Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get another PCP AirGun

Boolit Master

Looking to get another PCP AirGun

I can't seem to find what I want. I want a PCP in 25 or 30 cal. with an integral Moderator/silencer. I was hoping to keep the price tag under $700.

Recommendation.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe the DAR in .25 will meet your specifications. $500. I have one in .22 and am pleased with it. Mine was $300 two years ago. Mine has an internal moderator and I shoot it without hearing protection.

Give DAR a call to check out if the .25 comes with a moderator.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I will call but it seems the new gen 3 guns don't have an integral moderator.

Thanks for the recommendation. It is close to what I want.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    It does ,I have one very quiet awesome rifle, JSB Hades are one ragged hole at 25 yds, 1” or less at 50yds. Has the same moderator as the gen 2 in 22cal. Gen 3 25 is also threaded for an external moderator unlike the gen 2.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tim.
    I wanted to add is that my DAR has a bit of creep in the trigger. Supposedly it is easy to take apart and tune but frankly it is not bad enough to bother with. I am comparing it to a Daystate that is a lot more money. I end up shooting the Daystate more so there is little incentive to tear into the DAR. The DAR will be a great gun for the grandkids and is my backup plinker should the Daystate need service.

I am sure you realize getting into .25 and .30 cal has its drawbacks. Pellets are about $40/500 for the .25's and $80/500 for the .30's; and you will be using more air.

Scan some of my posts on the airgun sub-forum of my experience with the .22 Daystate and DAR. I am getting very good accuracy (not cherry picked groups but dozens of groups) with Crosman 14.3 Premiers that cost $6.24/500. I have not hunted with either PCP but feel they are good to about 50 yards for stuff like squirrels and pest birds.

If you live where noise is an issue, hunting with a PCP makes a lot of sense. I am isolated and can use a .22 LR. The .22 LR is far superior to any PCP that is affordable to shoot. I keep both the Daystate and 10/22 handy for varmints but I always pick up the 10/22.

For folks who enjoy shooting, air guns are going to become more popular as "progress" marches on. Between issues with noise, ranges shutting down, regulations, and cost/availability of ammunition/components they have a bright future. Airguns keep getting better and better.

Good luck with your choice and give us a range report when you get it.
    Don Verna

Look into the Air Venturi "Avenger." available from Pyramyd Air. $349 with plastic stock and $399 with wood stock. Available in .177, .22, .25 cals. I have been looking at these guns a lot and am very close to buying one. All the reviews I have seen are 4.5-5 stars and everybody is raving about them. Might be something to look at?.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/a...r-rifle?m=5136

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/a...k?m=5307#10738

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    An oldie but a goodie, and available as 25cal, is the Artemis P-15/ Diana Skyhawk
    At one time a rather popular bullpup of VERY compact dimensions that seeing their cost many tossed longer barrels at.

They´re still to be had new, but were it me i´d get one used. Albeit regulated stock they´re still very very simple to service as far as replacing o-rings and what not, and in turn there´s hotrod parts out the whazoo.

I´d get me a used one. Then tailor the onboard moderator a tad (check Youtube) and in turn toss a plenum of ample size at it cause that it lacks dire in stock form.
    They´re very simple, sturdy and cheap however (both the guns and the aftermarket plenums)

My own i´ve modded beyond belief, and am still at it. Mine´s a 22 though, sporting a Lothar Walter barrel and what not (longer than stock).

A "work in progress" and far far from done... I came to put an extender to the rear of the stock. A cut off piece of old Mauser -96 wood installed on a pair of stainless rods.
    Simply as i´m 6,3 and 220lbs and i DWARF that thing as is. That said, a splendid mod platform that as it comes out of the box (not modified IOW) will hand you like 55 Joules or so in 25cal.

Souping it up performance wise is certainly doable and the added plenum alone coupled with a wee bit of porting makes for a completely different animal.
    If you opt to stop at say 80-85J somewhere (with the added plenum that is) you still get a fair amount of shots out of it before a refill is needed.

..this using 25,4´s is done easier still if you wish, and at them speeds hollow point slugs start to open up big time. This for the 22 though. 25,4´s that is...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Look into the Air Venturi "Avenger." available from Pyramyd Air. $349 with plastic stock and $399 with wood stock. Available in .177, .22, .25 cals. I have been looking at these guns a lot and am very close to buying one. All the reviews I have seen are 4.5-5 stars and everybody is raving about them. Might be something to look at?.

Randy
    I don't see that it comes with an integral moderator (suppressor/silencer).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post
    An oldie but a goodie, and available as 25cal, is the Artemis P-15/ Diana Skyhawk
    At one time a rather popular bullpup of VERY compact dimensions that seeing their cost many tossed longer barrels at.

They´re still to be had new, but were it me i´d get one used. Albeit regulated stock they´re still very very simple to service as far as replacing o-rings and what not, and in turn there´s hotrod parts out the whazoo.

I´d get me a used one. Then tailor the onboard moderator a tad (check Youtube) and in turn toss a plenum of ample size at it cause that it lacks dire in stock form.
    They´re very simple, sturdy and cheap however (both the guns and the aftermarket plenums)

My own i´ve modded beyond belief, and am still at it. Mine´s a 22 though, sporting a Lothar Walter barrel and what not (longer than stock).

A "work in progress" and far far from done... I came to put an extender to the rear of the stock. A cut off piece of old Mauser -96 wood installed on a pair of stainless rods.
    Simply as i´m 6,3 and 220lbs and i DWARF that thing as is. That said, a splendid mod platform that as it comes out of the box (not modified IOW) will hand you like 55 Joules or so in 25cal.

Souping it up performance wise is certainly doable and the added plenum alone coupled with a wee bit of porting makes for a completely different animal.
    If you opt to stop at say 80-85J somewhere (with the added plenum that is) you still get a fair amount of shots out of it before a refill is needed.

..this using 25,4´s is done easier still if you wish, and at them speeds hollow point slugs start to open up big time. This for the 22 though. 25,4´s that is...
    How quiet is it with the stock shroud? Where can they be found used?

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Tim.
    No. The stock shroud contains a TRUE moderator too. Stock there´s a No of sheet steel baffles in there. Can´t recall how many, but a bunch.
    The P-15 and newer P-35 share innards, basically, and there´s a No of Youtube vids on how to alter the contents of the actual moderator bit of it. Some use hair curlers to replace SOME of the baffles and what not.
    Bottom line though is that noodled around with a LITTLE bit the P-15/35 can be had very quiet for what it is even within the stock parameters.

Moderator Emeritus

Randy
    Wanted it on record that I just bought the wood stock Anenger in 25 cal. It is all your fault. For the record.
    Got a free soft case thrown in and 14% off for Black Friday. Thanks for the tip.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I don't see that it comes with an integral moderator (suppressor/silencer).
    The barrel is shrouded and acts as a "Moderator." I know how loud they are because I shot one recently, and from what I've seen there is a aftermarket moderator that screws onto the end of the barrel which makes them almost silent.

I ordered mine yesterday and it will be here in a week or so. I got a Black Stocked 25. I need to find a small compressor between now and then.

I've got several scopes I can use on it from a 1-6X very small one to a 4-12x Bushnell I am inclined to go with the small one as I want to keep the gun as light as possible. I will also be side mounting one of my 1.5" wide Slings as shown in the "What I did to my Shotguns" thread.

Looking forward to many hours of entertainment with this tool!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I got a $100 Amazon Gift Cert for my Birthday, so I went on Amazon and searched for air compressors. Ended up buying a Spirtech PCP Auto Shutoff Compressor that will do 4300 lbs. It was $338 or $262 with tax and my gift Cert applied. So in the end I will have right at $700 in this entire system, which should keep me going for at least a year or so before I need more pellets..

I got the gun, 4 tins of pellets, 3 extra Mags, and the predelivery inspection for $450.

As I said earlier I have several different scopes I can use, so I can be up and running in a couple of weeks from now..

Looking forward to this big time.

Randy

Boolit Master
    The barrel is shrouded and acts as a "Moderator." I know how loud they are because I shot one recently, and from what I've seen there is a aftermarket moderator that screws onto the end of the barrel which makes them almost silent.

I ordered mine yesterday and it will be here in a week or so. I got a Black Stocked 25. I need to find a small compressor between now and then.

I've got several scopes I can use on it from a 1-6X very small one to a 4-12x Bushnell I am inclined to go with the small one as I want to keep the gun as light as possible. I will also be side mounting one of my 1.5" wide Slings as shown in the "What I did to my Shotguns" thread.

Looking forward to many hours of entertainment with this tool!

Randy
    Maybe I have the story wrong but a separate moderator will require a background check, a $200 dollar tax stamp and a long wait. Separate moderators could be used on a firearm.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I have the story wrong but a separate moderator will require a background check, a $200 dollar tax stamp and a long wait. Separate moderators could be used on a firearm.

Tim
    In Michigan, an air gun is not a firearm and can be moderated without the tax stamp and paperwork. Check your state regulations.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    How do you get a separate moderator without a tax stamp?

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    How do you get a separate moderator without a tax stamp?

Tim
    If it is for ONLY an airgun, it is fine. I ordered a Donny FL for my Daystate and no problems. My DAR was moderated from the factory.
    Don Verna

The Donny FL are great by the looks of them.
    Buck Rails are dirt cheap but plastic (PC printed), I'm happy with mine.
    Air gun suppressors use a different thread pitch from firearm suppressors. 1/2X24 instead of 1/2X28

Boolit Master
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I bought a Hatsan FlashPupQE .25. It's quiet and kills like a laser. Perfect for my backyard pest control needs.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast