RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contender barrel problem....

Boolit Master

Contender barrel problem....

I have an early 5 digit serial contender that came with a 44 magnum hotshot barrel. The hotshot octagon barrel works fine, opening and closing easily.

I just picked up a super 14 in 7tcu that will not open on the frame without removing the hinge pinand coercing with much frustration and cussing.

The 44 mag barrel has a one piece bolt and the 7tcu has a 2 piece locking bolt/lug. I've been looking all over and can't seem to find a solution.

Multiple sites say to "stone" the locking bolts/ lugs, however the older posts no longer have working pictures. It also appears like there are no longer any one piece locking bolts/lugs to be bought to switch out with the two piece that isn't working on this frame.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also not sure what "stone" to use or where to apply?
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

The common solution seems the be to coat the undersize of the 2 piece locking bolt halves with felt tip pen and determine which half is making the most contact with the "shelf" in the frame and carefully stone that half until the problem is solved. I described this fix to a friend not long ago and it worked like a charm. Do NOT stone the top surface of the bolt halves and change those angles.

Boolit Master
    What type of stone do you use?

And if I read that right, you only work on the bottom of the lugs/bolts?
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I have had Few issues with the 2 piece lock... usually it is the 1 piece that gave problems..Back in the good old days, I simply contacted TC and they shipped a locking lug..(2 piece) Free.
    I have changed locks numerous times for various reasons, only a Couple of Times for Hard Unlock..
    The Dogbones may be the Problem for you...as that is what the Cam on the triggerguard pushes on to Unlock... check condition... these may need replaced...certainly if Undersized!!
    Oh... Ensure that the Trigger Guard is able to travel the Full length of the "grooves" in the frame... sometimes something...like grips, can limit travel..

I have yet to need to Stone..vs replace.

Yes. Stone the underside only that shows the most contact. Do you have a hard arkansas stone you sharpen your knives with? 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of glass may work. Take it slow!

Boolit Master
    I don't have a arkansas stone. Usually just use one of the drag thru sharpeners that came with a fillet knife or something at some point. I will have to see about picking one up.
    Just switched to working overnights so hours are all backwards. Hoping to get this contender sorted out sooner rather than later, one good thing about working nights now is it will open up much more time for things like this and range time!

Boolit Master

Gunsmith time IMHO unless you ruin it before.

Boolit Master
    And the saga continues.

Picked up a stone this afternoon, seems too big to be able to use for this purpose once I got the two piece bolt out. So I got to thinking which can get me into trouble...

So I don't get confused I am going to call the original 44 hotshot barrel "barrel a" and the new to me super 14 7tcu "barrel b". Anyways, I get the bolts (2 piece), dog bone roller, spring, and pin out of barrel b and have the brilliant idea to just swap everything with barrel a since that opens and closes fine on my frame. We'll that didn't work. Barrel B with all of barrel a parts still locks on the frame. Barrel a with all of barrel b parts almost locks on frame, then decides it will just be extremely hard opening. So barrel a went from working perfectly to barely working and barrel b remains unworking at this point.

I don't think it matters but barrel a uses a set screw to hold the spring and parts in place under pressure, and barrel b uses a roll pin.

I absolutely have to be missing something.

Sorry, I've been hunting these last few days and haven't kept up with this. I'll be talking to my friend who had the same problem as you and I'll be talking to him today. Hopefully I'll be able to get back sooner than later.

Without pictures my guess is he has non updated frame. Two piece lugs were used on updated frames that allowed one lug to move slightly before the other. With his frame they both are trying to move at same time. Learned all this the hard way (broke a couple frames). I think SSK will do a update. I strongly recommend if they will that you consider. No parts are available for the older frames at all.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    Without pictures my guess is he has non updated frame. Two piece lugs were used on updated frames that allowed one lug to move slightly before the other. With his frame they both are trying to move at same time. Learned all this the hard way (broke a couple frames). I think SSK will do a update. I strongly recommend if they will that you consider. No parts are available for the older frames at all.
    Yet... I have more than One old low serial number...unmodified frames.. some barrels, work just fine with dual lugs...some work best with the old single lug!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I have had Few issues with the 2 piece lock... usually it is the 1 piece that gave problems..Back in the good old days, I simply contacted TC and they shipped a locking lug..(2 piece) Free.
    I have changed locks numerous times for various reasons, only a Couple of Times for Hard Unlock..
    The Dogbones may be the Problem for you...as that is what the Cam on the triggerguard pushes on to Unlock... check condition... these may need replaced...certainly if Undersized!!
    Oh... Ensure that the Trigger Guard is able to travel the Full length of the "grooves" in the frame... sometimes something...like grips, can limit travel..

I have yet to need to Stone..vs replace.
    Having more than one set of lugs and dog bones (bar bell) gets me where I need to Be..
    One other check tho...Headspace.. too tight can be really bad...
    Always troubleshoot Barrel Fit without Grips nor Forend!!!
    Good Luck...and Patience!!!

@Bored1
    Edit; has this barrel been tried on another frame?? Apologies, if this has been addressed...
    Last edited by racepres; 12-11-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Long ago I bought a square ceramic stone from Brownells for just such a project. A little oil and a few careful passes and it was done. I see that stone/file in the box and smile as it was my first Brownells purchase.

Boolit Master
    I have not had an opportunity to try the barrel on another frame since I only have the one. It is an unmodified original not easy open. I've tried the new bolts from ssk with the roller dog bone part integrated into the bolts and that's a no go. I managed to get ahold of 2 new sets of bolts from TC however they look basically the same as the ssk ones except they are black and not silver. I've tried stoning the locks that were in the barrel but it doesn't appear to be making any difference at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem, compare the barrel lug dimensions. The newer barrel lugs are thicker(not locking lugs)and bind on the bottom.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    I have not had an opportunity to try the barrel on another frame since I only have the one. It is an unmodified original not easy open. I've tried the new bolts from ssk with the roller dog bone part integrated into the bolts and that's a no go. I managed to get ahold of 2 new sets of bolts from TC however they look basically the same as the ssk ones except they are black and not silver. I've tried stoning the locks that were in the barrel but it doesn't appear to be making any difference at all.
    Look again, at the Dog bones Diameter, and the "Cams" on the trigger guard that unlatch by purchasing against the Dog bone..
    Simple mechanics make this work...
    You are fitting and trying this without grips nor forend...Right??
    I have 2 early frames that fit all of my barrels, not that many but some!!

Sure wish this barrel was test fitted on a different frame

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by screwcutter View Post
    I had the same problem, compare the barrel lug dimensions. The newer barrel lugs are thicker(not locking lugs)and bind on the bottom.
    Hmmm, Never even considered that part of the equation!!
    Interesting... you think the lug is too fat to fit from Locking lugs to "table" ???

Boolit Buddy
    You sure it's not a non easy open frame? The longer barrel and added weight will be even harder to open I would think. And also the Lug or the locking bolts.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82C8F48A-E7AD-4F2D-8D1C-CF21A4C5DF41.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	308056
    My 44 mag hotshot on bottom, new barrel on top. .100” lug difference.

Boolit Master
    I am trying to get everything to work without a forend and no grip installed. It's definitely not an easy open frame, the pivot point is in front of the trigger guard.

Screwcutter- wider from left to right? Of top of the barrel to bottom of lug? Were you able to get it working or just using a different framework for that barrel?

Also struck out with Bellm TC- he said he doesn't advise spending money or time on it and to try and track down a g2 frame.

SSK said "there's not much to be done with the originals".

Boolit Buddy
    Yes taller as in top to bottom, the trigger guard release hits the lug and doesn’t release the locking bolts. I ground clearance on the trigger guard, no more than it took it probably could be taken off the lug.
    If this is your trouble you should be able to see it with your barrels side by side. Sorry my photo isn’t that great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast