WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Looking for Detailed 45/70 Trajectory Table

Boolit Master

Looking for Detailed 45/70 Trajectory Table

The Accurate 405-460 WFP GC boolits out of the 1895 CB chronographs in 1,700fps neighborhood. Now, sighting in a Ruger #3 with this load using a scope this is what I am achieving: The sight in is 1.5" above POA on the 100 yard target. The rounds drop on the target board 5"-6" low at 150 yards and 16"-17" low at 200 yards, as expected from the trajectory tables. But, I've not found any tables for this at 25 yard increments. I suspect at 175 yards they will may be in the 12" drop range, but that is only a guess on my part. What have you found to be the actual drop at 175 yards for this type of load?

Why do I ask? Years ago I had practiced shooting muzzleloading conical slugs at 200 yard accurately, but in a hunting scenario what I thought was 200 yard across the harvested corn field turned out to be 175 steps and it took the buck down with a spine shot. It all worked out but knowing that 25 yard difference is something I want to figure out.
    Thanks in advance,

ChristopherO

Boolit Master
    You could plot this slope since you have good data at known distances.

Boolit Buddy
    JBM ballistics website has a trajectory calculator. Need to know the BC, velocity and a few other items. It will allow range increments down to one yard.

Accurate 405-460 WFP
    Do a favor and look back at Tom's Site for the bullet designation
    I'm not finding anything listed close to that catalog#.
    Let us know....

Meanwhile if I just do trajectory matching w/ a similar design
    -- that results in a really lousy BC of 0.13 -- I get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNK45-70.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	307231

Code:
    Range(yd)	POI(in)
    0  	       -1.5
    5	       -1.0
    10	       -0.5
    15	        0.0
    20	        0.4
    25	        0.8
    30	        1.1
    35	        1.4
    40	        1.7
    45	        2.0
    50	        2.2
    55	        2.3
    60	        2.4
    65	        2.5
    70	        2.5
    75	        2.5
    80	        2.4
    85	        2.3
    90	        2.2
    95	        1.9
    100	        1.7
    105	        1.3
    110	        1.0
    115	        0.5
    120	        0.0
    125	       -0.5
    130	       -1.2
    135	       -1.9
    140	       -2.6
    145	       -3.4
    150	       -4.3
    155	       -5.3
    160	       -6.3
    165	       -7.4
    170	       -8.6
    175	       -9.9
    180	     -11.2
    185	     -12.6
    190	     -14.1
    195	     -15.7
    200	     -17.3
    Last edited by mehavey; 11-25-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Probably .12 to .13 would be close for a flat point 45 cal. Larry Medler's Silhouette Ballistics program will run actual scope adjustments in clicks and incremental trajectory tables which you can print and put on a scope front bell with clear packing tape. Try it you will like it with a laser range finder. My long range guns have 800 yard adjustments on the bells.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=mehavey;5492029]Do a favor and look back at Tom's Site for the bullet designation
    I'm not finding anything listed close to that catalog#.
    Let us know....

Thank you, that should be pretty darn close. I was guessing 12" but the 10" figure would still punch a deer heart lung zone well if I do use 12" as the 175 yard dope, as Rapier says in his response. Either way I think we are on the right track.
    As for your comment about looking up the actual mold designation, I hesitated to do so because I think Tom may have changed his designation on it since when I purchased it some years back. My mold, and what I ordered 7 or 8 years ago is a 46-405C but it looks like this:

Name:	Accurate 46-405C.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	307268

but the Accurate website now shows the 46-405C as this:
    https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=46-405C

Looking through his catalogue now I believe what I have is a 46-405A, a much wider flat nose than the current 405C. Thus, this is why I didn't include the actual catalogue information in my first post.

All replies are appreciated and helpful. Not sure what the BC is on my particular boolit, but the 0.13 used to generate the trajectory table appears to be within reason.

Boolit Master
    A photo of the drop at 200 yards for reference:

Name:	200 Yd Top POA Bottom POI.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	307269

Aim point was in center of top target, while the two holes near the bottom show the distance they dropped.

Name:	POA Vs POI.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	307270

Name:	ACC_46-405T.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	307272

Boolit Mold
    I've been using this calculator for a while now - https://fdocuments.net/document/ball...er.html?page=1 It's an Excel spreadsheet that's floating around all over the internet. It lets you enter whatever range increments you want. Best of all (to me) since it's Excel I can add customized calculations. I made my own rear sight to fit an original Springfield trapdoor rifle and I'm using the spreadsheet for guesstimate calibration of the sight.

And you can use LibreOffice for free (open source software) to run the spreadsheet if you don't want to pay for Microsoft Office. Yes, I spent my entire working life as a computer nerd.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JMN View Post
    I've been using this calculator for a while now - https://fdocuments.net/document/ball...er.html?page=1 It's an Excel spreadsheet that's floating around all over the internet. It lets you enter whatever range increments you want. Best of all (to me) since it's Excel I can add customized calculations. I made my own rear sight to fit an original Springfield trapdoor rifle and I'm using the spreadsheet for guesstimate calibration of the sight.

And you can use LibreOffice for free (open source software) to run the spreadsheet if you don't want to pay for Microsoft Office. Yes, I spent my entire working life as a computer nerd.
    JMN, I have signed into that site and have been searching for this ballistic computer but only am finding lectures, written documents and product information of ballistic calcutators. Can you direct me to the specific page you sent? The link in your post only shows the calculator as a static page. I am not able to use it straight from the link. I have Microsoft Office on my computer. Thank you, ChristopherO.

Boolit Master
    www.huntingnut top left of main page has pointblank online click in there and follow your nose. its free and easy to use. put in what you know and best guess the rest.
    you already KNOW velocity and weight...your BC you will have some idea so just keep tweaking it untill your trajectory matches your drops...shouldnt take more than 5 minutes to have it down pat.

Banner Sponsor

I use the Strelok pro app on my phone
    The regular version is free.

Boolit Master

ChristopherO - Two good resources I use a lot:

1. The NOE Bullet Molds website allows you to pull up blueprints for any of their molds. At the bottom right hand corner of those blueprints you will find "Estimated B.C." Odds are that Al has a blueprint for something that's close to the mold you got from Tom in weight and shape. That will probably get you in the ballpark.

2. Federal has an online ballistic calculator that lets you plug in all the variables - B.C., velocity, scope height, altitude, wind, temperature, etc..., and it allows you to choose the range increments for your final output. I typically print them out in 25 yard increments for rifle and 5 yard increments for pistol.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I've been tied up hunting this past week but appreciate all the responses. They've been quite helpful. 100 yards and in I am in pretty good shape jugging distance but am too rusty much past 125. Got to work on this on the off season as I used to when taking walks and estimating distance to objects up ahead. Maybe splurging for a range finder might be a good thing to consider also.

Boolit Master

Looks like the two NOE bullets closest to yours have a B.C. of .277 and .286, so if you play with number around there, you'll probably be close enough for government work.

I've become a big believer in the max point blank method of zeroing, and consider a 6" tall kill zone to be the starting point for figuring out a zero distance and trajectory that climbs no more than +3" above POA on the way to zero and drops to -3" at some point past. At least then, you're point and click within that span.

But I'll second your notion of investing in a range finder. #1, it's good if you're going to hunt with a mortar like the .45-70, and #2, if you're sitting in your stand waiting, you can get all the landmarks plotted out well in advance of needing to fire.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    ChristopherO: You're shooting a 405 grain slug at 1700 fps out of a Ruger #3 ? My friend that will kill on one end and wound on the other!

Boolit Master

Realistically, if you are serious about shooting a firearm with a rainbow trajectory, you should get a laser rangefinder. This finalizing and validating trajectory is moot if estimating yardage is only +/- 25 yards or so.

Boolit Master

How long are your steps.

Ever track your steps vs a known distance.

150-200 steps to even out variation from step to step.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!