WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oven Question?

Boolit Buddy

Oven Question?

I'm going to buy an oven. should I look for a convection oven or does it make any difference? I'll be looking in my used stores first for bargains so may not have a choice.

I don't believe a convection oven is absolutely needed, I just got a toaster oven from the goodwill for about $9 and it works fine.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

1. You'll need a Digital thermometer to calibrate the actual oven temp vs what the dial says
    (my suggestion is not to bother with cheap dial thermometers)

2. Convection (circulating air) -- Yes

3. All digital/solid state (as opposed to conventional dials) if you can find one used.
    (Once calibrated, they hold a given temp well. Conventionals don't.)
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4946515

Boolit Master
    I just bought a new oven, old one gave up the sperit, both convection and conventional, neither works well.

Supposedly the Taylor Precision Products FBA 5921n Thermometer Oven Guide goes well with keeping eye on temps for powder coating.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I am relatively new to pc. Lucked into a 'turbo' (convection) toaster oven at Goodwill. I have an oven thermometer to maintain 400 degrees. I have been very happy with my results. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

If it's for powder coating I'd say no. I got the cheapest one on the shelf at WalMart. Set the temp with an oven thermometer, off over 25 degrees, and it works fine.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I can only say what works well for me, but I have a very cheap very plain toaster oven that has a 30 minute timer. I prepare the bullets and put them in and turn the timer all the way to 30 and just leave them alone. They turn out fine every time. I did have to use a digital thermometer to find out what temperature setting to use.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I got one at Costco. I turn it on, with a thermometer inside, and adjust the temperature setting until it gets to what I want. I’m a buy once, cry once kinda guy.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I’ve used plain ole conventional that SWOMBO thru out, used it for several years. Then she chunked a convection so I’ve been using it for a while. Experimenting with PID controls from my pot PID. Works either way very well. Cant really tell any differences. Just need to follow instructions from powder producers as how much to cook.

I also drill a hole in boolit and insert thermocouple, tap down with hammer, I intend to bake and monitor the internal temperature, to be sure it gets to 400’ works extremely well and will be cured positively.

Not at all necessary but fun hobby.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    So Temp gauges? I get the digital/analog bias toward digital, I spent many years in electronic test equipment field. I just got on Amazon to check prices and found several types. The probe, (Meat Thermometer) types and the noncontact IR types, and the blue tooth remote reading types are all in the $12-50 ranges. I don't have a smart phone so the bluetooths are out for me.
    I'm leaning to the IR types so I can use it to measure my casting pot and mold temps too. They seem easier and ore flexible.
    https://www.amazon.com/Zr-Thermomete...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Like this one $16?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I am relatively new to pc. Lucked into a 'turbo' (convection) toaster oven at Goodwill. I have an oven thermometer to maintain 400 degrees. I have been very happy with my results. hc18flyer
    My cheapo Wally world toaster oven has a "turbo" on it too and I always wondered why they didn't label it as a Convection oven. At any rate I pulled it apart and wired the little fan into a separate extension cord so that my PID controller wasn't constantly turning the fan on and off with the heating element.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    The only real difference that I saw was the convection oven came up to temp faster. I got the convection oven cause it was larger and could hold two trays of bullets.

Boolit Mold
    I use a convection oven and have had no issues with it. Purchased new so price difference was negligible.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a very nice toaster oven/air fryer at the Good Will for $10. The toaster oven works like a charm. Anyone try "Air frying"?
    TacoFrank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    If it's for powder coating I'd say no. I got the cheapest one on the shelf at WalMart. Set the temp with an oven thermometer, off over 25 degrees, and it works fine.
    Exactly! I got a seven dollar toaster oven out of some thrift store, A thermometer out of Wally World and it works just fine!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I had a couple of $5 Goodwill ovens and dumped them prior to moving. I figured I could get replacements just as cheap. No luck. So I bought a couple of $19 Mainstay ovens at Walmart. They aren't as good in that there is no heat shield covering the upper element so the bullets see the hot element. I use another tray flipped upside down to shield the bullets. I'm sure I could bend some foil or thin metal to make a shield but the trays work just fine.

No need for convection, fancy PID's or any of that. Just find the dial setting for your desired temperature. If you need 400F and see that you need to set the dial to 380, just set it there and forget it. Just make sure your dial is set there each time you set the bullets in the oven. One time I accidentally moved the dial and ended up with a tray of slumped bullets.

Just picked up a nice $5 one maybe as a backup. Cleaned it although it seems pretty new. I just keep my other $5 oven on 400' and crank the timer for 10 or 15 minutes and all goes well. Getting a good first coat isnt happening after what I thought was a upgrade from HF red.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Convection ovens are great. They even the baking temp out. Remember we are baking tiny little pieces of metal with very little thermal mass, unlike a casserole or pizzas. The moving air tends to keep the temp even. I have been doing this since 2013 and have gone thru 5 "el cheapo" ovens from junk stores like many brag about on here. None gave good results, at least good enough for my standards. Then I invested around $100.00 in the LARGE top of the line Oster digital convection oven and all troubles went away. I can now concentrate on getting my ESPC boolits the way I want them without worrying about temps. And the LARGE oven holds over 500 boolits at the time using the extra shelves I made.

But do what works for your needs and pocketbook. It's a hobby...................and I spend LOTS of money on my many hobbies!

Good luck!

banger

Some guys brag about spending lots of money and their large things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast