Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s going with reloading companies ??

Boolit Mold
    I have never had an issue with RCBS or MEC. In fact, several years ago I bought a MEC 8983 that a guy had problems with and had literally thrown the parts in a cardboard box and had it out at a yard sale. It was brand new. I bought it and tried to put it back together and was out of my depth with the thing. Called MEC Customer Service, explained the problem and the guy on the other end spent a solid hour with me and stepped me through the reconstruction process. It works great and I am even more than ever a MEC customer.

Boolit Master
    Got a new replacement mould from Lee and it’s worse than the one I sent in. Have to give the kid I was arguing with at Lee kudos as the note he sent with the mould said I wouldn’t be any happier with the replacement one.
    With the mould half’s together you can slide a piece of paper through the bottom.
    This was the first time dealing with Lee on anything and most likely the last. The two ladies I talked to were really great but not so much the kid in the tech side.
    Oh well live and learn.
    Last edited by Carrier; 01-08-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you go to Lee's website, find your product, then find the "click here for parts," Lee sells almost every single part for almost everything they sell. It has a picture, product number, and a price. Down to the nuts and bolts.

If you broke the press by dropping a pile of 2x4's on it, why would you want to bother explaining that to anyone at Lee? Do you want an audience for your SOB story, or do you want a new part? Click, click, buy. Incredibly reasonable prices and next to nothing on the shipping?

When I bought a secondhand Hornady die set that needed a new decapping pin, they sent it to me for free. That's pretty cool. But I'd rather know how to just buy one in seconds rather than waiting and talking to someone. I also like to know I can theoretically buy 30 of them if I wanted, for whatever reason. Even though I don't own 30 of these product, nor maybe even one of them.

Think about it if Lyman had this sort of website and philosophy. You could buy any size expander plug, separately, and insert them into your 1 set of M1 and M2 die bodies. If this were the case, I would have bought a lot more of their expander plugs (and done a lot less turning/grinding to make my own custom plugs for their dies). I would have been able to choose plugs that were already lathe-threaded and close to the dimensions I want.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-08-2023 at 02:50 PM.

I haven't been very happy with Lyman over the past few years. I'm too deaf to use phone, so I email, which they mostly ignore. Their stock is so low that I started making my own M-die expanders and also sizing dies.

I use a couple of Lee dies strictly for case reforming, (because cheap). They shipped me spare decapper stems and nuts promptly. But otherwise, as somebody said above, their stuff doesn't work well enough to bother with.

I've never managed to break any of the RCBS equipment I use.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Does anyone else wonder how long Lucy has been the QA inspector at Lyman? Everything I have ever bought from them has been inspected by Lucy.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmm. I checked my Lyman stuff and, sure enough, it's been inspected by "Lucy" too. That begs the question..does Lyman only have one inspector?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Oh boy I just sent Lee a 6 hole 9mm die to them for really bad out of round bullets.
    What the heck is a 6 hole die???

Max
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Their stock is so low that I started making my own M-die expanders and also sizing dies.
    I sure wish I had that capacity.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    What the heck is a 6 hole die???

Max
    I'd kind of like to get one of those myself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Have experience with customer service with LEE, Lyman, RCBS and Hornady. Lyman was not helpful, the others were pleasant to deal with and fully resolved the problem.

RCBS was used twice, once to but handle for aR C that I bought used and the handle punched through the shipping box and was lost. Nice lady tried like mad to get me say it was broken so she could send a replacement for free, I insisted on paying for it. Second was a sizer/lubricator that the die retaining nut and stripped out on. Told me send it in for repair, two weeks later a new LAM II was in my mail box.

LEE was parts for the discontinued Auto-prime II. Nice lady there had them check and although not listed, they found the parts I needed. Ordering parts from them to upgrade my old Challenger press was about as painless as it gets.

Hornady was a scale that the little notches that held the poise were too shallow. Said send it back, again a week or two and a new scale was in my mailbox. Had a set of used dies that had the old style compression nut on the smooth decapping rod. Called to get the parts to upgrade to the threaded rod. Shipped the parts and refused to let me pay for them.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd kind of like to get one of those myself.
    Inquiring minds want to know what It is too. Been doing reloading since 1980, and had a retail gun shop selling all brands of reloading equipment and never heard of this product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    Dillon the same as all ways just junky to deal with and crappie parts powder drop broken and they will not replace it with out sending the hole thing in and will not sell me the part at a reasonable price aka I can get a new powder drop for less and a better one

I'd heard Dillon was having problems with people just wanting free stuff and had to clamp down on some things.

The only customer service I'd delt with lately was Hornady a couple years ago.
    I broke that ninja star looking thing that advances the shell plate on a new AP.

I called 'em up and they were going to send me a new one for free.
    I told 'em 'this isn't a warranty claim.... I broke it. A 9mm brass went up crooked, and I forced the handle like a gorilla'.

I figured it'd be $15-20 bucks.
    After arguing for a minute--- she finally agreed to let me buy two of them, and charged me $1.88 each.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    What is going on with lee reloading

problem with customer service? They wanna argue with you about everything.
    I stopped buying From them and I’ve been a customer for many many years

RCBS is kind of getting the same way

Hornady on the other hand great customer service Part of my Press broke and they shipped me a new one for free and it was something that should not of Broke Under normal use . It was broke because a stack of 2x4 fell over on it

Dillon the same as all ways just junky to deal with and crappie parts powder drop broken and they will not replace it with out sending the hole thing in and will not sell me the part at a reasonable price aka I can get a new powder drop for less and a better one
    Last dialog I had with lee they were nice enough ( very polite )..just not helpful. I had an older mold of theirs..but the number on it clearly did not match what it was. I called in to see if they re used a number. According to them, no they didn't.... So... Polite..just..something odd... A wrong numbered mold.

Boolit Buddy
    I have noticed a change in RCBS ways with customer service in the last year or so. They are still helpful but just not the same as they once were.

Boolit Master

I’ve used a Lee Auto Bench Primer for several years now. The plastic assembly that isolates and feeds a single primer to the ram will fail after 10 or 20 K primers. I’m sure I’ve gone through four or five by now and never had to pay for any of them.
    As others have said I’ve never had any issue getting replacement parts under warranty from any reloading company. Wish all manufacturers would stand behind their products as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    In 60 years of reloading, I have not had a problem with any reloading equipment company.
    Ditto. I started this stuff in 1965 with mostly Lyman tools but have acquired tools from all current brands (except Dillon) and quite a few from brands that haven't survived the years.

Part of what I've learned is that ALL of our makers make good reloading tools IF they are chosen and used as they should be. I'm not ham-fisted with my tools and in all of those years I've only needed three small parts I had damaged myself, not failed construction.

I have needed some decap pins and one shell holder retaining snap spring. The third "problem" part I needed was to replace (about 20 years ago) was a badly rusted RCBS 7-08 sizer body. I called their customer service lady to buy a replacement die body - not to beg for a free-be - but the very nice lady refused to sell me one, nor would she sell me a complete single new die. She said she could sell me a complete new die set tho, at full retail price! I thanked her for the (expensive) offer but would order a much less costly set of Lee's RGB dies from Midway instead. (I did get a Lee die set and they still work just as well as any other common brand.)

Seems the value of a not quite "free lifetime" parts warranty may be an illusion so it comes down to how many of which parts we break because somebody has to pay for them and that comes at the initial purchase; I don't want to pay for that!

Bottomline, to each his own but if we chose to pay extra for our tools to get a free replacement parts promise and don't need them we're just buying "free" things for those who do break a lot of stuff.

I've saved a small fortune over the last 60+ years by not paying extra to cover "free" parts mostly due to the mistakes of people who can royally screw up a lot of very simple mechanical things!

Boolit Buddy
    As far as RCBS I have 4. Knowing all I have to do is call them with a problem. They fix it.
    I just did in Aug 2022. I was told they will send me a new spring for the primer loader. They said there products have a life time guarantee. I been using RCBS since 1975.
    I know there are a lot of high tech fancy loaders out there but I am not
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Had a part break on my Dillon 550 last year, sent them an email and got a replacement right away. The last time I’ve broken anything reloading. Prior to that eons ago for lee autoprime pot metal handles.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So where are Lee products manufactured? US or overseas? Maybe both.

Boolit Master
    I've used Lee stuff for over 40 years. Yep, not always perfect but for the price I get what I want.

I thought I'd finally worn out my Loadmaster when it stopped indexing properly. I decided to take it apart and clean it, replacing worn parts. Filled out the order on their web site and sent it in (about $40 of misc stuff). When the order was processed I was charged for one item (not part of the press). When I inquired about this in an email the response was that I was replacing worn parts and they are covered under warranty so no charge. I never told them I was rebuilding a press, they just didn't charge me. Yes, I was shocked. Since then they have done the same on replacement parts several times.

And, the end result is that after reassembly and replacement of worn parts the darn thing works great (it is 18 yrs old now).

Yes, some things Lee came up with are less than useful. The on press priming systems have never worked well for me. The one on the Loadmaster I modified and now it works well. The "Safety prime" sucks (I've tried it on two different presses). The bullet feed system was also pretty bad, but, the case feeder works pretty good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast