Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: hearing protection

Boolit Master

hearing protection

I had a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs that seemed to work well, now everyone tells me they were too low on BD protection. The head band fabric started to flake off and i gave them to my wife or daughter to repair, now neither says they have them so its time to replace them. I have no idea what to get and at my other forum the suggestions went from $300 up. I even thought to use the silencio magnums I bought years ago but they have had the ear pads replaced 3 times and they have gone flat again. I seems that silencio is out of business. What is a good set of muffs, that doesn't break the bank? i would like a suggestion in electronic and non-electronic if possible. my hearing is poor from my doctor neglecting my ear infections when i was a child so i need good DB rating. thanks for your help!

Boolit Master
    Start using ear plugs with your muffs. I think too many of these electronic goodies are costing people their hearing

I use the older Ryobi Tek4 electronic muffs, It uses a rechargeable 4v battery that will last for over 12 hours of use.
    Last edited by deces; 11-26-2022 at 01:20 PM.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I had a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs that seemed to work well, now everyone tells me they were too low on BD protection. The head band fabric started to flake off and i gave them to my wife or daughter to repair, now neither says they have them so its time to replace them. I have no idea what to get and at my other forum the suggestions went from $300 up. I even thought to use the silencio magnums I bought years ago but they have had the ear pads replaced 3 times and they have gone flat again. I seems that silencio is out of business. What is a good set of muffs, that doesn't break the bank? i would like a suggestion in electronic and non-electronic if possible. my hearing is poor from my doctor neglecting my ear infections when i was a child so i need good DB rating. thanks for your help!
    I have, too a couple pair of the Howard Leight 'SYNC' model muffs -- one each for when on the tractor (with cab it IS loud!) and for shooting. When shooting airguns and .22 rifles/carbines I just wear these. However, for larger calibres and all handguns I complement them with a good set of push-in-ear plugs.
    I am of the belief that the electronic ones are not worth the coin requisite to get them. Perhaps just me. The ones I have provide 25db reduction alone, and when complemented with even el cheapo push-ins more than exceed the Db ratings of any of the "best". Plus, what I specially like is these have a small electronic jack in them so -- 'specially when on tractor for long stretches (e.g., moving snow) -- I plug in iPod Shuffles, one of my cellular telephones, or a small pocket radio and am able to listen to music which seems to make the time fly by...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SYNC.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	307282 Forty bucks or so for these, plus maybe another ten for GOOD plugs: Imho, one has hearing protection which would be hard to rival or beat.
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

If you can swing it, Mr. Peabody gave a good suggestion with using both. I have the custom fitted molded ear from a hearing doc but they can be expensive. They work great (had my Son's done also) and they pour the stuff in your ear so perfect fit. Then wear the muffs. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Radians moldable ear plugs beneath my earmuffs. They are comfortable, easily molded to your ear and cheap! I get them on fleaBay for about $12.00 a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32354032845...mis&media=COPY
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Start using ear plugs with your muffs. I think too many of these electronic goodies are costing people their hearing
    I think so too.
    They shut off pretty quick, but over time that fraction of a second delay adds up to hearing loss.
    Same thing with those auto-tint welding helmets if you spend a lot of time under one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I think so too.
    They shut off pretty quick, but over time that fraction of a second delay adds up to hearing loss.
    Same thing with those auto-tint welding helmets if you spend a lot of time under one.
    This is not a good comparison.

Light is traveling so fast the electronics cannot keep up.

But with the ear muffs, the electronics is reacting much faster than the sound is moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    I use Peltor electronic muffs for pistol,for rifle I have a set of 3m electronic ear plugs. I can hear conversations/range commands better than conventional headphones or earplugs.

Boolit Master
    Earpeace plugs. When I need more I use a cheap electronic set of muffs. For $30 I consider them throw aways after a year.

Peltor Comtac V. Had them issued to me years ago and will never wear anything else. Can wear them 8 hours and not be bothered.