MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 on sale

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Dang, that ain't good. I reload and all of my brass is fine, no bulges.
    My usual magnum load is straight out of the book, a heavy load of H110 and a 158, I think about 17 grains. It bulges brass. I still think that load is lighter than most factory 357 magnum, too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    About Rossi refusing to fix problems. Do they deny existence of problems? Say that guns are in spec? Please share their responses.
    sorry... just saw this.
    Rossi USA didn't deny it... after sending an email with a pic of the brass, they contacted me and said "send it in"... gave me a pre-paid shipping label.
    The problem was the wait time. They told me they were waiting for Rossi Brasil to send them a barrel. As time went by, and no barrel, I contacted them again, and a woman emailed me and told me she would personally keep track of my order. She told me that they had to wait 90 days (IIRC) before they could offer a replacement. At that milestone, she said they could offer me a 20" blued version for my 16" stainless one.
    After a few weeks, they finally shipped that one to my FFL, and I tried it out. It bulged brass, as well.
    I replied back to the woman (Tammy?) saying that the replacement also bulged brass, and I got no response at all.
    It might take something like a class action lawsuit for them to "admit" publicly that there is an issue, but that's not a road I would want to take.
    If you goober Rossi bulged brass, you will find a BUNCH of stories about it.... so it is not an isolated incident kind of thing.

It's a little disappointing to me, because I've always been a huge supporter of "the little guy" in firearms. I've championed Taurus firearms because of my great experiences with them, and I wanted to do the same with the Rossi lever guns.... I just can't do it, based on my three rifle experiences... a little over $2100 worth of not great experiences... I've still got the .45 Colt, but will likely move it along at the first opportunity... if I can find someone that just wants to shoot factory ammo, or cowboy stuff, I'll sell it to them... at a large loss, I'm sure.

I guess I'm weird, I like the buckhorn sight.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    yep ! they definitely done that wrong.

If I was getting a Rossi - I would buy a 44mag - get the chamber recut to 44/40 - (a clever gunsmith might even be able to do that by hand without pulling the barrel) - the 44mag chamber would be a bit fuller at the front end and that would allow fat cast projectiles in the thinner 44/40 brass - done carefully this should work pretty darn nice .
    Is twist good enough for 44-40? A friend of mine has a 92 in 357 and had to change the barrel because it didn’t shoot heavy bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Hace 3 Rossie's, no problems. #1 is a 45 colt, I've shot it very little, #2 is a 44-40 also shot very little, but a real hoot to shoot, #3 is a 454 C, what a deer slayer, handles 45 colt to full power 454's with no problems. but I found that anything over about 1200 fps puts too big a hole in a deer.
    BD

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    Yes, they function wonderfully... at least the three I've bought in the past 5 months have. I just had bad luck with sloppy chambers in the .357's... they would be great for someone that doesn't reload, or just wants to shoot 38 special level loads.
    As a visual aid, these are pics of 4 from the first 357, and 5 from the second 357...

Attachment 307447
    Attachment 307448
    Oh...I'd be less than amused if my brass came out like that too. My 45lc works ok but I'd like to make the feed gate less sharp. Works fine with round nose or the Lee profile but not SWC or others.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    Hace 3 Rossie's, no problems. #1 is a 45 colt, I've shot it very little, #2 is a 44-40 also shot very little, but a real hoot to shoot, #3 is a 454 C, what a deer slayer, handles 45 colt to full power 454's with no problems. but I found that anything over about 1200 fps puts too big a hole in a deer.
    BD
    It's not much weight for full house 454 loads. Do you find it kicks at all with those?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Is twist good enough for 44-40? A friend of mine has a 92 in 357 and had to change the barrel because it didn’t shoot heavy bullets.
    Where did the new barrel come from?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    JONP:
    kicks lik a 45 colt, which is a Ruger only load for the 45 colt. when I shot with a full house HP. it blew the back side out of the deer. Most of the shots in my area are 50 yards or less. no need to make a hole the size of a basketball to stop a WT deer.
    BD

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    BD
    I also like to eat them, not blow them up. For a few years I have used the Lee 300-RF at 1600 fps. I did some alloy testing and 1.5-1.5-97 WD barely mushroomed at 5 yards and I assume it quits mushrooming pretty quick after that as it loses speed. It leaves about a 1" hole and a 2" bruise around the hole.

Last year I used that bullet out of nearly pure lead with no GC in a muzzle loader sabot at 1600-1700 fps with 80 gr triple 7. Never again! I shot a doe at about 15 yards in the ribs and it almost ruined the front half of the deer. The entry hole was about as big as a softball, bruising on both shoulders and both backstraps and the entire ribcage was bruised in about a 16" circle like a large pizza.

So if you want a little more velocity for better trajectory harden up your alloy a bit to save some meat. I have had great luck hitting running deer with the slower 45 Colt compared to the 2000 fps 357 because it has the same lead as a shotgun.

Boolit Master
    I have only one Rossi 92 chambered in 454c. I have only shot one nice blacktail deer with it using a Sierra 300gr at about 1600 fps. It put a thumb size hole in the back of one shoulder and out just behind the far shoulder. Might have been a lb. or so of bloodshot meat around the entry hole but that was it.

I then bought the Lee 300 gr mold and am shooting it at 1950 fps but haven't shot anything with that boolit. No problems with the brass bulging and I assume the pressure is well above 44 mag pressure.

Boolit Master
    I have two Legacy arms made by Rossi in 480 Ruger. Standard length and a Carbine. accurate fun guns to shoot and hunt with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    It's not much weight for full house 454 loads. Do you find it kicks at all with those?
    Umm.....I've got one of those and yeah, maybe it kicks a little. I like shooting it in the summer with only a T-shirt.

Boolit Buddy
    Merry Christmas to the Rossi Posse!
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Buddy
    And merry Christmas to you, too! Wishing all the best to you all.....

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    It is a lot of fun with Underwood 360 grain, 1600+ out of the rifle.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Four-Sixty;5497411] ...Gate is stiff. It is a bit of work to load cartridges, but can largely be overcome with technique...

You can remove the gate, it's a flat one-piece item (gate and spring are one piece). If you file the edges of the spring near the middle
    it lightens the pressure. Don't need to remove much. While it's out file the inside edges of the hole. Mine would nick boolits,
    almost wouldn't load & almost trapped my finger! Much better now.

I replaced the ejector spring with a Horror Freight item, spring kit cost about $5, you get several.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/200-pie...set-67562.html
    It's the 7/32 x 1-1/2 you want. Makes action easier & doesn't toss empties into the next county.
    Of course you can polish all the mating surfaces while they're out.

Try rossi-rifleman.com, lots of tips there.

Oh yeah, 92/44 bought a few months ago, no bulging of brass.
    Needed an impact driver to remove front barrel band screw.
    Last edited by a.squibload; 12-29-2022 at 02:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    I'm quite happy with standard weight boolits 44/40 = 200-225 grain is fine, 357 mag = 158 grain is fine, ------wanna shoot heavy boolits ? get a bigger gun (45/70 or such)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    Rossi makes the 92 in .357, .44, .45 Colt. I'm pretty sure they even made it in .454 Casull for a short time.

I also have had bad experiences with Rossi, just lately. I got a stainless .357, and fired 5 rounds through it before I noticed that the brass was pretty heavily bulged down just above the base. It appears that the chamber was very sloppily cut. I sent it back, and waited for a couple of months for a replacement barrel, to be finally told that they don't make the stainless anymore. They offered to replace mine with a blued version, and I agreed. (not much choice) I was then told they would order it, and let me know when it was ready to ship to my FFL. Almost a month later, it arrived. It had the same problem, to a slightly lesser degree than the first one. Low pressure .357's would fire with no issues, and .38's would fire with no bulging issues at all.... but full house .357's showed bulges.
    I also have a blued .45 Colt version that shows bulges with anything more than "cowboy" loads.
    I'm done with Rossi 92's... I love the looks and functioning of them, but it appears they have serious issues with chambering.
    they did make a casull. I saw one at a local shop on Friday.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    they did make a casull. I saw one at a local shop on Friday.
    They certainly did. I own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast