MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm crimp

Boolit Master
    The one think I find useful about the 9mm FCD is in de-Glock-ing brass before running them through the loading process. I've never had a problem with taper crimps in the 9mm, but the FCD does help with Glock bulges in the lower case on 9mm brass picked up from the range.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I have been loading 9mm cast boolits sized .356 for 20 years or so, no problem. However, the Lee Factory Crimp Die I won't use on bare cast. I do use it on jacketed bullets, and all it does is smooth out any bumps in the case that might hinder chambering. Never had any problems with it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I have been loading 9mm cast boolits sized .356 for 20 years or so, no problem. However, the Lee Factory Crimp Die I won't use on bare cast. I do use it on jacketed bullets, and all it does is smooth out any bumps in the case that might hinder chambering. Never had any problems with it.
    with what pistol sir? Many are in the .358 range, few are .355. I got a 92FS that was said to be shot out, no rifling. Indeed, there were none. But after deleading it, the rifling reappeared. Commercial cast 355 to blame here. The Lee FCD makes a good sizer die and you can machine a plug for decapping pin. Their dimensions are not right for lead, die is too small and it swages the boolet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    with what pistol sir? Many are in the .358 range, few are .355. I got a 92FS that was said to be shot out, no rifling. Indeed, there were none. But after deleading it, the rifling reappeared. Commercial cast 355 to blame here. The Lee FCD makes a good sizer die and you can machine a plug for decapping pin. Their dimensions are not right for lead, die is too small and it swages the boolet.
    I would agree with that, just from my experience-lead too hard and too small of a diameter thus not allowing obturation. resulting in keyholing and such. I powdercoat everything which allows me to go low on the BHN. 9mm j-words has me flabbergasted since they’re offered in 2 or 3 diameters. I guess it depends on your guns liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    All of them. CZ and Ruger. No issues for decades. In the last 15 years I have powder coated them, and sized after powder coating, Lee .356 push through sizer. No leading issues. A couple of random target photos with P-10C - I cannot remember the distance, probably 15 yards or so. At work, no access to other pics right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I would agree with that, just from my experience-lead too hard and too small of a diameter thus not allowing obturation. resulting in keyholing and such. I powdercoat everything which allows me to go low on the BHN. 9mm j-words has me flabbergasted since they’re offered in 2 or 3 diameters. I guess it depends on your guns liking.

MY J-word are all .355 over the years, and I have used cast sized to .358 that were given to me, but I have all sized my own cast down to .356. Slugs that I size to .358 I use in .38 Special.

Boolit Master

MY J-word are all .355 over the years, and I have used cast sized to .358 that were given to me, but I have all sized my own cast down to .356. Slugs that I size to .358 I use in .38 Special.
    Ok so dumb question, why ate j-words sold in .356 also?

The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

9mm Luger bullet diameters.

Most 9mm Luger AR types are straight blowback. They may fire out off battery, if bullet diameter is larger then the chamber throat.

Pistols, for the most part are delayed blow back, not all. They dont fire if action is not locked.

A standard taper crimp is all thats needed. But neck tension needs to be about .003"
    Last edited by 243winxb; 12-11-2022 at 06:38 PM.

I guess I'm about the only one here that likes the factory crimp die.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Ok so dumb question, why ate j-words sold in .356 also?

Why? Why not? It's a big diverse world.

Hornady sells a .356 HP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I guess I'm about the only one here that likes the factory crimp die.
    Nah, I like it as well. I use it for every semi auto cartridge that I reload for, just like I use a Redding profile crimp on every revolver cartridge I reload for.

I tend not to post about it much anymore because of the rampant badmouthing some folks here are prone to do regarding it.

My 2 cents The Lee "Factory Crimp die" is a brilliant marketing strategy, along with the "Perfect Powder measure."

It will only serve to correct any errors in my reloading processes. So, I save the money and reload correctly.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The lee factory crimp die works great in my 9mm with out issues but in the 10mm it shrinks my boolits to .400 just by inserting my load up into the die without any crimp applied. Jury is still out on the 10mm experiment but I’ve found that using my Hornady crimp die the largest I can keep my 10mm boolits are .403” with an outside case neck of .425” to get my ammo to plunk properly. Any larger case neck and my loads are to large and wont drop all the way into my chamber. I loaded up some .425” case neck diameter rounds but till have to test them for leading.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-13-2022 at 12:30 PM.

9mm crimp

I like the Lee FCD die. I use it for for cast and boolits. I have it for my 9mm along with a lot of my rifle die sets. I generally shoot for .003-.004. Crimp.

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 12-13-2022 at 12:36 PM.

By 9mm I presume you mean Luger. My 9 mm Kurtz (AKA 380 ACP) are smaller diameter than typical Lugers. I run .356 bullets in my 380's as they measure .355 where my Lugers measure .356 & one is a .357

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12