Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: In the market for a chronograph

Boolit Master

In the market for a chronograph

I plan on buying a chronograph between now and the end of the year. What’s the consensus on best buys? My budget is $300 or less.

TIA, HW

Fortunately I have access to a fairly private outdoor range where I am alone most of the time so I went with a Competition Electronics ProChrono. It works very well and was around $100, so very affordable. With that said, if my option to set a chronograph down range was limited I would have certainly ponied up the extra(much extra) coin for a LabRadar.

the pack 2 is a viable option if you can find one. Just something that works for me.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

I wouldn’t waste my time with anything other than a LabRadar. Save your $ and buy one,they are that much better no denying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I wouldn’t waste my time with anything other than a LabRadar. Save your $ and buy one,they are that much better no denying it.
    i got turned off from the purchase of one some time ago due to problems with aiming it, is this still a problem?
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    The lab radar has a notch on the top for aiming, not the best a lot of people glue a sort piece of soda straw for a peep sight. I found a 3d print file for a peep sight, I printed it and works great. The lab radar is awesome.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure I’d get my money’s worth from the LabRadar - it’s not that I can’t afford the coin, but I probably don’t shoot enough to make it worthwhile. However, I’ll shop around, maybe the manufacturer will discount them at year end.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Fortunately I have access to a fairly private outdoor range where I am alone most of the time so I went with a Competition Electronics ProChrono. It works very well and was around $100, so very affordable. With that said, if my option to set a chronograph down range was limited I would have certainly ponied up the extra(much extra) coin for a LabRadar.
    Agree with Targa. The Pre Chronodoes everything I need . Mostly checking velocity to make requirement for pistol shoots and rifle just to know what's going on. GW

I used a Pact 1 for years and got spotty reading if the light was not right. I then shot a screen arm and replaced it. The printer was nice for records. I now have a Labradar. Light is never a problem, running out if paper in not a problem, having a dead 9 volt battery or shooting a screen not a problem. I can even get readings for my .17 hornet or my .45-90 Sharps in the dark or the rain out to 100 yds (max distance at range). The data can be saved on a chip and loaded into Excel for review. You can even get Ballistic coefficient calculations from it.

Aiming is easy. I got an adapter from Smoke4320 that is a picatinny rail and Weaver 1” rings. I did not even add a scope as the rings act like a big peep and it works just fine.

Drawbacks, the price and their bluetooth program sucks. If you can afford one then you won't be sorry.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I’ve got a magnetospeed on order, we’ll see.

Boolit Master
    +1 Competition Electronics ProChrono (though i have the older version) Does everything i need to do and the Bluetooth interface and associated software are easy to use. Does everyhing I need it to so