Lee Precision

Thread: Wyoming Dentist Uses GLOCK 10mm Pistol to Stop Grizzly Attack

Boolit Grand Master

Wyoming Dentist Uses GLOCK 10mm Pistol to Stop Grizzly Attack

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/11/wyo...#axzz7lOmQbOpe

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2022/11/wyo...#ixzz7lOn8NH3O
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

U.S.A. –-(AmmoLand.com)- On October, 21, 2022, Wyoming dentist, Dr. Lee Francis, 65 years old, was hunting elk with his 40-year-old son, in the area near Rock Creek, in the Sawtooth Mountains, east of Bondurant, Wyoming.

In this video from KSAL-TV, he gives an interview and explains what happened. Dr. Francis is an avid hunter and outdoorsman. He successfully collected a large grizzly bear with a bow and arrow in 2013. Several attempts to contact Dr. Francis have been unsuccessful.

Dr. Francis had separated from his son when he unintentionally stepped in front of the entrance to a bear den. He saw the fresh dirt, had drawn his Glock 10mm, chambered a round, and was backing away when the bear charged at him out of the den from 10 feet away.

The best interview about the encounter appears to have been in an article at cowboystatedaily.com. The article says Dr. Francis used 130-grain hardcast bullets in his 10mm Glock.

“He came right at me, and he came on full blast,” the elder Francis said.

Counting the cartridge already in the chamber, he had 14 rounds loaded with 130 grain hard cast bullets in his Glock.

“I just remember shooting three or for times, right before he hit me,” he said. “Then I went down on my back.”…

Hard cast bullets will punch through a bruin’s body, instead of rapidly expanding and expending their energy in massive, shallow wounds
    the way that hollow point bullets do, he said.

“Hollow points are meant for stopping people, not bears,” he said, adding that it was also fortunate for him that his weapon was loaded
    with hard cast bullets.

“A hit from a hollow point would have probably just exploded my whole foot,” he said.

He also said he favors the high-capacity, semi-automatic Glock over magnum revolvers.

130-grain hardcast bullets for a 10mm would be unusual. Perhaps it is a typo or misreading of notes, where another weight of bullet was intended. Buffalo Bore has a 220-grain hardcast bullets loaded for bear in the 10mm.

Dr. Francis was attempting to fend off the bear with his feet when he accidentally wounded himself.
    In the over 123 documented cases where pistols were fired in defense against bears, I recall only two where the person firing the pistol wounded themselves.

Coincidentally, both were with 10mm pistols. Both happened as the defender fell on their back and attempted to fend off the bear with their feet.

The first case was with Kim Woodman who had to shoot a grizzly sow at a bad breath distance in 2016. Kim was backing away from the bear when he tripped and went over backward. He continued to fire, and shot the tip-off of the middle toe of his left foot as he shot the bear and attempted to block it with his foot at the same time.

Police officers train to be able to back up without falling, and failing that, to avoid shooting their legs or feet if they fall backward.

Those techniques can be handy for people who carry pistols as a potential defense against bears. Here is one video on shooting while moving. Here is one for shooting from your back. The important thing to practice is not to point the muzzle at your own body, obviously a more difficult task in the middle of a fight for your life.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    He’s lucky he had the chance to chamber a round before the charge.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never understood the wisdom of not having a round chambered.

130 gr seems like an error
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    My guess the 130 is a typo; maybe should be 180 grain bullet. A more or less standard weight in the 10mm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have never understood the wisdom of not having a round chambered. 130 gr. seems like an error.
    I couldn't agree more. Empty chambers just give your aggressor a "head start". The 130 gr. weight also seems suspect to me. I guess it COULD be some weird heavy-clad FMJ, designed to achieve maximal velocity(thus penetration), but I've never heard of a projectile like that being made for 10mm.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post

“I just remember shooting three or for times, right before he hit me,” he said. “Then I went down on my back.”…

He also said he favors the high-capacity, semi-automatic Glock over magnum revolvers.
    If I’m ever in grizzly country, I’ll be taking a .454 Casull loaded with hard cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    M-Tec, where does your data on bear defense shootings come from?

And yet another bear stopped with a 10mm semi-auto. That seems to be the optimum bear country handgun, capable of firing lots of bullets fast.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    M-Tec, where does your data on bear defense shootings come from?
    https://www.ammoland.com/2022/04/upd...#axzz7lagxppoh
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    And yet another bear stopped with a 10mm semi-auto. That seems to be the optimum bear country handgun, capable of firing lots of bullets fast.

DG
    The semi-professional Black Bear hunters I know mostly carry 10 mm pistols when guiding hunts.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    In that case, if what I had was a “Ten”, I would use it but I prefer round shooters. Bigger ones.

This whole thing about autoloaders is the dry chamber business plus being restricted to bullet shape.

It’s a free country and those that trade power for more rounds can do so but it’s not my cup of tea.

For me, it’s either a 44mag or the 480 Ruger in a DA Revolver format.

I know lots of folks are not as lucky as I am in being able to shoot at home. It took a lot of rounds down range over an extended period but profiency with an autoloader may require even more?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Three44s--I used to think as you presently do, but you have to ask yourself with something like a .480 what are you chances of getting off a 2nd or 3rd accurate shot? That's a lot of recoil to recover from and get back on target. Brother Bar comes a-runnin' quickly. As for the "dry chamber", not if it's my hide that's strolling through bear country!

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Three44s--I used to think as you presently do, but you have to ask yourself with something like a .480 what are you chances of getting off a 2nd or 3rd accurate shot? That's a lot of recoil to recover from and get back on target. Brother Bar comes a-runnin' quickly. As for the "dry chamber", not if it's my hide that's strolling through bear country!

DG
    For my first 41 years of life, I was in the category of believing the gun writers that wrote of the tremendous recoil of big bore revolvers, the 44 mag being the most prevalent of that era.

But a circumstance developed where I felt I was going to be facing a possible grizzly. That placed me on the horns of a dilemma. I did a lot of research and since I am a rancher and could well face a bear while horseback, a handgun was the only solution. A long gun on a quickly departing horse while I pull myself together after being dumped sounded like a poor outcome in the making.

I had a Smith 4506 at the time but I discounted it on several points. One was operating it, the other was suitable bullet shape and overall power.

It was traded for my current 7.5” Redhawk SS Hunter in 44 mag.

Now granted the factory stuff I started with was a bear cat but the Ruger wooden factory handles did not help either. A pair of Uncle Mikes rubber grips helped a lot.

The biggest change was hand loading and lots of informal range time. I used a Smith in 22lr and downloaded .44s. As I grew accustomed to the big gun my eye focused on the 629 Smith Mountain Gun. The big Ruger is more of a hunting arm, the Smith of that flavor more of a defensive weapon.

My ultimate project came along as a SRH in .44 mag with a 9.5” barrel. My plan was to get it shortened. I never did and though I loved it I traded it for the same but in 480 Ruger.

In my practice sessions I only shoot full house at the end of the run. I do shot a lot of mild to upper mid-range. However the preponderance of rounds are .22 Lr.

A friend brought over his Smith 329 and his bear loads and though it was wearing factory wood grips it was not bad, nothing like it is claimed to be.

My only regret is that I did not take up big bore revolvers as soon as I came of age! It took a lot of productive range time to erase the years of negative BS from the gun magazines.

Three44s

Boolit Mold
    Both my son (as a guide) and my wife and I (as cooks) worked in the Grizzly country west of Bondurant for several years. We all had .44 mags handy most of the time when in camp and afield. Thankfully, we never needed them. However, as we've aged we've found that putting multiple shots on target with the S&W Model 29s shooting heavy loads DA became nigh on impossible. Hence we switched to the 10mm autoloader with 200gr. hard cast RNFP-GC bullets running a bit over 1200fps. Multiple shots that hit are better than those that don't hit, or even get fired IOHO.
    Firearm's resale value should be your children's problem.
    NRA Life, USPSA # CL 58, IDPA A00556

You're a wise man, 44. Stress and recoil can be offset by practice. Lots of regular practice. My theory is that 10mm is about the max I can do well with anymore, so the first shot would be hastily aimed, and the subsequent shots (assuming any!) would be fired so rapidly that the bear would have time getting through the lead curtain unscathed. Kind of like getting 25 ft. through a snow storm without having a few flakes land on you!

DG

Boolit Master
    As I age I can definitely draw down on my bear loads as need be with my big revolvers. In fact in deference to my Smith MG, I run the RCBS 250K and the Speer 270 gr Gold Dot as my heaviest slugs in it. The Rugers are fed the full range of slugs though.

It’s good we have choices, it’s personal defense and personal choice.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Where did the notion come from he had an empty chamber?

Clearly states that he had 13+ 1 IN CHAMBER for 14 total rounds.
    Obviously 130gr was a misread of 180gr Hard Cast bullets.
    Obviously he was well armed.

Not all grizzlies are 1,000+pound bruisers (Kodiac Browns).
    Most inland grizzlies run 400-800lbs. Still nothing to trifle with.

I know right where he was hunting as I’ve elk hunted in that same vicinity.
    I’m speculating he wasn’t so “accidentally” in front of the den, but scouting for his next bear hunt...

My first question is, if he was hunting elk, didn’t he have a rifle?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Where did the notion come from he had an empty chamber?

Clearly states that he had 13+ 1 IN CHAMBER for 14 total rounds.
    Obviously 130gr was a misread of 180gr Hard Cast bullets.
    Obviously he was well armed.

Not all grizzlies are 1,000+pound bruisers (Kodiac Browns).
    Most inland grizzlies run 400-800lbs. Still nothing to trifle with.

I know right where he was hunting as I’ve elk hunted in that same vicinity.
    I’m speculating he wasn’t so “accidentally” in front of the den, but scouting for his next bear hunt...

"Dr. Francis had separated from his son when he unintentionally stepped in front of the entrance to a bear den. He saw the fresh dirt, had drawn his Glock 10mm, CHAMBERED A ROUND, and was backing away when the bear charged at him out of the den from 10 feet away."

States quite clearly..."chambered a round"....a lot of non-gun carriers carry Condition III.

G20/G40...15 is the magazine capacity...if it had been topped-off it would had 16...15+1.

The size of a grizzly isn't the major problem...it's their attitude.

Bob