RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap gun cheap results

Boolit Buddy

cheap gun cheap results

The other day Acadmy had an ad for Heritage rough rider for what ended up out the door for 133.68 and I got a 30 dollar rebate so 103.68 final cost. well I have never had a gun failure to fire like this one at first it only one out of 6, by the time I left I was getting 2 to 3 ftf. Seemed to good to be true I guess it was.

Boolit Buddy

Cabela's ad had the 22LR heritage for $69.99 after rebate GW

Boolit Grand Master
    There's a saying going around, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." I think we can say here "Pay cheap prices and get cheap guns." Ever since guns have been mass produced there have been guns built to a low price, but the cost of the gun to a large extent set the limit to its quality.

There was a popular term in my youth, we would call it a "Saturday Nite Special," or if it was even more sketchy a "Suicide Special." Derogatory yes, but probably accurate. Now I would just say, "It is what it is!"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I had one years ago with both the .22lr & .22wmr cylinder. It was a festering heap of lead shaving, misfiring, junk. A real smoldering turd. I traded it in on a Davis 9mm Derringer and felt I got away good. I see their quality has been consistent over the years.
    Deplorable infidel

I went down that road too, except mine fired every time- but some of every cylinder full keyholed the target-and not even close to POA.
    Enter Ruger Wrangler. Done!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’ve had one for about five years. I shoot 22 and22mag and I’ve never had a single problem! Not one!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Break it in, clean it, oil it. Keep playing with it. My guess is if you show it some love and patience by the time you get 250 rounds through it you may be pleasantly surprised.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Many years ago my son decided he wanted to buy his own pistol. Jennings .22. He paid less than $50 new.

That thing has only had a few FTF out of about 1000 rounds. Those few were from getting dirty. It would go about 100 rounds before it needed to be scrubbed. Not very accurate but it works. Surprised me. Still have it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I’ve had one for about five years. I shoot 22 and22mag and I’ve never had a single problem! Not one!
    Hoping that will be my story. I got the lr and mag version for $89.99 after rebate. Should be picking it up today along with a K31 Swiss and 6.5 Carcano. Had an itch....

Boolit Master
    "by the time you get 250 rounds through it you may be pleasantly surprised."

By the time you get 250 rounds to FIRE through that gun, you will have loaded it 750 times or more. That's 500 times of frustration.

I'm sorry,, but if I buy a product, and it fails to properly operate immediately as it should,, it's going back for a refund.

Try a different brand of 22 ammo and see if it still has the issue.

Boolit Master
    Pietta's "Frontier" model is another one to avoid.

Pull the cylinder, take a round and insert it into the barrel. If it goes in quite far or worse yet full length your barrel has issues. Mine had no such issues and shot well so I didn't have a problem like that but I did see it discussed on this forum more than once.

The only problems I had with mine were simply that I found the loading/unloading to be inconvenient/tedious and I just really didn't care for the fit/finish/function.

I bought a Ruger Single Six and that really ruined the Heritage for me. One pistol that I have no regrets about selling.

Boolit Master
    Bought a used Phoenix .22 several years ago. Had low expectations but it’s proved me wrong. The only cheap pistol I’ve owned that’s been reliable.

Boolit Master

The first pistol I bought was a Phoenix arms 22, $100 out the door. It has proved to be a reasonably accurate and reliable piece. I also bought a 5” Bbl for it. About 4 years ago I bought a Heritage arms rough rider with a 6.5” Bbl. It too exceeded my expectations for a $100 gun. Are these guns beautifully finished pieces to be passed down thru generations?, no. Are they functional yes. If it truly has issues return them for repair, both these manufacturers have good warranty, work with the manufacturer and I think you’ll get satisfaction. Good luck and good shooting. Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Usually I avoid cheap guns, cheap tools, and cheap whisky. I the case of the rough rider, I have mixed feelings.
    My cousin has shot the heck out of the one he has, and had no problems. It was probably purchased in about 2003, give or take a year or so. Probably has had 5000 plus rounds through it since then, and maybe more.
    If I were you I would try different ammo, and if no change, call them and see what they will do. From what I hear they will take care of you, when there is problems with their products.

I am blessed with a Ruger Single Six, new model and even though I dont shoot it much, its a lot of fun.
    There are several of us, who have single action 22 revolvers, and when everyone is shooting the same or similar guns it makes for a fun shooting experience.
    Cant speak for the wrangle, but all things considered, if I was looking for an entry level gun, that is where I would go.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Almost bought one but got a Ruger wrangler instead. Just wanted a cheap trap line pistol. Works flawless and shoots point of aim. Also removed one of hammer springs that dropped the pull down to 2.5 pounds.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    The other day Acadmy had an ad for Heritage rough rider for what ended up out the door for 133.68 and I got a 30 dollar rebate so 103.68 final cost. well I have never had a gun failure to fire like this one at first it only one out of 6, by the time I left I was getting 2 to 3 ftf. Seemed to good to be true I guess it was.
    A LGS had one and I fondled it. One of the edges was (imho) sharp enough to shave with! I do not recall the price and handed it back to owner while warning re the sharp edge. A couple/three months later I returned to same shop to purchase some primers and noted its absence. "You sold it?" I inquired. Shop owner said he felt it devalued everything else in the shop, and it was worth more to him to "bury" in the shops' back than "deal with the problems" sure to come from any buyer. From the price you cited, dealer was not out too very much...Re you ftf challenge, bion you might try other than what you've used brands. I have one "good" revolver which does not like -- occasional ftf -- plain-Jane CCI ammo. Best wishes!

Boolit Master
    I looked at one at the local, gun shop a few years ago, about the time the Ruger Wrangler became available. Wrangler was a tad more expensive. But after after I saw the Massachusetts safety on the Heritage, I thought "No way!" I do like the Ruger after I did a poor man's trigger job on it.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Buddy of mine at our range bought one and was not impressed. First time out he fired a a bullet got stuck in the barrel. Tried everything to get it out, including pounding on it with a wooden dowel to the point iof breaking the dowel. He had to take it to a gunsmith and it cost him more to fix it than it did to buy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast