MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading challenge

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Thank you, I really appreciate it when someone can back up their claim with a source.
    With any luck, you may find someone with all the old Buckskin Reports. I gave all mine away to club members a couple years ago.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Again interesting.

I know that using a wad or multiple loads that cause a barrel obstruction will damage barrels. Original question was meant to ask if just an air gap without wads of any kind have caused hate and discontent. Such as a charge of powder down the barrel and a patched ball not seated completely on the charge situation ... or like has been noted that the "gallery" loads such as a collar button over 20 grains powder which would leave a substantial gap between powder and ball.

I doubt the ODG's that roamed the rocky mountains in search of beaver took time throughout their treks to insure the ball kept tight against the powder ... then again maybe they did.

This is my question and wonderment. I am reluctant to believe that either the 45-70 practice loads have not been handed down correctly or the "GAP" has been misunderstood and the issues all come from a wad of some kind in the mix that caused a barrel obstruction situation.

Interesting conversation. Thanks to all who have posted and the invitation stands to contribute your thoughts and experience.

Boolit Buddy
    1968, in college, a friend double loaded a Navy Arms 45 caliber flintlock Kentucky style pistol. Remarkable muzzle blast, recoil that was remarkable, as well. No harm, no foul. Mid 1980's, another friend left his ram rod in the barrel of a 45 flintlock rifle. Cut the 25 yard target in half, horizontally. Recoil turned him 90 degrees. No harm, no foul. Another friend, of vast bpcr experience, uses a cork wad when called for. Wad blows to smithereens. He hasn't had a problem.

Boolit Master
    This isn't totally related to what was asked about in the post.
    I have Proof Tested many barrels.
    I progressively increase the load to reach my Max load.
    On several I loaded them with a double max load for that gun as recommended by the manufacture.
    The heaviest load has been a .54 barrel
    With double powder load at 220 gr. or Double projectile at over max load.
    I never Proofed the barrels when mounting it in the gunstock.
    I built a wooden stand to hold the barrel and discharge it.
    Two of the barrels I proofed are now Armoredman rifles that I built.
    Armoredman watched me Proof one of those two barrels.

Boolit Master

interesting stuff --- I pulled down a bunch of Dominion brand 43 Mauser rounds, later CIL. I shot some and thy were all over the place so I pulled the rest, maybe 60 rounds for the brass. What I found was that they were loaded were some black powder, maybe 20 grn, maybe 50. The case was otherwise filled with newspaper or paper wads either under the bullet over just over the primer. You could hear rattling if you shook the rounds. They produced that ammo for a couple decades I think. I have never heard of anyone ever ringing a 43 Mauser. There must have been 1,000's of that ammo shot up without any thought. So, why no bulge? was it just so lose and under powered to cause damage? very curious..

Yep this is the puzzle for me too. It is why I have doubts about air gaps between powder n bullet. Be nice to narrow down exactly what causes injury to our firearms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12