RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit bull mix

Boolit Master

Pit bull mix

I'm still looking for a dog. The black shepherd that I visited four or five times is not a good fit.
    Now, I had four real bad experiences with pit bulls with my last dog - they attacked him (he was 95 lbs) for no friggin' reason. I don't trust pure pit bulls. I know many dog owners love them, and that's fine. Any dog can turn bad.
    What about a dog that has some pit bull? I'm looking at a Black Lab that has that pit bull face, but the rest is black lab. I never had problems with a dog with some pit bull.
    Any ideas? He's a great dog.

Boolit Master
    I'll never again take in a grown dog. next dog will be a puppy. Rufus is a good dog. I found him out in the woods, skin and bone he hadn't eaten in quite a while. I spent countless hours trying to teach an old dog some new tricks. he will go for walks with me, he scouts up on ahead, and he dont even flinch when I'm shooting and he comes when I call him. but that's it. cant even get him to fetch and still cant get him to stop jumping up on me or anyone I let near him. and just cant get him to stop chewing things up no matter how many bones or treats or whatever I give him. he chewed half his dog house apart. yeah, next dog will be a just finished weaning puppy that can be trained properly.

Boolit Master
    I know others options are different then mine on the subject , but I don't deal with pit dogs at all !

Boolit Master

Pit bulls are great dogs. I don't know what some people do to them, but we've had three pure bred and a mix (bulldog) and they have been the best dogs ever. All our dogs have been family pets that live inside the house with us, are properly socialized, are great with kids and love people. We acquired them as puppies.

[QUOTE=Battis;5492843]I'm still looking for a dog. The black shepherd that I visited four or five times is not a good fit.
    Now, I had four real bad experiences with pit bulls with my last dog - they attacked him (he was 95 lbs) for no friggin' reason. I don't trust pure pit bulls. I know many dog owners love them, and that's fine. Any dog can turn bad.
    What about a dog that has some pit bull? I'm looking at a Black Lab that has that pit bull face, but the rest is black lab. I never had problems with a dog with some pit bull.

I had a dog (black lab..pit) great dog! unless you had black shiny shoes, Mail man, meter reader....She was a biter. Good with family.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    This dog is 11 months old and very submissive, friendly, listens well (damn, sounds like a perfect wife). He's black lab all the way except for those possibly pit bull eyes. I had a yellow lab once that had what we thought was a pit bull face but come to find out she was a pure English lab. They have that broad, short snout but she was all Lab.
    The shelter had a yellow lab/shepherd mix last week, about 75 lbs. Perfect dog, very friendly, smart, but we couldn't take her that day, and she was adopted the first thing the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    but we couldn't take her that day, and she was adopted the first thing the next day.
    If you see a good deal-- grab it or it might be gone when you come back.

Years ago, late in the afternoon, I was at a Sears surplus store and saw a 110V air compressor I wanted.
    I was there with the money the next day when they opened and grabbed it. As I was in line-- maybe 2 minutes later,
    a couple guys walked past, looked at where it had been and one said, "Dang..... it's gone".

One night, Mrs. Winger found a puppy on line at a rather distant SPCA shelter, and just didn't think she could live without it.
    We got there before it opened, and when it did, she went in got it.
    As we were filling out the paperwork, a lady came in with her kid-- and had to explain that 'her' puppy was already adopted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newman puppy.jpg  
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My advice, whatever the breed: socialize them with humans AND other dogs from the very start when they are very young and throughout their early life. If you don't, the odds of having problems are much higher no matter what the breed is. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Best dog I ever had was a rescue dog, boxer pit bull mix, more boxer than pit. I got her when she was 1.5 years old, Rosie was a sweet heart.

Boolit Master
    No way we could have taken that yellow lab the day we met her. That would have meant bringing the dog to a Thanksgiving family gathering or leaving her completely alone at home immediately. Just wasn't meant to be.
    I never had a problem with pit bulls, until I did. Four bad experiences.
    Hearing some of the abusive stories of the dogs in the shelter, and what people did to them before they got to the shelter, makes me proud to be a human.

Boolit Buddy
    we have always had dogs, what we would do is once we wanted another dog, we would get a puppy and it would grow with the older dog no problem. we had a pit that was about 3 years old (never a problem with people or animals), and we ended up with 2 more pits, as puppys. Once one of the puppy got to about a year old the fight was on. The older pit went to my daughter. We kept the younger two. I dont want to admit it but the one of the pits we kept hates all other animals. He is kept in a fenced yard and has a shock collar because given the chance he will run out the garage door and find a fight. His good side is he wants nothing more than to snuggle up to you. None of these pits are pure bread they all a back yard breeders version of. The two puppies I got were from a guy who told me he was working on breeding hog dogs and these pups did not have the traits he was looking for. I often wonder how much is in genetics and how much trained.

Boolit Master
    I got a pit/lab mix from a rescue, about 6 months old, spayed. She is so loving, but likes to play rough. At a little over 1 yo I got a male beagle pup, she at first hated him, but several weeks and she loved him and they constantly play together, he wants it, she doesn't, lol. They continually now at 4 ys amaze me with their loving behavior. Yes, I keep them indoors. My previous other two got out chasing ground hogs and died together on a near highway. That was tough.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Pit bull mix

Lab pits are about the greatest dogs ever. Including the one we have, I’ve known of 2 others that friends have had. We have a 9 year old female named Lucy. Seems like all lab pits look the same ( usually black and white) and all of the same good temperament. You get the best genes from the pit bull and lab. Only downside is sometimes in her younger days she would play a little rough but, taught the lab gunner how to fight/play like a pit. Gunner thought she was mom when first got him at 9 weeks 8 yrs ago

I’ve never had an issue with strange dogs. She will bark when strangers or strange cars pull in. However, once she sees that they are not an issue she basically forgets about them.
    Lucy on the left

She also lives with a black lab named gunner, a 8 month old orange cat and my 5 year old daughter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 11-27-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    The dog I'm thinking about looks alot like Lucy in the last pic you posted: the shape of his face, the ears, etc. But, what about those eyes? Pit Bull eyes?

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181223_142713.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	307345
    1 yo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_165802(1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	307346
    This spring.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    We took in a pit bull terrier/lab mix and never had problems. Sadly Bob had to be put to sleep. Cancer and he started loosing control of his back legs. Went without a dog for over 3 years. Now have a pit bull/lab mix puppy. If you treat them right and show them love and affection I don't see any problems. it's the people who beat these dogs to make them mean and that causes problems. Frank

Pit bull mix

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    The dog I'm thinking about looks alot like Lucy in the last pic you posted: the shape of his face, the ears, etc. But, what about those eyes? Pit Bull eyes?
    Yeah those look like the same eyes Lucy has

Oh I forgot to mention the short pit hair is a nice benefit. Gunner the lab sheds like crazy and the black hair really shows up on everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to go wrong with a Lab IMO. They are in many respects the total opposite of a Pit Bull.

Friendly, good with kids/family, dedicated and totally sane all the time with a need to please.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Hard to go wrong with a Lab IMO.
    I couldn't agree more. But, what about a Lab with some pit bull?
    I'm going back to see the dog that I mentioned - mostly Lab, maybe some pit bull. I am definitely leaning towards taking him home, based on his personality, energy, size, temperament, age (11 months), and the posts here about Lab/pit bull mixes presenting no problems. And as far as pit bulls go - I'm guessing that 98 percent of them are perfectly fne, but I did have a run-in with four bad ones, and that's stuck in my brain.

Boolit Master
    He looks like a rascal, I would have picked that dog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast