Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 on sale

Boolit Buddy
    Out of curiosity... why the 44-40 instead of the mag? If it's nostalgia, I get it. I do things like that, as well. I just wondered if there was a practical reason for doing it. Seems like brass would be more readily available for the mag, and it can be loaded down to whatever level you wish...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    Out of curiosity... why the 44-40 instead of the mag? If it's nostalgia, I get it. I do things like that, as well. I just wondered if there was a practical reason for doing it. Seems like brass would be more readily available for the mag, and it can be loaded down to whatever level you wish...
    call it nostalgia if you like -- got plenty 44/40 brass and its more readily available where I shop than the mag stuff - got the dies - 44/40 will hold a few grains more powder so its a better blackpowder round - also dont leak soot into the innards like the mag - if you wanna hotrod it the 44/40 will do anything (in a 92 action) that the mag can do - the round feeds better than the 44mag - I never found loading it the problem that some blokes do - so all positive for me

Boolit Buddy
    Got it.... that makes a lot of sense. I figured the feeding would be better, but I didn't know that brass was so readily available.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a new .357 in layaway jail, should have it out in a couple of weeks. If it bulges brass I'll give Rossi one chance to make it right, then trade on a Henry if they don't. My dealer will take care of the customer even if the factory won't.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    My .357's do not bulge the brass, man I'm sorry yours does that sucks.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

I have one in 357/38,and yep I paid for it! $1100.00 as new...but used, very...very lightly, a couple of trips to the range... and I see there still up there in price used...
    It's the newer model( safety on top) 16 inch round barrel, a real sweatheart of firearms. Shoot 357 and 38, with out a problem.
    Well built, the wood could be a little better...but it's hard to find a good factory wood stock on a newer built rifle anymore ( yes there are out there)
    Well built rifle, should be good for years.
    Cheers
    Brian
    I was going to go with a 44 mag 92...but tried one out..didn't like the kick...maybe with a longer or heavier barrel? But that would defeat the purpose...of having a very light rifle, with a good punch.

Boolit Master
    Full power .44 mag loads aren't too bad in mine with a soft slip-on recoil pad.

I've also thought about drilling some holes in the end of the stock under the buttplate to put some lead weights in. Probably just some cast bullets. That's more about improving the balance though, than adding weight. Like you say, part of the appeal of these little carbines is the light weight.

Boolit Master
    About Rossi refusing to fix problems. Do they deny existence of problems? Say that guns are in spec? Please share their responses.

Boolit Master
    Got it.... that makes a lot of sense. I figured the feeding would be better, but I didn't know that brass was so readily available.
    I havent shopped for brass for a couple years - likely I am behind the times on availability - maybe our LGS knows his customer base and is paying attention to their needs ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    OP was for 92, MT Gianni mentioned 94. Does Rossi make both in .357 and .44/.45 sizes? I've not looked at them in years, but would be interested in 92 version in .44. If they do make both, is one preferable over the other?
    The 45 Colts have SAAMI maximum sized chambers and if you full length resize the brass will split within a few reloads. A lot of people neck size, then resize the rest of the case with a Lee factory crimp die. That usually lets them chamber in a blackhawk but sometimes you will have a loaded round that only fits in your rifle.

The 44s have oversized bores up to .433. The 44 mag chamber is sometimes too tight to let you seat a 432 bullet. If you shoot a 44 mag levergun you will probably need a special expander die from NOE to open up the brass.

My choice has been 45 Colt for a few years now and I would rather have the ability to shoot an oversized plain base bullet than be stuck shooting jacketed or undersized gas checked bullets in a 44 with no chance for plain base accuracy. Plus the 45 Colt has a lot more juice than a 44 mag in the heavy bullets and light bullets if you are looking for magnum performance.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 12-04-2022 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    My .357's do not bulge the brass, man I'm sorry yours does that sucks.
    How old is your rifle?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine are the new guns made by CBC, they are better than the older ones from my experience. I've bought six and know of a few others, all were good to go right out of the box.
    Attachment 307713
    Last edited by r80rt; 12-06-2022 at 04:18 PM.

I bought a new 16" large loop in 357 Mag last month. I have no issues with bulged brass. Loading gate is not sharp like some have reported. Blueing is very good. One minor issue with the finish on the wood, some bubbles in an area near where the wood meets the metal. (Very minor) Gate is stiff. It is a bit of work to load cartridges, but can largely be overcome with technique. I am not a fan of the buckhorn sights. That is the one thing I want to change.
    Last edited by Four-Sixty; 12-11-2022 at 08:35 AM.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    I took my buckhorns to belt sander and flat topped them.

I can see myself doing that r80rt
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Mine are the new guns made by CBC, they are better than the older ones from my experience. I've bought six and know of a few others, all were good to go right out of the box.
    Attachment 307713
    Awesome! Let's hope that mine is good also.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I can see myself doing that r80rt
    It works great, a little touch up with cold blue and they look fine.
    Attachment 307774
    Last edited by r80rt; 12-07-2022 at 09:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, they function wonderfully... at least the three I've bought in the past 5 months have. I just had bad luck with sloppy chambers in the .357's... they would be great for someone that doesn't reload, or just wants to shoot 38 special level loads.
    As a visual aid, these are pics of 4 from the first 357, and 5 from the second 357...

Attachment 307447
    Attachment 307448
    Mine does the same thing. It also seems to always have unexplained feeding issues in the middle of a SASS stage. I haven't gotten rid of it but I did buy a 73 to shoot matches with. Overall I like the light weight of the 92 but it's not as smooth as the 73. If all I was doing with it was plinking, it'd be a great gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Dang, that ain't good. I reload and all of my brass is fine, no bulges.

Boolit Master
    I have a 20 year old stainless Mod 92 with 20" octagonal barrel in 45 Colt and have never had a problem with bulged brass.

I use Starline cases, which I run through a Lee carbide sizing die without any issues.

ukrifleman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast