Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheap gun cheap results

Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    Buddy of mine at our range bought one and was not impressed. First time out he fired a a bullet got stuck in the barrel. Tried everything to get it out, including pounding on it with a wooden dowel to the point iof breaking the dowel. He had to take it to a gunsmith and it cost him more to fix it than it did to buy it.
    That would be the fault of the gun, right? and not the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    Buddy of mine at our range bought one and was not impressed. First time out he fired a a bullet got stuck in the barrel. Tried everything to get it out, including pounding on it with a wooden dowel to the point iof breaking the dowel. He had to take it to a gunsmith and it cost him more to fix it than it did to buy it.
    I don't suppose it might have been some of those Golden Bullets Remington was putting out years ago that didn't even sound the same when fired and had a very high FTF rate, would it?

And that's a perfect example of why it's a very bad idea to use a wooden dowel to try and clear a squib load.

Boolit Buddy
    My Heritage RR was the first handgun I bought after my 21’s birthday. I’m now 34 and have put untold boxes of every type of ammo though it and with no more failures to fire than any other .22 and I would be far more likely to blame the ammo than the gun. The magnum cylinder collects dust because I have yet to find a load that shoots accurately enough to warrant spending .22 mag prices on ammo. With standard ammo it does great. It likes CCI MiniMags and will consistently ring my 6”steel plate at 50yd.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    The magnum cylinder collects dust because I have yet to find a load that shoots accurately enough to warrant spending .22 mag prices
    That alone would be enough to make me avoid owning one.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    That alone would be enough to make me avoid owning one.
    I believe it’s a twist rate issue. The twist is likely optimized for standard .22lr and too fast for the magnums.

Boolit Master
    Plenty of us have bought expensive guns and wound up with lemons too. I have a Springfield Armory 9mm Garrison enroute, will be here Wednesday. Lots of good reviews out there but we shall see. I can trouble shoot most 1911 issues. Hopefully there won't be any. Got a couple of 10 rd. Wilson Combat magazines at the lgs yesterday, they should up the reliability game. I could have spent quite a bit less on a Rock Island or Tisas but I wanted to avoid any potential quality issues.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 12-31-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

The only lemon that I can recall was an AMT .45 Backup that I conceal carried for a while and liked until the firing pin broke while shooting in the yard. The 1/4 inch ss pin had two milled cuts in it. A long one for the retaining pin and another for a trigger safety which reduced the diameter down to a quarter of what it was. Guess where it broke? I got a new pin from AMT, installed it and sold the gun. A huge design flaw.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    The only lemon that I can recall was an AMT .45 Backup that I conceal carried for a while and liked until the firing pin broke while shooting in the yard. The 1/4 inch ss pin had two milled cuts in it. A long one for the retaining pin and another for a trigger safety which reduced the diameter down to a quarter of what it was. Guess where it broke? I got a new pin from AMT, installed it and sold the gun. A huge design flaw.
    You are lucky then!
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    Just out of curiosity, is it another of those crummy Turkish firearms imported into our country?

I have a HS MODEL 21 S Cal.22LR as stamped on the barrel.
    Made by H.SCHMIDT OSTHEIM/RHOEM MADE IN GERMANY
    I paid 65 dollars for it at a LGS, was told it locks up and is unusable, why it was so cheap.
    I did fiddle around with it and did get it to lock up once but was easy to get it free again.
    Never have gotten it to lock up again.
    Western style revolver with a Buffalo on the plastic grips.
    Well worth the few measly dollars I paid for it.
    Fits well in my hand and has windage adjustable rear sights.
    It has the four clicks like a Colt, does have an unobtrusive safety that has never bothered me and does seem useful.
    Inexpensive does not always mean cheap.

Boolit Master

Regarding Heritage Firearms warranty- yeah not nearly so good as other manufacturers. I bought one out of curiosity a few years ago. It keyholed, and after a couple hundred rounds the barrel came loose.

I found out that if it's less than a year old they will repair it under warranty, BUT you have to pay to return it to them, and that costs nearly as much as the gun. I did return mine and they did put a new barrel on it, but as a revolver guy I was appalled at the quality of work. It came back with negative cylinder gap; yes the cylinder face was riding on the barrel breach instead of the cylinder bearing on the frame. It's hard to believe that a so-called "gunsmith" let that out of his shop.
    I also found that the trick to it not keyholing is to cock the hammer with authority. The design is such that if you cock it slow and carefully, the hammer can be cocked without the cylinder being fully aligned. They all do this. If I pull the hammer back fully so that the cylinder aligns, it is actually pretty accurate and doesn't keyhole.

I'm sure there are plenty of Rough Riders out there that work pretty well, and if you get a good one they're a fun gun for the price. They're just not made with the quality of a real gun though. Lockup, cylinder gap, endshake, all the usual things you check in a revolver don't really work for a Rough Rider.

The Ruger Wrangler came out shortly after my misadventure with the Rough Rider, so I bought one. What a breath of fresh air! It's still a cheap gun and I'm sure there are lemons out there, but at least they're made like a real gun! Comparing them side by side, the Ruger is so far and away the better quality gun. I liked it so much I bought a second one. Plus, if you get a lemon from Ruger, they'll send you a shipping label to get it back to them for repairs. I was at the gun counter at the local BiMart store recently, and the guy next to me was looking at .22 revolvers. He had chosen a Rough Rider and was starting the paperwork. I mind my own business and don't butt in to other's affairs, but it was hard for me to hold my tongue and not suggest that he'd be SO much happier spending a few dollars more on the Wrangler next to it.

Ironically, less than a year after I bought the Wrangler, I happened upon a used Single Six for just a little more than the new Wrangler. The Wrangler may be head-and-shoulders above the Rough Rider, but the Single Six is a nice step above the Wrangler.

Just out of curiosity, is it another of those crummy Turkish firearms imported into our country?
    No, the Rough Rider is made right here in the USA. From what little I've seen of Turkish guns, they're actually pretty well made for the price.

Boolit Master
    Picked up the Garrison today. So far, so good! Feeds off a full mag from slide lock and the trigger is excellent. Probably will need a bit of throat work on the barrel to shoot cast well. Hope to to shoot it tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    The other day Acadmy had an ad for Heritage rough rider for what ended up out the door for 133.68 and I got a 30 dollar rebate so 103.68 final cost. well I have never had a gun failure to fire like this one at first it only one out of 6, by the time I left I was getting 2 to 3 ftf. Seemed to good to be true I guess it was.
    I've got 2 and both fire fine with both the 22lr and 22WMR cylinders. I saw an ad for $109 with a $30 rebate from Palmetto. I'd have no problem buying them for that price if I needed one and, in fact, wife and I discussed a road trip to grab a few.

Neither will ever replace my trusty Single Six but for the price I can't say anything bad about them
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I like my Wrangler, but going to sell or trade it for something with adjustable sights. My tiny 10 shot LCP .22 is just as accurate and much easier to carry. The latter is a real gem of a pistol, one of the best Ruger has ever made I think.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12