Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oven Question?

Boolit Master
    I like to brag about small groups

I do have one of the larger ovens and it is pretty nice. FWIW, lead has a very low conductivity so it takes a while for the whole bullet to reach temp. The good part is, for powder coating, only the surface temp of the bullet matters. A more consistent temp in the oven is more important, which is why I got the convection oven.

But, I am not a 'batch' person. All of my bullets are stood on their bases and separated on the baking sheet with good air space around each one. If you do baskets of bullets you need to monitor the temp of the center of the basket of bullets. A thermocouple is needed for this. A convection oven might help getting the batch up to temp faster.

Do you 'need' a convection oven? No. I baked thousands of bullets with my cheap toaster oven and they did just as good as the ones from my convection oven.

The REALLY important part is the temp in the oven. The thermostats on the ovens are notorious for being wrong. My expensive digital oven is off quite a bit. I bake at an indicated 370F. The measured temp inside the oven is 400F. My older, cheap, well used, not digital oven was exactly correct. Set the dial at 400F and the measured temp was 400F. And, as I stated above, baskets of bullets need temperature measurement at the center of the batch.

I bought a conv pizza oven from wally on sale, $50. With 2 racks, i can do 600/9mm. It holds temp decent but the built in thermo is off by 50drg.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I just use a free curb find that my grandson and I found. Smokes powder. Bullets and fishing jigs are coming out perfect.

I just use a hard top hot plate. Old deep metal cake pan for cover. Oven is gathering dust. Same hot plate used for pre-heating mold. And Yoshi or equal copper baking sheet.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for the advice.

I'm not too rich so I'll be looking for cheap as possible. After the Holidays I'll hit the Goodwill and Thrift stores and find me a convection oven and buy a IR Thermometer off Amazon. Then get some Smoke's powder and see how it goes. I need to cast up some 314299's and some Lee 312-165-2R's but it's been cold and wet here lately so since I cast outdoors I may have to use my Lee 309-200's and 312-155-2R's of which I have several hundred each.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Simple oven works fine. If you are buying from a thrift store the simpler the better. Less to go wrong with it.

Boolit Bub
    Powered Covered Bullets are NOT suitable for muzzle rifle, percussions. Exit were if the EMMETTs as employed.

Mark

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    Some guys brag about spending lots of money and their large things.
    Lol!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by granville_it View Post
    Exit were if the EMMETTs as employed.

Mark
    Translate please?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by granville_it View Post
    Powered Covered Bullets are NOT suitable for muzzle rifle, percussions. Exit were if the EMMETTs as employed.

Mark
    Not quite sure what you mean, but, you can use PC bullets in a muzzle loader. Same idea as using paper patched.

Use soft lead for the bullets. Size to just at bore dia. Bullets will be seat with the weight of the rod. Use 'healthy' load of powder, card and/or lubed felt wads recommended. On firing the charge will upset the bullet into the grooves and it will travel nicely through the bore.

Vendor Sponsor

I shoot exclusively PC's bullets in my CVA Optima 50 cal rifle. Very very accurately.
    Kill at least 2 deer a year with.
    been doing so fore about 8 years now
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12