Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encore Barrel Makers

Boolit Master

Encore Barrel Makers

My oldest son is ready to start rifle shooting at the range. I’m thinking about getting a .357 Max barrel for my Encore frame. I don’t need an expensive barrel made for competitions or anything special. Iron sights would be nice. I messaged Bullberry last weekend and have not received a response. Who makes Encore barrels?

Boolit Master

MGM makes barrels, but because a 357 Max is non standard barrel you may have to pay between 400 and 600 dollars depending if new or used.

https://matchgrademachine.com/produc...e-357-maximum/

Boolit Master
    Maybe standard .357 Mag is the way to go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Maybe standard .357 Mag is the way to go.
    I have one of those from MGM nice barrel but they are pricey too.

Boolit Master
    I’ve bought several MGM barrels for my Encores. They don’t charge you more to get a .357max because it’s “a non-standard caliber”. They simply use a .358 barrel blank for any of their .358 cartridges. All they do to make a .357max is run the reamer in the barrel blank to make that barrel. FWIW, my most recent 357max barrel is an SSK barrel and it’s shooting better than any of the three MGM barrels I’ve had. EABCO makes barrels for Encores also and they’re not quite as expensive.

Bullberry is out of business. MGM is my go to for Contender and Encore barrels.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I’ve bought several MGM barrels for my Encores. They don’t charge you more to get a .357max because it’s “a non-standard caliber”. They simply use a .358 barrel blank for any of their .358 cartridges. All they do to make a .357max is run the reamer in the barrel blank to make that barrel. FWIW, my most recent 357max barrel is an SSK barrel and it’s shooting better than any of the three MGM barrels I’ve had. EABCO makes barrels for Encores also and they’re not quite as expensive.

357 maximum is not a normal off the Self Encore barrel like a 308, 30-06 or 223.

Boolit Master

Here is another vender that sells MGM barrels they hav both 357 magnum and 357 Maximum

https://hausofarms.com/EncoreProhunt...e-_p_3128.html

Boolit Buddy

I took a .357mag barrel and borrowed a reamer from one of the forum members (cannot remember his name, sorry) and hand reamed it using plenty of lube.
    Life member NRA and Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Big bore air rifle shooter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    357 maximum is not a normal off the Self Encore barrel like a 308, 30-06 or 223.
    MGM carries very few finished barrels. If you visit their web site they’ll show what they have in finished inventory. At times they have .357max barrels and sometimes they don’t. As I stated, they don’t carry a large inventory of any caliber at any one time. Their business is making custom made barrels, not off the shelf inventory. If you’ve dealt with them in the past (I have several times) they make barrels in different diameters, lengths, contours, etc. They also offer different sight bases, fluting, etc. The list goes on and on. There’s nothing special about the 357max. If you want one, they take a barrel blank and run a reamer in it. I’m not guessing at any of this, I’ve bought seven barrels from them in different contours, flute styles, lengths, caliber, etc. As I said, VISIT THEIR WEB SITE and then you’ll know what they do there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Here is another vender that sells MGM barrels they hav both 357 magnum and 357 Maximum

https://hausofarms.com/EncoreProhunt...e-_p_3128.html

They also offer SSK barrels along with the MGM barrels. They will soon be offering SSK Contender frames to go along with the Contender barrels. Marty Ebbinghaus is a great guy to deal with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coaldust View Post
    I took a .357mag barrel and borrowed a reamer from one of the forum members (cannot remember his name, sorry) and hand reamed it using plenty of lube.

If you already have an MGM barrel in .357mag and want a .357max they’ll ream it out for you for a hundred bucks.

Boolit Master

If your teaching your son to shoot and want to a barrel the 308 or 243 also may be a choice. My 357 magnum barrel from MGM is okay, but I only shoot paper with it. If I was going to hunt with the Encore I would not waste time with a maximum I would get a 308 barrel. I also have a 38 special MGM contender barrel its okay too, but no better than the 357 magnum barrel from TC.

They have just increased in price so much and the MGM's are definitely not worth 500.00 to me but check out ebay they have a good number of standard calibers that TC sold off the self when they introduced the Encore.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of MGM barrels but do not forget EABCO too.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Yes, Eben (E Author Brown) does good work on single shots, He own BF as well as does Contenders and Encore guns stuff.
    were it Me, and I had a 357 Mag single shot barrel, I would just ream the chamber to a 357 Super Mag (max). It is roughly 1/4" longer, same case diameter. Then you can shoot SM, mag and 38 Spl in it. A no brainer.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

What he ^^^^^ said !

Boolit Mold
    I third that^. I bought two barrels from EAB and have no complaints. One of them I had a muzzle brake installed and the work was clean. Had them do a trigger job on the Encore receiver that was smooth as butter.

Boolit Master
    The SSK guys have allot of inventory when I looked last week I thought I saw a 357 Max or maybe tow on their site.

Boolit Buddy
    You could go the used route. Ed's TC is a good place to start.

Boolit Master
    This thread is like someone has been reading my mind.

I have a .45/70 Katahdin Encore, love the format but it’s not a lot of fun to shoot. I’ve replaced the rear sight with an EAB combo peep and rail, ended up with an XS front sight that’s taller than the OEM fiber optic. Clamped a 2.5x fixed Leupold on top and it’ll fill the freezer with venison. But I’ve gone to starting Trapdoor loads using 405gr NOE boolits to keep my fillings in place.

I’m thinking a similar 20” barrel in .357 Magnum would be a joy to shoot cast out of just for fun while still being deer capable at normal WV ranges if the mood moved me. After reading y’alls words of wisdom I think I’ll call EAB in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast