have exactly the same temperment and characteristics, just a smaller package.

Mine lived 16 years before he had to be put down.

My daughter had a pit, Razor was the perfect gentleman, I think he was called a King pit. 120 LBS. He was tied to a tree when she took him in.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    I'm not dumping on pit bulls - if you own one and find them to be great dogs, well that's cool. I do not want to be in the same room with a full bred pit bull. As I've said a few times, my last dog, 95 lbs, was attacked by four different pit bulls over a year and a half. For no reason. He was leashed. The worse time, that friggin' pit bull also bit me. The owner, a young girl, tried to restrain her dog and got a busted finger. The pit bull lost an eye. If my dog had not been big and tough, he'd be dead. Then the owner left without swapping info. It cost me, between the vet and my hospital bill, over $700. I had a S&W in my coat and if not for the young girl, I would have shot that friggin' thing. To this day, I wished I had. The other three times, my dog actually beat the crap out of the dogs.
    Yeah, still makes me mad. But, now, I'm ready to get a dog that might have some pit bull in it, like the lab in the pic I posted. He seems sweet and nice and trainable.

Boolit Master

Speaking of bad dogs, the worst I have ever seen are lap dogs owned by old people that allow the dog to be boss. A vet once told me that the little dogs are what he needed to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    .. my last dog, 95 lbs, was attacked by four different pit bulls over a year and a half. For no reason. He was leashed. .
    If your dog is leashed, and an unleashed dog comes over to your leashed dog to start a fight, shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    My advice, whatever the breed: socialize them with humans AND other dogs from the very start when they are very young and throughout their early life. If you don't, the odds of having problems are much higher no matter what the breed is. jd
    This is true if you a have a puppy you need to make plans to socialize them with people and other types of pets. Isolating a puppy at a certain age is part of the training for a fighting dog. I think I learned that when that pro football player was caught with dog troubles.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Spay/neuter will reduce aggression.
    I helped raise a pure pit & a pit/boxer mix. The pit/boxer was well behaved. Anything with pit in it is going to require a lot of exercise.
    Just don’t mix pot with anything that get nervous, or is known for nipping. A nervous dog will bite. A cranky dog in heat will bite. A dog that is high on physical affection is less likely to bite. A dog low on exercise might get over-excited and bite.
    I love pit bulls, but I would not be opposed to requiring a person to be trained and licensed for ownership.

Boolit Master
    American bully in the smaller sizes is a cross of american pitbull terrier and english bulldog and make good house dogs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Champion_Charlie_Muscles_(2)amBully.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	307497

Other lower energy bully dogs are the leavitt-old english bulldogge

Name:	maxresdefault  leavitt.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	307498

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Hard to go wrong with a Lab IMO. They are in many respects the total opposite of a Pit Bull.

Friendly, good with kids/family, dedicated and totally sane all the time with a need to please.
    Sometimes a pit was chosen as a dog companion for a child.
    Petey of the little rascals

Name:	petey-and-the-little-rascals.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	307500

Boolit Master
    If...now, think about it...if your dog had been attacked four (4) times in a year and a half, by a particular breed, let's call it, I don't know...pit bull, for absolutely no known reason, and one of those attacks included me getting bit and costing me $700, might you form a negative opinion about that particular breed?
    Yeah, Petey was a sweet doggy, but he did not attack my dog.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    If...now, think about it...if your dog had been attacked four (4) times in a year and a half, by a particular breed, let's call it, I don't know...pit bull, for absolutely no known reason, and one of those attacks included me getting bit and costing me $700, might you form a negative opinion about that particular breed?
    Yeah, Petey was a sweet doggy, but he did not attack my dog.
    A neighbor shot a pit bull that attacked his dog. Actually owners sicced on it on his older disable rotty-GSD. The sheriff deputy was ok with the shooting. The punks that owned the dead pit were evicted from that house. The whole neighborhood wanted them gone.

Boolit Master
    Truthfully, I always gave pit bulls the benefit of the doubt. It was how they were raised, treated, etc. I liked the way they look, I liked their temperament. But, like other full blooded breeds, breeding has gone haywire in some of them. When I was young, there were plenty of St Bernards around. Then, from what I heard, they were bred too closely and became violent. I'm starting to see more of them but they disappeared for a long time, around here anyways. My neighbor's friend had a pit bull for 8 years. Great dog, One day, the owner was sitting outside and the dog walked by and bit his nose off. True story.
    I still blame morons for breeding them that way. Not the dog's fault, but I just don't trust them. And I had a registered wolf hybrid for 18 yrs.
    So, now, in looking for a dog, I'm wondering how much pit bull is OK. I don't think there's an answer.

Boolit Master
    My pit/lab is very loving, and too big to let her have her way. And I did get her at 1 year, a pet shelter. The way she looked, needing attention, I had to take her. She will not sit still, paws the ground while sitting, anxious to the extreme. I probably spoiled her, but she protects my home and wife, a man would have to shoot her to stop her from being attacked when she wants to. That may be bad, but bad folks living around me keep their distance and noone knows I pack yet, lol.
    Last edited by daengmei; 12-02-2022 at 01:46 AM.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

We had a Valley Bulldog which is a bulldog/boxer mix. Nicest dog ever. She thought everyone was her friend but was odd in one aspect. If you were laying on the ground like under a car she would come over, sniff at you then sit down and guard you. Loved kids and would sit there guarding them. One time someone she didn't know came near wife's granddaughter and she growled so deep that guy gave a wide berth. I would have no problem getting another one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Last Thursday I was going to the shelter to get that 11 month old Lab/pit mix but I felt like crap so I decided to wait. That night around midnight I told my wife that I thought I was dying. Went to the ER and I was almost right. I was having a bad heart attack. Tests, transported to the big hospital, more tests, nitro, pills, and a stent the next day. 98% blockage.
    Four days later and I'm finally home. I don't think I was meant to get that dog, that day.
    Don't wait. Any doubt - did I eat too much? Get checked.

Boolit Master
    Doggy search update:
    I found a dog in a shelter that is perfect. He's an Anatolian Shepherd - Golden Retriever mix. 3 yrs old, 60 lbs. He was a stray from Lockhart, TX, and just arrived in NH on Dec. 1st. Being a stray, he's a rascal, but he'll come around.
    He loves the snow (so far). I don't trust him off leash yet.
    We kept his name - George.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails George 4.jpg  
    Last edited by Battis; 12-13-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12