RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 on sale

Boolit Buddy

Rossi 92 on sale

Sportsmans outdoor superstore has Rossi 92 's for sale for $609. Looks like 44 mag and 45 colt

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how complicated it might actually be, but I've thought more than once about how a '92 Rossi in .357 Bain & Davis might be received. For readers not familiar with the round, it is a .44 Magnum case, necked down to .357". The hope was to obtain/exceed the original advertised ballistics of the .357 Magnum cartridge, for use in large-frame revolvers and T-C Contenders. Like another "here and gone" high(er)-pressure bottle-necked revolver round I remember, the B&D seemed to work fairly well in Single-Action platforms, but less so in D-A revolvers. Case taper plus high pressures translated to case "set back" that was enough to make smooth cylinder rotation all but impossible after 3-5 rounds.
    For obvious reasons, the same operation problems would not be an issue in a lever-action carbine. Just thinking aloud, for now...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

Rossi makes two sizes of 92's the 357 and the 44 & 45. You would be looking at a custom barrel with a larger thread than the current 357. Then adapt it for the tube feed to hang from.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 11-29-2022 at 04:16 PM. Reason: brain dead fat fingering
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

OP was for 92, MT Gianni mentioned 94. Does Rossi make both in .357 and .44/.45 sizes? I've not looked at them in years, but would be interested in 92 version in .44. If they do make both, is one preferable over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    OP was for 92, MT Gianni mentioned 94. Does Rossi make both in .357 and .44/.45 sizes? I've not looked at them in years, but would be interested in 92 version in .44. If they do make both, is one preferable over the other?
    I have a 357 and a 45 colt, never knew they are different.
    Suppose to be a rainy day here tomorrow, I'm going to pull both from the safe and give a look.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 11-28-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spellin

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

If they offered it in 44-40, I'd be interested.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Rossi doesn’t make 94’s. That aside, given the same caliber and a choice between a 92 or 94, I’d go the 92. The 92 is inherently stronger due to the two locking lugs either side of the bolt as opposed to a small block at the back end of a 94. Having said that, I wouldn’t have a Rossi again. I had a bad experience with a lemon and they wouldn’t do anything about it. Wouldn’t feed and also left the factory with a forearm that was gouged clear through between the barrel and feed tube.

Boolit Master
    They used to make a .44-40 and I had one 25 or so years ago. Sold it to a "friend" at a cowboy club, he never came back and I was never paid. I'd like to have the rifle to shoot BP. It was a half octagon half round rifle length barrel. At that time there was no ammo available, and brass was as hard to find as most calibers are now. Eventually, Starline started making it along with .38-40. GF

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I'm not sure how complicated it might actually be, but I've thought more than once about how a '92 Rossi in .357 Bain & Davis might be received. For readers not familiar with the round, it is a .44 Magnum case, necked down to .357". The hope was to obtain/exceed the original advertised ballistics of the .357 Magnum cartridge, for use in large-frame revolvers and T-C Contenders. Like another "here and gone" high(er)-pressure bottle-necked revolver round I remember, the B&D seemed to work fairly well in Single-Action platforms, but less so in D-A revolvers. Case taper plus high pressures translated to case "set back" that was enough to make smooth cylinder rotation all but impossible after 3-5 rounds.
    For obvious reasons, the same operation problems would not be an issue in a lever-action carbine. Just thinking aloud, for now...
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Rossi makes the 92 in .357, .44, .45 Colt. I'm pretty sure they even made it in .454 Casull for a short time.

I also have had bad experiences with Rossi, just lately. I got a stainless .357, and fired 5 rounds through it before I noticed that the brass was pretty heavily bulged down just above the base. It appears that the chamber was very sloppily cut. I sent it back, and waited for a couple of months for a replacement barrel, to be finally told that they don't make the stainless anymore. They offered to replace mine with a blued version, and I agreed. (not much choice) I was then told they would order it, and let me know when it was ready to ship to my FFL. Almost a month later, it arrived. It had the same problem, to a slightly lesser degree than the first one. Low pressure .357's would fire with no issues, and .38's would fire with no bulging issues at all.... but full house .357's showed bulges.
    I also have a blued .45 Colt version that shows bulges with anything more than "cowboy" loads.
    I'm done with Rossi 92's... I love the looks and functioning of them, but it appears they have serious issues with chambering.

Boolit Buddy
    I've bought six of the new Rossi's built by cbc, two .45's and four .357's. no problems with any of them.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    I have a 357 and a 45 colt, never knew they are different.
    Suppose to be a rainy day here tomorrow, I'm going to pull both from the safe and give a look.

RP
    They are the same size.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If they offered it in 44-40, I'd be interested.

Rossi used to chamber their 92 in 44-40, I only know bc I have one.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    Rossi used to chamber their 92 in 44-40, I only know bc I have one.
    Yes, so did I. Once I went through the necessary fitting & polishing and tuning, it was a great little accurate carbine. A CAS buddy offered twice what I paid($400!) so in the interest of groceries/ bills- it went where ever it ended up.....
    I've also had 3 .357 Rossi carbines over time. They all needed feeding help, but shot very well.

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    They are the same size.
    I found that to be true.
    I found a very slight difference in the height of the receiver of 0.02" other than that nothing.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad to hear that everyone has had good luck with their Rossi's... like I said, I really like the looks and function.... I just don't want to buy a rifle and have to shoot puffball loads in it if I want to have reloadable brass afterward.
    I shot the 45 Rossi today, with S&B cowboy loads in it, with no issues at all. They chrono'd at almost 1100 fps. I plan to work up a load with a 250-ish cast bullet at around 1200-1250 (rifle velocities). That should thump anything that I will be shooting at... hogs, deer, horse apples.... I can live with that.
    The 357's were disappointing.... I now own a Henry side gate 357, 16"... and it doesn't bulge brass on full house 357 loads. Life is good.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a 357 and a 45 colt in the last 2 yrs, they're fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, they function wonderfully... at least the three I've bought in the past 5 months have. I just had bad luck with sloppy chambers in the .357's... they would be great for someone that doesn't reload, or just wants to shoot 38 special level loads.
    As a visual aid, these are pics of 4 from the first 357, and 5 from the second 357...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st 357.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	307447
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd 357.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	307448

Oh yeah, I'd be upset about that. That's sloppiness.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Oh yeah, I'd be upset about that. That's sloppiness.

yep ! they definitely done that wrong.

If I was getting a Rossi - I would buy a 44mag - get the chamber recut to 44/40 - (a clever gunsmith might even be able to do that by hand without pulling the barrel) - the 44mag chamber would be a bit fuller at the front end and that would allow fat cast projectiles in the thinner 44/40 brass - done carefully this should work pretty darn nice .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast