RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Venison Ribs

Boolit Master

Venison Ribs

After trying a number of ways to cook venison ribs, we finally gave up and just boned them out for grind meat.
    Not any longer.
    I tried the Meat Eater method of cooking them and love them cooked that way.
    Cut them into pieces that will fit in your slow cooker. Salt and pepper to taste.
    Cover them with water and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
    Remove from the slow cooker and cover with your favorite rub.
    Save the stock for other uses.
    Put the ribs in your pellet grill/smoker and smoke for 3 hours.
    When they are about done slather them with your favorite BBQ sauce.
    Wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil and grill for another 1/2 hour.
    Remove and enjoy

Boolit Master

Rinella knows his stuff! Excellent cooking method! Use a pressure cooker and you can reduce the initial cook time down to 20-40 min. We pressure cook all manner of small game before frying, makes for some good eating!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have a deer that’s been aging in the garage since Monday. I would assume I would not want to eat the ribs off of this? I would think drying and aging is probably not good for ribs since there isn’t very much meat on them to begin with. I made them when I was a kid and didn’t do it right. A lot of fat and rancid taste imo. Figured after reading this it might be time to try it again but I think I probably will wait for a fresh kill and remove the ribs immediately?

Boolit Master

I'm not one age a deer for extended times like beef.
    I never found it to improve the quality of venison.
    Mine hang for 3-4 days at the most.
    I have found that the most important thing to get quality meat is to get it cooled and cleaned as soon as possible.
    I`m no fan of venison fat. I remove as much as possible.
    To each his own.
    If your deer has been hanging in a cool place " 35-40*" the ribs should be fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried several methods. A couple were good other not so much, but my issue is deer ribs is effort verse return. Now I just make dog treats out of them. I save and boil most of the bones than dry in the oven.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

For me I skin the deer the same day and then the next day I cut it up. I do not let it hang for a long time. Like stated clean as soon as you can and skin it to cool it down . I will have to try the slow cooker way on the ribs, I otherwise put them on a a rack with water in the pan put season on the ribs and then cook it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

We always just did ours in the oven at 250 degrees, wrapped in foil for about 2 hours. Inside the package was our favorite rub, sliced onions, bell peppers, some slices of bacon and apple. Never had any leftovers, sadly.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Well I saved my ribs and I cut all the excess meat off the top which probably needs to stay on there just like pork ribs I would assume so there’s something to eat. I had shot through mine twice so there was a lot of blood on the meat layer on top of the ribs that need to be removed. So I would assume they’ll be hardly any meat on it by the time they are done. We’ll see how it goes my guess is they’ll get tossed out during the process. There’s a lot of fat on them too but I was trying to trim off. Just some photos of people how they trim and clean them and before and after cooking to see what they look like would probably help 1,000,000%.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    After trying a number of ways to cook venison ribs, we finally gave up and just boned them out for grind meat.
    Not any longer.
    I tried the Meat Eater method of cooking them and love them cooked that way.
    Cut them into pieces that will fit in your slow cooker. Salt and pepper to taste.
    Cover them with water and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
    Remove from the slow cooker and cover with your favorite rub.
    Save the stock for other uses.
    Put the ribs in your pellet grill/smoker and smoke for 3 hours.
    When they are about done slather them with your favorite BBQ sauce.
    Wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil and grill for another 1/2 hour.
    Remove and enjoy
    Dale, I have a question for you....do you take the membrane off of the back of the ribs like you have to do with pork ribs....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I just watched a couple YouTube videos and they recommend Removing the membrane. I might try making mine on Monday. Tomorrow’s the last day of gun season so I’m going to give it heck. If I still have an unused buck tag I have 10 days of muzzleloader season starting Monday to get it done. Spooked one this morning going to my stand in the dark and never saw anything after sun up accept for squirrels and a raccoon. I sat from 5:45am till 12:30 n called it a day.

I have my ribs cooking! Just tried a piece and they are awesome. I’m leaving them in the oven for another half hour just to see if they soften a little more. I have them covered with tin foil and water on the bottom.

First I gave them a bath in vinegar and salt for a half hour. Just figured in case there was any bacteria on them from aging in my garage for five days I wanted to kill it. After that I put them on a pan in the oven on broil for about 10 minutes a side. Put them on the bottom rack. It cooked off most of the fat I didn’t want in my cook along with what was left of the blood seemed to cook out onto the bottom of the pan. I removed them from the oven I let them cool down. Then I rub them with some spicy mustard and some dry rub seasoning to get it to stick to the mustard. I then brush them with barbecue sauce and put some butter and maple syrup on them. One went in the oven and sealed foil and water on the bottom for an hour and 50 minutes. That’s the one I just tested and put back in to see if I could soften the meat a little bit more. The other one I put in the instant pot for an hour and a half. Figured if I wrecked one I could try the other. I can tell you the meat was a little tough after an hour and 35 minutes at 325 but tasted great! I little spicy as I put on a lot of rub. Never did a dry rub before so it’s something new for me I’ll have to post a picture once they both come out the oven in the instant pot.

Pic…

The ones in the oven were awesome! I ate the whole rack of ribs in about five minutes and have a huge bellyache now. They were on the spicy side but I couldn’t help myself.lol.

The ones in the instant pot didn’t do it for me. They turned out a lot softer but lost all the good flavors and texture compared to the rack I made in the oven.

These are what they looked like when I put them in naked in the first step when i broiled them 10 min per side. It cooked a lot of the fat off. I have to say once they started cooling down I can still feel just a little fat on my lips start to harden. My guess is you’re never gonna get away with removing it all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FQXqKnZ.jpg  
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-27-2022 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Master

They are put in the slow cooker/ Instapot/ pressure cooker just enough to tenderize them.
    Then I put my rub on them and place them on the grates of the smoker for 3 hours for flavor.
    Then I put my BBQ sauce on them and wrap them in aluminum foil and cook for another 30 minutes.
    I found that cooking them in the oven without tenderizing first they turned out dry and chewy.